cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: what retro re-introduction after the Bronco?

We've had a LOT of Bronco coverage these past few weeks, which got me thinking: What is the next retro automotive icon that should come back into production?   

Let's make it harder by NOT allowing dead brands: You CANNOT buy something from a nonexistent dealer network! 

• Right answer: Acura Integra
  • Wrong answer: Pontiac Fiero
  • Right answer: Ford Aerostar (come on, MAKE IT HAPPEN!) 
  • Wrong answer: Mercury Capri
  • Right answer: Jaguar XKE
  • Wrong answer: Jensen Interceptor
  • Right answer:  Cadillac Fleetwood
  • Wrong answer: Oldsmobile 98 Regency

s-l400.jpg

46 REPLIES 46
tamuscott
Pit Crew

Chevy Citation. It’ll give Chevrolet the opportunity to have another front engine muscle car for those who don’t like the new Vette. 

F6F9FE2B-C743-4332-82DD-8FDDBD6A414E.jpeg

And they might be able to just flatten out a new truck to start. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

I like the way you think! The X-11 was very underrated to boot. 

Patl
Intermediate Driver

Ford Pinto.  Yes Pinto  2 door wagon, bear with me.

Ford Pinto Wagon.JPG

What America needs is a american made true proper shooting brake (think Aston Martin Vanquish Zagato shape). Ford could could use Mustang underpinnings. Their 2.3L EcoBoost turbocharged 4 cyl engine, 310 horsepower / 350 lb.-ft. of torque, mated to 6-speed manual trans and IRLS rear axle, would be cool on a smaller and lighter 2 door shooting brake, they could offer AWD too. Name it the Pinto GT Country Squire Wagon. It won’t “muddy” the Mustang name or heritage. Make mine a Pinto GT 500 Country Squire Wagon. Ford would have to offer optional genuine simulated wood grain contact paper sides too.

TomP
Pit Crew

Slabside Lincoln with a modern take.  Maybe something akin to the 2003-2004 Mercury Marauder, but with straighter body panels.

Bradley
New Driver

The Mercury Cougar. Both a convertible and an Eliminator model. Based on the 2021 Mustang/Shelby platform.

Patl
Intermediate Driver

You can’t go to a Mercury dealer today and buy one. Putting it in Wrong answer: category. I do like the idea. So have Ford call it the Thunderbird again….oh wait, the Thunderbird again would have then be called the Phoenix. Oh wait that also would be in the Wrong answer: category too. So does that mean @tamuscott had it right with the Chevy Citation X11?

Sajeev
Community Manager

Well if that's the case, the 2002 Thunderbird shoulda been called the Phoenix. 😉

Patl
Intermediate Driver

Third times a Charm!…Oh wait, that would make it a Toyota Passo Moda in Japan. 

MarkHiatt
New Driver

Nope! No dead brands, remember?

Dggumby
New Driver

I agree. I think Ford should have reintroduced the Cougar right along with the new Mustang. Might’ve helped Mercury last a little longer...

gerald102413
New Driver

I hope to one day see the Mercury Cougar with a real makeover with the 80's, early 90's exterior body style. 

gincledon
New Driver

How about a two door Charger.
BIGHOCK
Pit Crew

Buick Grand National - GNX

Buick Grand National - GNX.jpg

zeke
New Driver

The 1970 'Cuda (which I had in high school).  I know "Plymouth" is dead but not Mopar.

Skipe
New Driver

I agree. The Cuda had some of the best styling ever. 

BIGHOCK
Pit Crew

The HEMI 'Cuda was my 1st choice but as stated Plymouth is defunked. Another was a Pontiac GTO or the Solstice GXP but as Plythouth, Pontiac is long gone 😞

gto.jpgsolstice.jpg

BIGHOCK
Pit Crew

TOYOTA - MR 2 Turbo

TOYOTA-MR-00.jpg

70cuda
New Driver

Totally agree I also had a Cuda when I graduated high school and I have one now.

joepags
New Driver

I would absolutely love to see a new RX-7!  The FD was one of the most beautifully sculpted bodies - mated to a hair curling red line.  We need a new version that follows that lineage - NOT the RX-Vision with the king sized mattress of a hood.FD RX-7.jpg

Vcdoorco4
Intermediate Driver

Yes, stay true to the RX-7 roots. Keep it simple and target sports car guys. The dash should have gages, the console should have a stick, and it should make your ears bleed at redline. (So, no $3500 Bowers & Wilkins sound system needed)
Karmannn
Pit Crew

Fiat x-19

JimR
Advanced Driver

2D6C5C66-C37F-41E1-96F1-B700DAEABB3D.jpeg

@joepags 

You beat me to it. But I order to keep it in lineage it needs to be rotary. Mazda still produces the short-block used for the 13bREW. Maybe modernizing the sequential system and shipping the car to the owner for “final assembly” could get them around the CARB and CAFE hurdles. ??

Fun to dream. 

Marktodo
New Driver

How about a 356. Keep it light  , miminimal electronics, the turbo four from the Cayman . 250 hp , great suspension . Under $50 grand . It would kill it . I am ready with a deposit

Vcdoorco4
Intermediate Driver

👍
Malulo
New Driver

Subaru BRAT, complete with the rumble seats in the back. And no, the Baja doesn't count. 

win59
Intermediate Driver

Bugeye Sprite.

zachary
Pit Crew

I would like to see the return of the 70-71 Monte Carlo SS. Make it a true 2 door hardtop with the a powerful LS engine.
northsideirish
Pit Crew

Triumph TR6, which technically is not dead as the rights are owned by BMW, if we could convince them to get rid of the crappy Mini Cooper. tr6 (2).jpg

BIGHOCK
Pit Crew

BMW ---- M1 

Germany's 1st Super Car .... Bring it back with sick HP or 4 wheel electric motors !

M1.jpg

BIGHOCK
Pit Crew

Here is another oddball this time..... bring it back revised to compete with the new Bronco.

VOLKSWAGEN - THING

vw thing.jpg

tuko66
New Driver

Lincoln Town Car.  Use the same last generation design but upgrade with AWD and modern technology. Pull the V8 out of mothballs because hey...it's a Town Car. The car will sell like hotcakes. This SUV virus has to be stopped.

Rick2
Intermediate Driver

Toyota MR2, make it light and affordable. Also any small regular cab pick up without all the bells & whistles.

Vcdoorco4
Intermediate Driver

Rusty
New Driver

Honda Prelude. 

Karmannn
Pit Crew

Porsche 914

Karmannn
Pit Crew

Porsche 914
New Driver

a full size 2 door chevy blazer based on the silverado.

Werblink
New Driver

1968 thru 1970 Dodge Super Bee ( or an R/T if you wanted a convertible). I had one of each year through high school and college, although the 69 was a parts car. Liked the Coronet Bee cars better than my 71 Charger R/T. They were all cheap during the oil embargo days.
61Rampy
Pit Crew

Easy... bring back the late model Corvair!  Modern, flat 6 or 8 DOHC engine, still rear mounted. Air cooling probably gone, as Porsche did, but with modern electronics and fuel injection, plus turbocharging (remember, the Corvair was among the first).  Make it a drivers car. Don't hang a bunch of useless electronic crap on it. Sell it for about $25-30k. Too bad GM didn't have bigger balls back then, and they probably still don't.

Jmoore58
New Driver

Roadrunner on charger frame , make it two doors , charger with two doors ,make lock like 68 to 70,

el camino ss using camaro frame and part front end 

falcon or fair lane using Taurus frame using 63 spirit , 

nova 67 to 70 

ranchero using Taurus frame , make look 68 to 72 ,

62 impala using the 2018 impala frame and v8 and v6 motors

CarciergeGlenn
Intermediate Driver

A full AMC line-up.  No SUV's, car.  Hear me out.  AMC was purchased by Chrysler in 1987, so could be resurrected.  Just as Plymouth could be.  There's a dealer network, called Jeep?  You know, the company AMC bought in 1970?  Back in 2008, Hot Rod magazine did an April fools spoof, but to be honest, the cars don't look too bad!  When the SUV craze ends (and it will some day), people will be wanting CARS again.  Build them in the USA, you know, AMC stands for AMERICAN MOTORS CORPORATION.  http://nspmotorsports.blogspot.com/2010/02/future-amc-concept-cars.html

Sajeev
Community Manager

You bring up a good point.  In theory Mercury/Plymouth/Pontiac & Oldsmobile could be also sold in Lincoln/FCA/Buick dealerships.  Someone would have to pay for the signage, but I guess that's a drop in the bucket relative to building a retail presence from scratch. 

lowmiles
New Driver

El Camino

gerald102413
New Driver

I would love to see one day the return of the Plymouth Duster. My father had one when I was a kid and love that car. The future is endless!!!

hyperv6
Instructor

None of the above. The Retro thing has played out and it is time for new and modern new classics to be created. 

Not doing new models with new names is lower risk but lazy. Automakers are facing a much different future so they are going to find they will have to step out and be bold again. 

While I am not a big EV fan I applaud Cadillac for taking a big swing at the future. They are creating a new future and not trying to take some converted ICE models and trying to pass them off as great cars. They also are not trying to pass off old names as the new vehicles. 

Yes this is a risky move but I feel they will pull this off and create a new image for a very damaged name plate. 

Nearly every car on the list above is forgettable as are many suggested names. I am not a snob as I even own one of the named cars. It had its time but time has moved on. 

if we never had companies taking risks we would never have had steel bodies, auto transmissions, the 55 Chevy and small block, the Corvette, the Mustang etc. Not all were successful in risky moves but when they were they changed the industry. 

I hate Elon Musk but he proved people will pay more money for a better EV car vs the cheap odd looking science experiment looking cars that made no money. It Changed how GM and VW looked at the market and they soon will be a dominate factor with EV cars that will not make us change our live styles to live with. 

Sorry it is cold and wet here so I am in rant mode. Just got to let it out when you have cabin fever. Lol!

gerald102413
New Driver

Excellent point and GM is taking a leap of chance to continue to move forward to invent new concepts for the future of GM. You have to take a leap of faith or take risk in this case to move forward or otherwise, they'll be stuck in the stone age.