cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: What products for humans also work on cars?

It's a straightforward question this time:  what can you use both on/in your body and your vehicle?  The easiest answer is probably the bottled lotion (and shampoo/conditioner) from hotels for interior vinyl and leather trim, like the stuff below from a Hyatt hotel (that I use on the fancy FX4 Level II shift boot on my Ranger XLT). 

IMG_3741.jpg

I don't recommend the cheap hotel (oil based?) lotion as its not that great for your skin and it doesn't soften leather very well, nor does it last very long. Anyone have any other human products that are great for cars? 

23 REPLIES 23
hyperv6
Technician

I have used gritty tooth past to remove glaze on v belts and pulleys. 

Thin coating and make sure to shut the hood before starting. 

It has removed stubborn noises permanently. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Wow, that's a way better use for it compared to the toothpaste on yellowed headlight trick. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Dawn dish soap is a pretty good engine degreaser.

Nitro

JimR
Instructor

Vaseline on things like injector ‘O’ rings while seating them in the fuel rail. 

White vinegar to remove light surface corrosion on a metal surface. 

Patl
Intermediate Driver

Isn't the easiest answer a tee shirt?

🤔 staring to wonder how many different ways to use a tee shirt on cars, maybe that's the next question?

Sajeev
Community Manager

I think we have a winner!  

spoom
Technician

Answering for a friend; "A gearshift knob". 😉
Torino
Advanced Driver

duct tape. a million and one ' temporary' repairs for your vehicle and works better than band-aids when you do that nasty ' oh yea that's bleedin' knuckle buster. the glue acts a disinfectant too i think but a quick spray of carb cleaner never hurts (just stings a bit). - (ps) gear shift knob? way too funny.

spoom
Technician

Never encourage me... 🤔

Torino
Advanced Driver

and now the comedy stylings  of....

JimR
Instructor

Well if we’re going there...how about silicone? Works to install rubber grommets and rubber seals. A skim of clear silicone caulk works great to stop plastic on plastic interior squeaks. And I think we all know what’s it’s good for on humans. 🤔😉

Torino
Advanced Driver

are you sure you're on the right ' forum' ? soon you'll be writing - 'dear hagerty you probably won't believe this but....'  and don't even get me started on trailer hitches.

Torino
Advanced Driver

(ps) re: silicone, you mean sealing leaking gutters right?

JimR
Instructor

For the record this is Sajeev’s fault...and that’s the story I’m sticking with. So I don’t intend to show any sympathy when he reads this, and has to deal with it on Monday morning. 😛

Sajeev
Community Manager

@JimR Hey I made my bed, and now I have to lie in it...

Guitar74
Gearhead

I have two: Skin so Soft lotion for your dashboard,  and superglue. Developed to patch up veterans (the glue not the lotion. I know that seems obvious but since we already went down one rabbit hole...) and became a household adhesive. 

Peanut
New Driver

Vaseline for “nourishing” Fuchs wheels, especially those with black centers... brings them back from dry, grey.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I definitely wasn't expecting this thread to turn in quite this direction! 

BillyBuick
Intermediate Driver

Your girlfriend's panty hose. Works great if your fan belt breaks. "Gee honey, I need you to take off your panty hose."

rushgator2112
Pit Crew

I hesitated to add this, but after reading some other comments, what the hay...

KY Jelly or any other brand of "personal lubricant" works great on installing stubborn radiator hoses. Put a little KY inside the hose and it slips right onto the fitting. But of course you probably already knew that, didn't you?

Torino
Advanced Driver

oh, right. that's what the pharmacist meant!  k,y, i thought he was talking about shocks and struts. here we go again.

Spuds
Advanced Driver

Panty Hose??? Good to see you're back Rip Van Winkle!  🙂

jonZ
Instructor

A couple bottles of 100 proof Absolute Vodka. It'll get a 144ci Ford in line six about a mile down the road.