cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyle

Community Question: What is the coolest car named after an animal?

Manufacturers select cars names in a variety of way, sometimes out of thin air (looking at you Camaro), but some of the best derive from the animal kingdom. Whether Ford Mustang or Dodge Colt, or maybe you are more of a Road Runner type of person, let us know in the comments below which is your favorite. 

62 REPLIES 62
TeutonicScot
Intermediate Driver

Well, if you consider fish as animals, I've always though that Barracuda was one of the best. Triumph Stag was pretty cool too when sorted.

As for big cats, there have been Tigers, Lions, Jaguars, Cheetahs, Cougars, Panthers & Leopards. Some were more cool than others in that group.

sir_keith
New Driver

Of course fishes are animals! And yes, Barracuda is right up there. Love the song, too.

DublD
Pit Crew

I've always thought Mustang and Barracuda sounded strong and fast. Add a couple extra 's' to Mustang and think of the song Barracuda by Heart to add a twist to the pronunciation. (drives my wife crazy when I do that, not in a good way)
Mar65
New Driver

Yes ,a fish is part of the Animal Kingdom- Zoology 101

Sajeev
Community Manager

Definitely the Mercury Lynx XR3

1987lynxr32.png

TeutonicScot
Intermediate Driver

Ah yes....the Lynx..

And lest we forget, the Bobcat and the Puma. The early GTB was a pretty decent car and looked pretty cool and decent power, lightweight and a 4.0 straight six.Gtb9.jpg

CarlJensen
Pit Crew

Bearcat

maggie
New Driver

Personally I think it has to be the AMC Gremlin.

cestor01
Pit Crew

I am not sure Gremlin would classify as an animal.

hb
Intermediate Driver

Hands down it's Jaguar. The entire Coventry company was called Jaguar Cars Ltd.

sir_keith
New Driver

Duh!  COBRA!!!

Rick57
New Driver

Plymouth Barracuda!

Markdonc
New Driver

63-67 Stingray 

oldnasty1937
Pit Crew

Definitely the Barracuda.

pmb
New Driver

All the 'real car people' should remember that the Mustang was named after an airplane.... 😉

TonyT
Advanced Driver

If it was named after the airplane, why does it have a horse emblem?
Jay_Emm
New Driver

And the Mustang emblem was a horse because? 😉

jspboss1
Pit Crew

No contest ............................... COBRA  !!!!

Puma
New Driver

I preferred my '67 Cougar.  With a little upgrading it devoured most of the Mustangs it encountered.

JG
New Driver

Are you kidding? Why it's Bill Thomas' 1964-1966 Cheetah (sorry Carroll)!!! Ah! If it only had brakes Jerry Grant would have easily won the Rose Cup.

JG

RedRyder_SFZ
Intermediate Driver

I’m a Ford guy. Bronco and Mustang are great and successful name plates. But I will say that Mako Shark vette was a cool car. That blue paint and slick body work was  unforgettable...and the name is unique. 

bpar73
Intermediate Driver

Sunbeam Tiger

JC
New Driver

Impala - Since 1958

Craig
New Driver

I have two of them, so clearly I like the name Stingray.

Also, as a scuba diver, they are really neat ocean critters whose influence on designers is very clear.

Bunka
Intermediate Driver

De Tomaso Pantera Translates to Mongoose, an animal that can kill a Cobra ( a little jab there) and Panther.  

TeutonicScot
Intermediate Driver

@Bunka, Pantera translates to Panther, you're thinking of the Mangusta...

Trashboat
Pit Crew

It has to be Ford Falcon! Coolest of all birds 🐦 Or maybe The Ford Bronco! The greatest type of horse 🐴!

cerg82
New Driver

AC Cobra 

MustangSmitty
New Driver

Road Runner.

pallettman
New Driver

I think it is the VW Beetle. I realize it is not a true name, but if you ask people what a VW Type 1 is you will get a blank stare. But ask them about a VW Beetle, everybody knows.

NewHawkGuy
New Driver

Being a Studebaker "Hawk" owner...  Chevy Impala is also worthy.

Olivier
New Driver

De Tomaso Mangusta and Pantera
Lamborghini Islero, Miura, Urraco, Jalpa, Murciélago, Reventón, Gallardo, Aventador, Veneno, Huracán (all bulls, many of them individual animals)
Dodge Viper

More of a stretch
VW Phaeton (a horse in Greek mythology)
Alfa Romeo Spider
Any roadster: This was originally a 19th century word for a horse used for traveling (as opposed to working in fields)

A bit less cool (although...)
VW Beetle
VW Fox
VW Lupo
Mitsubishi Colt
Opel Tigra
Fiat Panda
M2Pilot
New Driver

Humber Super Snipe

Alotamiata
New Driver

Hyundai Tiburon. Spanish for shark. 

Jay_Emm
New Driver

No doubt about it! The coolest car, period, is the Shelby AC Cobra

Pitt2500
New Driver

Steyr Pinzgauer (Cattle - It was in the past a triple-purpose breed, raised for meat, milk and draught use.) 710/712

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_High-Mobility_All-Terrain_Vehicle

Pinz 710 & 712 measurements 

Cstacey
New Driver

Lamborghini Miura - the bull!
TimK
Intermediate Driver

Though it didn't go into production, the 1963 Cougar prototype is my choice. I saw this car around 1997 while it was on loan to Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry. I hope when returned to Ford it wasn't damaged while displayed like Craig Breedlove's Spirit of America was.

1963_Ford_Cougar-II_01.jpg

roger
New Driver

Chevy Impala. Always Top of the Line. Looks, styling, power options.

AutomoDesignCo
New Driver

Funny enough, I designed an art print for Automo that showed the taxonomy of car names and nearly half of it was take up by names from animals! 

I have to say my personal favorite is probably the TVR Chimaera

AutomoDesignCo_0-1587408782374.png

Poster is here https://automodesign.co/collections/art-prints/products/taxonomy-of-car-model-names-infographic-art-...

TEKBullitt
New Driver

Mustang
sorrktm
Pit Crew

No contest ...  Cobra!

Dadmog
New Driver

The Flying Wombat. (Really. You can look it up) from the movie "Young at Heart" in 1938. Much cooler than the car's real name, the Phantom Corsair.
CalBehr
New Driver

Sunbeam Tiger with Shelby’s Cobra Ford engine. A real “tiger” in sheep’s clothing!

Numberscruncher
Intermediate Driver

First Generation Mustang, of course.

Lightning
New Driver

I vote for the Chevy-powered Cheetah.  Very rare and very unusual appearance.

Cougar67
New Driver

Cougar.  '67 to '69.

fotogmike
Pit Crew

Even though I own a Road Runner, I think Bill Thomas's Cheetah was the coolest.

Craige
New Driver

The Mercury Cougar, the early years.