cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: What impersonal-personal touch have you added to your car?

I'll admit it, I am a huge fan of making changes that are so subtle that very few people realize my work wasn't actually done by the factory. 

While it's pretty clear to most that no 1995-2011 Ford Ranger ever came with a fancy touchscreen navigation/CarPlay stereo, I found one that looked subtle enough for my tastes and later learned you can change the boot screen to any image you want.  Since I like how many new cars load up with a company logo on their screens, I got a graphic designer friend to make me something very similar...but using period correct graphics. 

It's personalized to me, but still impersonal since it's just a Ranger XLT logo ... so the question remains, what impersonal-personal touch have you added to your car?

IMG_4824.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Rob1
Instructor

Nice job Sajeev and I do understand what is meant by personal/impersonal but none of my vehicles fall into both LOL although personal to me IE: vanity plates, oversize tires, lift kits,mungus front mount winch,glass tint,alloy wheels,new stereo radio's that quite honestly I still have a hard time figuring out how to operate yep good ole red neck engineering here.My wife gives me a hard time about our tow vehicle a F 350 4x4 as we are getting (up there) older she is a short small girl and has to scale the side of the truck to get in and I want to lift it more she has put her foot down on that LOL which i dont understand as she is a horse rider and the horse is higher but that argument just doesnt hold water,but she does get a kick out of haulin her horse trailer pulling into a gas station and pirouetting out of the truck on the many grab handles as young fellas look on at this lifted done up truck with a granny at the wheel rather than a leather faced cowboy she gets looks at every event she attends.Cheers R 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Well I personally think your argument holds water, but hey, that's probably why I am still a single guy. 🙂 

JimR
Instructor

A certain 52 Chevy convertible was handed down to me thru two older brothers for a high school car. By then the old 216 was burning more oil than gas. Dad acquired a 54 Chevy with a 235 and told his then 15 year old to “get it running”.  Some will know that the 235 is much improved over the older 216, with full-pressure oiling, aluminum pistons and hydraulic lifters among other changes.

After it ran and he was satisfied he told me to swap it into the 52.  
Still have the car 50 years later, which still has that subtle personal, but impersonal, modification. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

I love it! That's an amazing impersonal/personal modification! 

JimR
Instructor

3A7315E5-87A0-424D-81AB-206BB217F4B9.jpeg

Years ago I source aftermarket rear shock tower brace for my other car that was strong enough to be suitable as a harness bar. Useful for stuff like autocross which I did back in the day. It’s a fairly rare item these days and I just recently dressed it up a bit with a RX7 emblem made by a specialty vendor. Subtle, personal and impersonal...since it tends to make the bar look OEM. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Now that is a nice touch.  It's always the little things that impress me, and that's a great example of attention to detail.