cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: Then & Now photography for your car?

Photography has changed in a past few decades, and I have used several different cameras over the years for my automotive projects. The first one is a Topcon RE Super that my father gave me when I was in my 20s. 

By Jan von Erpecom - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8947228By Jan von Erpecom - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8947228

It took great photos, had some cool tricks like a view finder you could use at waist level (apparently popular with government agencies), but sadly it now collects dust in the digital age. I eventually got a point and shoot digital camera, which was pretty junky compared to the Topcon. I still used it in the Blackberry age, but once I got a modern smart phone I've gone full digital for 99% of my work.  Now I have an old iPhone (won't tell you the model!) and will eventually get one of the newer ones with multiple lenses. 

Hoping to get a digital SLR at some point, but not a high priority for me...at least for now. 

So what do you use to photograph your vehicle? Or any vehicle for that matter! 

18 REPLIES 18
hyperv6
Technician

My Nikon my father bought me sits. My dad got it for me for my first trip to Indy as a guest of Goodyear in Gasoline Ally.

It was 1985 and I was un aware it was the last year for the original garages. I treasure the photos I took. 

As for my go to camera it is my I phone 12 pro now. It is always with me and I can rip photos all day or even video. I just with I still had the prints for albums. I know I can have them made but just never do. 

I think now of how many times I needed a camera and never had on on me at the time. That is the one greatest thing is nothing is missed anymore. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Well said, these smartphones are amazing for capturing moments.  It gets a little annoying when you're stuck in a tourist trap and everyone's got their phones out, but hey, that's a small price to pay. 

Guitar74
Technician

My favorite "smart phone" situation actually wasn't my own. I was driving from Knoxville to Crossville, and on the side of the road was a tow truck backing up to a car while she was doing her best "duck face" pose while snapping a selfie in front of her broken down p.o.s. This was back in 2010 and I was thinking,"Are people REALLY that into themselves that they do this?" Fast forward to today where the answer is a resounding,"Yes. People are that into themselves."

MarveH
Intermediate Driver

I've been fortunate as an Army camera man from 1988 to 2013 to have access to the latest and greatest in photography equipment including night vision and thermal.

Now that I'm  victim of my own means I use a Canon D60 and two older Panasonic GH2's with Canon and Nikon prime lenses from the 1970's for both photo and video.

AlbertaDave
New Driver

Canon SL2 and Mavic 2 Zoom...... 

DaveVan
Pit Crew

I still have my Pentax K1000 camera that I took to every car show, race and vacation. Thousands of photos and still THE best camera I ever owned. Still will do things digital will not. 

CharlieB3
Pit Crew

In the early '70's my dad switched from a Rolleiflex to Nikon and got great results.  In 1975 I wanted to graduate from my Kodak pocket Instatmatic to a Nikon.  Was on a trip to beautiful Colorado and wanted to obtain some great photos.  Happened to be in a 4 story sporting goods store Garth Brothers (I think long gone) and visited the camera dept.  The clerk asked if he could assist and I told him I was ready to move up from the beginners level to a Nikon produce but didn't know the difference between a "F-Stop or a Truck Stop".  Fortunately for me a 'pro photographer' from the Denver's Lowery Air Force Base was next to me and offered his idea which was to sell me a Nikormat with a 43-86 Zoom Lens.  Five Nikons later I still love my Nikormat and the 43-86 lens.  I call it my 'tank' because it was built like one.  Will always be grateful to the Air Force stranger who gratiously offered his assistance.

40Ford
Intermediate Driver

I use my smart phone, a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Minolta SLR Then, Sansung S8 Now.

Fatcat32
Intermediate Driver

I do digital now, but previously I used a Canon AE1 for film use. Lots of "attachments" available to perk up the photos. Back when I was taking more pictures, my best friend used a Rolieflex, and took amazing shots of stationary subjects, but I think the Canon with fast film was best for action shots. The Canon digital I use now is fast and simple.

My E-Type taken with the AE-1My E-Type taken with the AE-1My E-Type taken with the AE-1 years ago.

Maestro1
Advanced Driver

Well, I guess I'm old fashioned. I have a couple of Olympus (Olympi?) and a Nikon and they're all film cameras. I've owned cameras since Kodak Brownies so I'm comfortable with film. I have a developer I use, and they are very good, and give good service. When I get started on the Chevrolet there will be many photos. I'll also take my cameras on a road trip we're planning here as soon as the virus is under control. Happy to report that we've both been tested and we're Negative.

BobA
Pit Crew

Originally a Yashica 35MM, followed by a Canon AE-1 (see slide conversion attached). Now, a Nikon D750 DSLR. I still have the car, by the way.

1978 corr.jpg

Guitar74
Technician

That Z 28 brings back memories of the '79 I had in high school. Glad you hung on to yours. I miss mine.

GRP_Photo
Advanced Driver

Nikon D600 with either a 24-70mm zoom or a 70-200mm zoom.

Robbob
New Driver

I've been shooting with Nikons since the late 60's; I went digital about ten years ago.  The camera I use the most is a Nikon D850.  This is paired with a versatile Nikon 24-120mm zoom lens for most automobile photos.  I'm also an avid PhotoShop user as you can see from the first image.

A friend's Datsun 240ZA friend's Datsun 240ZMy own '65 Corvair CorsaMy own '65 Corvair Corsa

Tinkerah
Instructor

I'll always miss the feel and sounds of my 35MM SLR (ker...FWAP!) but I've got a hand-me-down point and shoot that I love and I'll never go back to film. I owned a Graphlex Speed Graphic for a while and have some amazing shots from it but I don't miss that monstrosity either.

LBLyon
Pit Crew

I use a Canon EOS Rebel T5.  I need to learn better night photography with it but the daytime photos are great. 

91greyhound
Pit Crew

Well, as many people have said, the beat camera is the one that you have with you...so my iPhone 11 is used heavily wherever I go.   With that said, I’ve always lusted after a Nikon and currently have a Nikon D7500.   My past cameras have been a Kodak Retina iiia 35mm rangefinder that my dad bought new while in grad school in the late 50s, a Canon A1, an Minolta Maxxum 5 and then my digital Nikons (D70,D300 and the current D7500)...no interest in full frame right now as my iPhone had really become my main camera for walking around.