cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: that ONE PART you wish you could still buy for your car?

This week's Community Question is either very difficult or very easy to answer: what is the ONE PART you wish you could still buy for your car? 

For me, I can't possibly reduce my wish list down to one part. But then I saw that the legendary 427 SOHC is now for sale, which makes me think my dreams have come true. Except I don't need this part for one of my classic cars...unless maybe I do?

Reproduction 427 SOHC (Jon Kaase Racing Engines)Reproduction 427 SOHC (Jon Kaase Racing Engines)

49 REPLIES 49
Snailish
Gearhead

That's a Brougham Lincoln motor if I ever saw one Sajeev!

Right now it's hard to tell if parts are not available or it is just the current times, but some things for my 91 Chev truck have been a hassle to get where I live. My 69 Mustang just about anything I can think of someone has had when I needed it, but then most of the work on the Mustang happened pre-pandemic.

My dad's late 80s Ford Truck there is a tin piece in the front clip that no one seems to reproduce. Kind of like those bumper filler pieces on so many 70s-80s cars that mar an otherwise really clean looking vehicle.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I hate to admit it, but I want that 427 SOHC for a Starsky and Hutch Torino. In a dream world, of course. 

Rushmore
Intermediate Driver

I have a 82 Collector Edition Corvette.  When I got there were these wholes with grommets in place on the back deck.  Turns out it had a rare option of a roof panel carrier.   Instead of putting the t-top glass in the hatch you could strap them on the back of the corvette.  I've been on a three year quest and so far only have part of the puzzle.   Not saying I'd ever strap my glass t-tops on the back and drive around but just feels like something is missing.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Rushmore
Intermediate Driver

Thanks, @Sajeev!  I got those pieces (two sets actually!) but have still been looking for the straps/brackets that hold down the panels and the storage bag.  I am looking into 3D printing the brackets I need for the straps and having an upholstery shop recreate the bag.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Funny you mention it, I think I have the straps and brackets from a 1980 Vette in my collection of parts. If you need photos of them or something, drop me a private message! 

hyperv6
Racer

One great need is the TTop gaskets for a Pontiac Fiero. Mine are still good but if I need to replace I have no option. 

with fewer than 7,000 made and many less left today there is little profit in these gaskets.

the plastic caps are now being printed. 

I did buy a set of NOS glass panels as if I ever dropped a panel all that is left are used glass and most are not in great shape. 

I originated the term Fiero death grip for how we Fiero owners grip the tops when removing. 

The real trouble is the 88 models as front hubs and other suspension parts are just not available. Most parts are for the older models but the 88 was a one year suspension. 

Snailish
Gearhead

Your Fiero list made me think a Reatta owner needs to mention the electronic dashboard

Or maybe someone is making those (or a fix at least) now?

bblhed
Instructor

There are a few places repairing those Dash panels listed on line. Had a Fiero, want a Reatta so I know the value of research and knowing how to find parts. At one time I could get to the Fiero Store without directions. Those were not the days.

BoostedDatsun
New Driver

Turbo Tom Blow-Through Turbo Kit for Datsun L16/L18 Engines.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh wow, that has gotta be supreme unobtainum these days! 

rbsWELDER
Pit Crew

I need a pair of Mickey Thompson Sportsman Street Radial tires, in 29x18r15!

BillyD
Pit Crew

I own a 1979 Chevy Monza and it seems like anything for them is pretty difficult to come by, especially interior pieces (those little pieces of plastic). Some things interchange with Corvette or Camaro but not all so a lot of scrounging on FB groups or eBay sometimes will reveal some NOS items.

67vwfreak
New Driver

Fuel pump for Stewart Warner Gas Heater for my 67 Vw Bug

61Rampy
Instructor

Is that the rubber diaphragm thingie driven by the combustion blower motor and mounted opposite the points? I have a mostly complete VW bug gas heater, BUT. it's 6 volt, and it has been sitting in a shed in Phoenix since 1984. So I'm not sure that anything works anymore. It was last used in 1981.

DaveP
Detailer

For my TRUCK - a rust-free 8 ft styleside bed for my 1971 F250 4wd; as for a CAR part - a intact, unbroken hood ornament for 1937 Nash Lafayette. Oh yeah - intact running boards for the 37 Lafatette 2 door. 

kekuntz
New Driver

I wish I could buy the factory designed, "swan neck" outside rearview mirror arms for my 1965 Chevy GVan. 

RJMatt
Intermediate Driver

Not for a car, but a good exhaust system for my 1979 Yamaha XS1100SF. It will interchange with two other years, unlike most of the parts on this one year only bike.

DaveP
Detailer

It took me a year to get an NOS gas tank for my 79 Suzuki GS550 - from Sweden, of all places. Keep on looking and good luck with your search!

skyking96w
New Driver

For my 1971 BMW-Alpina 2002...the Hella wiper delay relay!

Bleyseng
New Driver

What is the part number as I have a couple from a 914.

onteo
Pit Crew

I’d like to be able to purchase a repo front bumper for my 1973 Mustang Mach 1.  Almost everything else is available for it. 

Bleyseng
New Driver

Vanagon Syncro transmission parts from VW!

mromanowski01
Pit Crew

How about anything plastic or pot metal for a Mopar from the 50's.  Lenses, emblems, grill pieces, knobs, buttons, door sills etc.   There is a guy in Sweden that does tail lights for $250 each.  Or if you have the 2 door you can find some things but not if you have a four door or a station wagon.  

FloridaMarty
Instructor

I know what you mean, 50's era Mopar are hard to find parts for. I have a 53 Dodge Meadowbrook suburban 2 door.  They only built the car that 1 year and only 15000, so parts can be super difficult.

alfaguy
New Driver

Whichever part I need at the moment for any of my (Italian) classics. 

Right now, its a clutch fork for a 1959 Alfa 102 2000 spider.

Tomorrow, next week, or next month, it will be something else ... can we fire up the way back machine? 

WAB
Intermediate Driver

A hood for a 1963 Oldsmobile Cutlass.........I have been looking for a good one for 3 years. 

The other unobtanium is the air duct to the air cleaner for a 1977 Monte Carlo....goes from the core support to the air cleaner horn............ 

Pegleg01
Detailer

Pep Boys Curb Feelers

85SVO
New Driver

I cannot find any supplier that sells a door skin or blank door for fox body Mustangs they sell every other panel except doors. Seems pretty insane to me considering the amount of people who are working on resorting these cars

Studebacher
Pit Crew

356 turn signal/headlight dip switch.

Bubbat
New Driver

I would love to find a PowerLite power rear window for the 73-87 Chevy C-10's. This was the window that went up and down instead of left to right.  

hunternicholas
Detailer

I wish I could buy a new grill and other exterior trim for my '48 Chrysler Windsor.

My car is an example of not being a very popular car like a Mustang or Tri-Five Chevy.  You can get anything you want for the very popular cars but not so for other vintage cars.

But I have to say that it's a really nice driving car and a pleasure to own.  It turns 75 years old this fall.

IMG_2295.JPGIMG_2303.JPG

bblhed
Instructor

Correct fabric and pattern seat covers, I have no idea what the deal is with the fabric, or patterned vinyl, that car seats are made from but this has been a problem with just about every car I have ever owned.

Monstrodamus
New Driver

Stainless euro bumpers for my Alfetta. 

Monstrodamus
New Driver

Actually, if I could just go back in time and place a huge JCWhitney order and have it delivered today that would be great.

DaveP
Detailer

Got to see Doc Emmet Brown and his "highy modified" Delorean for that!

jeffsbimmer
Pit Crew

Fuel sending unit for a 70 torino with a 429 cobra jet! The stupid thing has a return line and NOBODY makes a re-pop!! 2 years only and used on only 1 engine!  GRRRR!

Sajeev
Community Manager

jeffsbimmer
Pit Crew

Original one long gone.

RobHarris
New Driver

1959 Cadillac horn ring - much stronger than original preferably!  Also cruise control unit/box and related parts... both priced for an average consumer like me.  I know, asking too much... owning an expensive to restore car is not for average people.

TG
Technician

1990 Cadillac Allante - the plastic 'tape' used by the power window mechanism - the standard GM stuff is about half an inch thinner

for my 65 Impala - the trunk seal groove and surrounding sheetmetal. For such a rot-worthy location on such a common body, I haven't seen anyone that sells it and I have largely been painstakingly fabricating it from scratch

ThomPhillips
Pit Crew

I have a low milage, condition 1-, 1988 Mazda 626 GT turbo Touring Sedan that I bought new.  I need the fuel level sending unit as it is unique to the GT.  I have disassembled and stored the parts for 31 1988-92 Mazda 626s, though not all were GTs.  In every instance the fuel had ruined the sending unit.  I sent my best one to Bob's Speedometer along with a similiar unit from a sedan with a request that they rewind the good resistance wires from the sedan unit onto the GT's unit but at the proper winding rate.  The sedan wires are long enough to do this.  During  15 months of calling I was stalled and lied to repeatedly.  Calling a man a liar is a serious  accusation to me, but one day I was told by the man on the phone that when he was walking around Hershey, he had seen a part that looked like it could be used to repair mine.  I aasked him to describe it.  He said he did not remeber what it looked like because he sees so many parts every day.  I they asked how he knew it when he saw it.  He was never able to give me any answer.  Several weeks later I go my unit in the mail.  They had simply screwed the donor unit I send to the GT assembly.  As I recall they charged me several hundred dollars for something I could have done in literally one minute.  My calls after that were never returned.  Frankly, my suspicions are that over the years they have no doubt done exemplary work on 1930s Packards, etc. but I as founder of a 57 year old business, I sense that their operation has descended into bedlam with more work than they can handle.

I hate to rant, but perhaps I can save someone else a few hundred dollars. And, if by that one in a million long **bleep** any one can help me,  pease contact me!  thomphillips@mindspring.com.  MayBe I'll even hear from Bob's!   If I do, I will let you all know...

tabboo
Pit Crew

All the parts GM discontinued for my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT. From seat trim to hood insulation. I guess they need the extra manufacturing capacity to build electric car (appliances ) so they can ruin our hobby.

transamdi
New Driver

I know what you mean.  I have a 2008 G8 (also white) which I love but hate to use as my daily driver.  Luckily it is only 8 miles to work each day.  You can find some items at the dealer like wiper blades (I'd suggest buying both) vs. the build a blade route, but most interior or exterior trim parts are going the way of the dinosaur.  The curse of owning a 2 year only production ride.  They had a longer run with the SS, but I'm sure they are in a similar boat. 

DeanH
Intermediate Driver

The part I miss the most is affordable gasoline.

Geok86
Instructor

I wish SLP hadn’t been bought out by Roush, as I doubt they will ever support the Firehawks ever again…would love to be able to buy a spare 93-early 97 hood, just to have, in case of an accident.

woodyambison
Intermediate Driver

Hey Gang the one thing i would like to get back is the days when you could buy a good car for less than $200.

gr8idea
Pit Crew

My holy grail is a '73 Porsche 914 SE  OEM front spoiler.

Anyone got one laying around?!

transamdi
New Driver

Parts for my 1988 Z24 convertible are pretty much gone.  No love for these Z28 cousins?  I've been looking for exterior door window fuzzies, mine have a case of dry rot and the rubber has started cracking and falling apart.  Can't drive the car in the rain anymore, not that I ever did.  Anyone know where I can find replacements?