cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: Mother Nature messed up your project?

One of the perks of working from home (if you are lucky enough for it!) is you can tackle little projects during lunch, but this is the first time Mother Nature messed up my work.  Of course, this is totally my fault for painting during a tropical storm.  

While I did all the prep and most painting in my garage, I was foolish enough to lay down a final coat of paint standing less than a foot outside my garage...just because it stopped raining and the extra light helped me see what areas needed attention. The fresh air didn't hurt, either.

That's when a gust of wind kicked water from my roof onto the still wet paint.  

FC618D69-7AEA-4926-A3E6-A76CE12304F0.JPG

And now I won't get to fix (sand/respray) my mistake until the humidity goes down because, 18 hours later, the paint still hasn't fully dried!  Thanks a lot, Tropical Storm Beta! 

So tell me a time when Mother Nature messed up your plans!

16 REPLIES 16
Guitar74
Gearhead

When I was restoring, of all things, a 1985 Kramer Baretta guitar. The forecast showed no signs of rain, so I hung the body and laid down a base coat. Overnight, it not only rained but we had a freak temp. drop which resulted in a giant crack right down the middle of my beautiful candy metallic paint. This was in my non climate controlled garage.  I opened the door from my basement and immediately knew before I even looked that there was going to be a problem. It dropped something like 30 degrees AND rained. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

OMG thank you for sharing that.  I feel a whole lot better now with my current situation, that's absolutely nothing as bad as that! 

Guitar74
Gearhead

Glad my misfortune could make some else feel a little better about their own😁.

Tinkerah
Technician

"of all things"? Of all things to restore any Kramer is a worthy candidate!

Guitar74
Gearhead

Oh no. It's a great guitar. I always wanted one back in the 80s. I didn't mean as, "I restored this piece of crap." I meant it as, with my novice woodworking skills. 

My nephew gave it to me. While the neck and frets were in good shape, someone had done a really bad job routing out a hole for a neck pickup, tried to put a Les Paul style jack, and a switch. I had to make a plug for the router hole, the switch holes, and jack. Initially I put a cheap licensed Floyd on it just to play it, but am getting a 1984 Floyd for it because the original had the screw in posts which it still has, and the newer press in style Floyd knife edges just don't get along with the original style post. I DID, however, use a DiMarzio Tone Zone instead of a J.B. as there is no tone control and the J.B. (which I have in a few axes) was painfully bright in this guitar. 

YesDear
Pit Crew

After clearing enough debris to see a 6.9 under there:-(

P1010050.JPG

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh no!  No classic deserves that, much less a 6.9!!!!

Bokeoyaji
Intermediate Driver

When I was painting the hood of my Mustang, I propped it against a wall, outside, to paint vertically.  It wasn't the best idea, but...  and, no, I didn't have the proper equipment to do the job.

I forget if it was after the base coat or the clear top coat, but while I waited for the paint to dry, a gust of wind came and tipped the hood over.

Luckily, I felt uneasy that it might fall over, so I place a cushion where the hood can fall onto.

Unfortunately, the cushion was firm enough that it put a slight dent into the hood.  I still have that hood 30 years later and I'm reminded every time I see it.

At least the hood didn't touch the concrete and the pain job was saved.  But the dent...!

It ended up in a magazine, despite the dent, though.

Sajeev
Community Manager

That dent would drive me nuts too, @Bokeoyaji!  And seeing it for 30 years would make me pull all my hair out! 

Bokeoyaji
Intermediate Driver

@Sajeev 

Ha ha... nature is taking care of the hair situation as well.  That pesky Mother Nature!

Sajeev
Community Manager

I'm hoping to keep mine for as long as I can! 

hyperv6
Gearhead

Mother Nature and I generally have gotten along outside rained out events and mud on show fields. 

I am glad to see I am not the only one who has side projects going at home during breaks and lunch. It has been one of the things I have discovered as a great benefit working here. 

maximumbob
Pit Crew

All these seem to have to do with messed up paint so I’ll offer one of my sad days. At the time I had a 65  Corvair Corsa convertible. After carefully taping and painting a couple of fat white racing stripes ( perfect and with a rattle can!) just before it dried a freak gust of wind ( the day was windless) pulled up the newspaper masking and left a bumpy mess on the rear hood. Rats!

PerfectTommy
New Driver

Mine story is not exactly weather related but Covid related. My 1955 Chevy was backed into early in the year and it has been at the shop since the accident.  The shop had to shut down due to someone having the virus. During that time and because of reduced business the shop had closed. Since the shop is owned by a friend he will take the car to his house and finish it there. The major concern is the moving of the parts. To reduce the cost of the job in the first place he allowed me to remove the chrome and interior at his shop. Everything is bagged and tagged but things get missed placed. He has gotten a new job and is working on catching up on his bills so my car is on hold. Hoping for the best.

61Rampy
Advanced Driver

I will start by saying I live in Phoenix, AZ. They say it gets warm here. I will also say that these two stories really don't have anything to do with weather anomalies. I am a mechanic, not a bodyman or painter. I have two stories that are basically the same, spaced 14 years apart.  First, back in July of 96, I had a 68 Ultravan (Corvair powered motorhome) that needed paint RIGHT NOW. I prepped for weeks.  When ready, I bought the slowest evaporating thinner possible and got to work. Work consisted of getting up at 2:30AM, getting everything ready, and spray painting around 4AM. Why the middle of the night? Because daytime highs were over 110 degrees, while the lows, (appearing around 5AM), were "only" about 90. I painted one section per night (motorhome is BIG). When done for the night, I cleaned up and went to my job. It took about a week, in the back yard, dirt lot, no cover.  Aside from a few runs, it actually looked nice!  Fourteen years later, same thing, this time my 61 Rampside. Same time of year, same temps, but this time at least I had a carport! It still took several days.  The main problems here was sweat dripping from my head onto the paint, and then little bugs seemed to love the paint smell. Overall, it came out pretty nice, not show quality, but parade worthy. Im older now, microscopically wiser, so if there is a next time, I will wait until winter!

Sajeev
Community Manager

You sir have blown my mind.  Thank you for sharing this experience with us!