cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager

Community Question: Most aggravating car part you broke?

The question for this week is about what car part you broke that really, really got under your skin.  You can't blame anyone but yourself for the part breaking! 

In my case, it might be the (junky) aftermarket headlights I was about to sell for a few bucks on eBay ... until I dropped one as I was putting them into the box for shipping.  It's not like I was dying to get that $25 back for these things, but now I gotta throw them all away. 😤 

Screen Shot 2020-10-20 at 9.57.29 AM.png

44 REPLIES 44
Advanced Driver

This could be a long list. Every part I break, either breaks my heart or my pocket book! But hey....."That's the Breaks"

Technician

We were helping my cousin restore his '77 Chevy pickup back in high school. We went to a pull apart junk yard to get a windshield. About the time I told him and my other friend to be careful, I hear a slight pop and watch the crack grow across the windshield. I already started to walk away when I turned around to see my buddy Mike (the second culprit trying to get the windshield out pretend to polish the windshield before they both started walking towards the exit with a look like the cat in the cartoons that spits out the canary feathers. I was in the car by this time laughing at the two of them uncontrollably.

Technician

I had the same thing happen when I first got my '69 Sport Satellite. I swear mother Mopar wasted WAY to much money at the behest of little engineering "exploits" like left handed threads on the left side that centrifugal force would keep tight. Don't even get me started on the two different a833 transmissions, four different rear ends, etc. 

Advanced Driver

Just broke another part!! I'm sportin' a splint on my left BIRD FINGER. I did however save the starter motor from falling on the slab. Good thing I wasn't in Washington or I could have been mistaken for inciting a riot. LOL. 

Community Manager

Starters are certainly heavy, so I can imagine how, um, uncomfortable that moment was for you.  Sorry to hear this, I hope you feel better soon!