cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Community Question: How much fun is it to pull a dashboard?

Community Manager

So I am having a lot of fun (ha-ha) gutting my 1983 Lincoln Continental to fix a few issues, install a standalone transmission controller, upgraded EFI computer, etc.  and that meant I had to pull my dash and gut my interior.  

I'm gonna stop short of saying this was a miserable experience (it was so only because of the weather) but I wanna ask everyone: How much fun have you had pulling a dashboard? 

117391342_10157679839173269_5221145166388921706_o.jpg117432585_10157679832918269_615507842204155513_o.jpg

I didn't get to rip anything out, it all was carefully removed as to be reinstalled in the future. So perhaps I didn't have any fun at all!

31 REPLIES 31
Highlighted

Re: Community Question: How much fun is it to pull a dashboard?

Advanced Driver

I pulled the dash on an '88 Tbird that I used to own to repair the damage that happened from the sun. I actually re-skinned it with fiberglass using the original as a template. It was about as fun as getting circumcised with a chainsaw. It is no fun on an older car, and even less fun on a new one that has SO many circuits tied together. I feel your pain.

Highlighted

Community Manager

Wow, I did the same thing on my 1988 Cougar!  Well not the fiberglass part, I had mine reupholstered at a local trim shop.  The Lincoln was WAY EASIER than the Cougar, mostly because the wiring harness has less bulk...which I assume is because it has everything standard, while the Tbird/Cougar has everything as stand alone options.  No doubt you went thru a nightmare doing that! 

Highlighted

Detailer
I personally hate electrical work on a car. Fortunately my dash is primarily mechanical (speedo cable, oil line) and the gauges I do have, are simple 2 wire units.
Bravo to you, have fun putting it all back together.
Highlighted

Advanced Driver

Correctomundo. The harness on a fox body Thunderchicken/Cougar is terrible. Another one that is a convoluted mess is my wife's '79 Tbird Town Landau. I recently had to pull her wiper switch to clean the contacts and re-grease it and could not believe the amount of wiring under her dash. I thought dusassembling the switch would be the pain. It wasn't. Fishing through the harness to get the switch out was a nightmare. 

On another subject, fir those of you who have a '79 tbird with intermittent wipers, you will not find a replacement switch, whether a restoration repop, or auto parts store replacement. You will have to get a N.O.S. (new old stock) one and it is interchangeable with the Lincoln Continental. Somewhere around $300 is what you should expect to pay. 

Highlighted

Pit Crew

I pulled the centre console of Project Vantage to refit the start button. You realise very quickly why it’s a prototype and concept car 😬

Highlighted

New Driver
I have a `65 Skylark, so pulling the dash is not an issue. On my 2016 Chevy 2500HD, 4WD, and my wife`s `16 Mustang GT Convertible, it`s more complicated. My wife and I, raised two children. Both engineers., one has a physics degree, to do the work.
Highlighted

Community Manager

That Vantage console musta been fun to reinstall!

Highlighted

New Driver

This already seems to be a FoMoCo/Lincoln-Mercury thread...my experience is with my standard (non-XR7) '68 Cougar...the steel framework prevents actual removal of the entire dashboard, but I have had every component out, multiple times.  While my wiring harness is nowhere as complex as that pictured, it is complicated by 60+ year old tape, connectors and brittle wires, and some degree of previous owner amateurity that defies my best electrical crime solving efforts.  Instruments of this era, if they can be called that, are often simple two wire elements that were of dubious accuracy when new and were never meant to last this long; their solder connections, circuit boards and plastic often fail at the slightest touch or pull.  Right now the car is back together primarily stock; long term plan is a modern replacement wiring harness with modern production real instruments.  Wish me luck, and good luck to all on your much more challenging dashboard pursuits...

Highlighted

Pit Crew

It’s a concept car so fairly simple. But you don’t want to go there if you can help it