cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: Have you ever ate in your car? What about your classic car?

It could be as simple as chowing down on fast food from a drive-thru window on your lunch break from work. Or it could be as insane as the portable cooler design of the Mustang Mach E's front trunk (frunk) which, apparently, is a good place to chow down on chicken wings before/during a game? 

FordFord

Well, this definitely takes Tailgating to a whole 'nother level! 

But the question remains: do YOU eat in your car? Have you ever? And do the rules change when it comes to food in your classic car? Inquiring minds want to know! 

39 REPLIES 39
BMW323
Pit Crew

So far only popcorn. The last time was when the Swedish BMW Club visited a drive in cinema in Stockholm.

IMG_0022.jpg

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Yes.

Don's Drive In Traverse City MI.

20200827_194012.jpg

Sajeev
Community Manager

Just googled that place...now I want to go there next time I'm in TC! 

JimR
Instructor

Eat food? Pffft…Hell, I smoke cigars in mine. 

B2B5A18C-88AB-4822-AC0C-54E7667772FE.png

DUB6
Technician

Sure!  Eating in the car is an American Right (and maybe in other countries as well, based on the picture from @BMW323)...  At any rate, I will admit that I'm just a tad bit more careful when in the classic car, but hey, it's just a car, and it'll clean.  If someone can't find a curly fry down between your seat and the console, you have been missing out!

Now, as far as the picture of eating wings in the eStang, I'm ruling out that those people were actually eating in the car.  I'm only counting it if you are sitting in the seat(s) while chowing down.  Unless @NITRO450EXP stepped out and sat on the tailgate of his cherry p/u after his order came, I'm betting he actually ate IN his vehicle.  That counts.  Popcorn at a drive-in movie?  Check - count it.  Us and some friends eating out of a cooler in the trunk of the Pontiac while sitting in our chairs?  Zzzzzt (meaning the sound of the disqualifying buzzer on a game show) - no points.  But pulling up to the Hungry Onion drive-in in Meridian, Idaho; getting the tray hung on your window; setting the shake on the console while unwrapping the cheeseburger and onion rings and opening the fry sauce dipping container?  Yup, that counts.

I don't have a picture of actually eating in the car, because, well, I was busy eating!  But I have used a burger-tray-in-the-window display before (plastic food) to simulate the old drive-in experience.

This is fake, but I've done it for real plenty of times.This is fake, but I've done it for real plenty of times.

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

DUB

We in fact ate in the car on that occasion, However we have also sat on the tailgate and eaten on several occasions too. Check and check!

Nitro

CitationMan
Instructor

I just just read a story from a local resident in my small town in Western North Carolina reminiscing about the past. As a teenager in the 1950’s, he used to ride his horse to the local drive-in in the town next to ours.

DUB6
Technician

Well I suppose he had to dismount to eat, though.  Not any place to hang your window tray on a saddle.  I mean, where do you set your drink while you 2-hand your main course?  😄

We had a "car-hop-brings-a-tray-to-your-vehicle" place at a time when I was heavily into riding motorcycles.  They took the initiative to slightly modify the hooks on a few trays so they fit on the handlebars of many bikes.  So you could zip in and eat while sitting on your cycle.  I thought they probably picked up a lot of biker biz simply by some creative mods to a half-dozen trays.  Know your clientele!

I'm not quite old enough to be in the "rode my horse into town" era, but I did see some farm tractors at the drive-in...  My wife and her sister ran a drive-in in a small ag town near here for 27 years.  It had a drive-up window (with a row of static-y speakers along the entryway), two walk-up windows, a covered awning row for about 6-7 cars, two outdoor picnic tables, and back room seating for about 30 people.  It was built in the '50s.  They had barely changed the menu over the years, and the customers came for the old-fashioned food and the atmosphere.  But it was mostly some farmers and us oldie-but-goodie patrons the last few years - the younger folks preferred zipping through a Mickey-D's to waiting for a "cooked-to-order" meal.  When they retired, no one wanted to run it anymore - too much competition from the chain places, who had apps, coupons, etc. vs. an order pad and pencil.

We tore it down in 2014 (although we salvaged some keepsake memories from the building), and now it's a vacant lot.  Sad to see the old places go!

Definite '50s vibe - and great burgers!Definite '50s vibe - and great burgers!Kids and cousins learned the value of workKids and cousins learned the value of workDidn't update prices much, but inflation did require it sometimesDidn't update prices much, but inflation did require it sometimesThe loss of a local institutionThe loss of a local institution

CitationMan
Instructor

The writer who was reminiscing said he would tie up his horse to the speaker at a drive-in space, then go inside and order. There were enough gravel roads and trails over here back then to make local horse travel possible. But just this past weekend I was out exploring, tooling along on a nice curvy road, and all of a sudden there was a “Pavement Ends” sign, and I was unexpectedly on gravel for a few miles.

Very cool that there was a drive-in in your family. It’s hard to keep any old institution in business these days.

DUB6
Technician

Yep.  There was a drive-in movie on one side and a bowling alley on the other back-in-the-day.  And imagine when there was a bar in the basement (before the sisters owned it) - that corner and strip of road was famous around the entire area for entertainment.  All are gone now.

On the plus side, I now have a nifty meat slicer, condiment dispenser, and beverage cooler in my shop office.  😁

CitationMan
Instructor

Ah Dub6, you paint a pretty picture of the near forgotten past. Sad, isn’t it? The “youts” of today don’t know the fun they’re missing. If they only put their phones down and met in a local spot that’s not a bar. I have fond memories of my Dad and uncles bowling in steel mill leagues in a smoky bowling alley on a Friday night. 

DUB6
Technician

I hadn't really thought about this until just now, but I met my first wife at a drive-in movie, and my second one at a drive-in restaurant.  No wonder I like driving and drive-ins so much!  😄

hyperv6
Gearhead

I Eat in my wife’s SUV, not my truck or show car. 

John
Intermediate Driver

In my daily drivers, of course.  In the Hot Rod ( 1995 Firebird Formula convertible w/85,000 miles ), never.

ilmor
Pit Crew

Three of my cars I would never eat in. I will eat in my truck and in my van.

jrobiso
New Driver

I am not a fan, but will admit to eating in my car especially when the kids were younger.  However, always cleaned any mess when I got home.  Rules are different for the classics, absolutely no food, no drink in the car.  

Charger727
New Driver

In my Honda Accord - Sure

In my Corvette - No

Debx2
Intermediate Driver

BA329BC1-5538-43C8-AA1E-DC43C6EAB50C.jpeg

5397B92F-199E-4203-9252-25BADCC32955.jpeg

 When we bought our ‘48 Plymouth, oh so many years ago, my wife ask if we were going to be able to eat in it or not. 

While we don’t use alcohol my reply was “of course we can eat in the car, do you have any idea how many burgers and beers have been spilled in this car since 1948!”

Tim
Instructor

I don't like eating in my cars because I prefer to take care of them. I'm not even a fan of carrying fast food in the cars because it makes the car smell like fast food. That said, I'm married and have capitulated. 😁

Grampa
New Driver

My grandchildren snack in my daily driver, but not in my 49 Olds Coupe.

Gobes728
New Driver

not only eating in the car but cooking on the engine!  just did a jeep trip to Colorado and we made brats on the road, then heated up a meat loaf & later did pork chops while off road'n.  

MadDog
New Driver

My standard answer when asked is, "I don't drive in  your kitchen, don't eat in my car".

llohans
New Driver

My boss used to order a pizza before he left work, pick it up and put it on top of the air cleaner to keep it warm when he headed home.  Never lost a slice and said it added a little flavor to the Supreme he ordered.

TomE
Pit Crew

Eating is never allowed in any of my cars...period.  

A few years ago I gave a friend a ride from the hotel to Laguna for the Historic races.  A show winner and meticulous custodian of his own cars, he got in the passenger seat and promptly retrieved a banana from his backpack.  I said "you can't eat that in my car".  He appeared stunned, which surprised me, but he grudgingly put the banana back until we got to the track.  BTW, we're still good friends.

Tinkerah
Technician

Eaten?? Hell, I've cooked in mine. Many times I'd stop for subs and lay them (in the wrappers of course) on the intake manifold between the carb and valve covers for the drive to the drive-in theater. Presto - hot supper for showtime.

TomsToy6251
New Driver

No problem in our Santa Fe, big problem in our Shelby.

bobbieduvall
New Driver

Yes I don't mind eating in my classic, as long as it's classic food.  You know, roast beef, mash potatoes with gravy; chilli cheese dogs, roti's.  You would think that would be a bit messy, but if you hold the steering wheel  just right, you won't spill a drop.  🙂

SteveA
Pit Crew

When I'm in one of my corvettes I don't eat, text, talk on the phone or even listen to the radio, I just drive and listen to the Chevy small block symphony.

DrOverboost
Pit Crew

Eating in the car?! I draw the line at cooking in the car. Although I once read a rather creative article about cooking on the engine while driving. I won’t ty that until I re-cert my fire extinguisher. 
(But never in my Corvette!)

Clark
New Driver

Not in daily driver or, especially, in collector car.

YesDear
Pit Crew

My last long car trip was a last minute drive from Washington to New Mexico to retrieve an aircraft within a tight spring weather window.  1450 miles in 21 hours, solo, Mazda Miata.  Stops for gas, no food, no drink, no need to stop to pee.

People who eat in cars are pigs.

Shut your mouth and drive.

1968malibu
New Driver

No need to stop to pee in 21 hours? 

DUB6
Technician

Wow, YesDear must be Jason Bourne - only without manners.  Sorry man, but when you call people pigs - for whatever reason - you lost 100% of any chance of respect from me.  Not that you asked for any.  I just wanted everyone else to know.

Clashure22
New Driver

We have eaten in our family car, but the Jaguar - no food, no coffee, water only.

mottscapri
New Driver

sure why not ...eat,,,drive,,,,b happy  .....y not ..sounds like some of you take your shoes off before you get in......

Markymark
Pit Crew

Eat in the car, yes, not always by choice. There are multiple cars in this house. When we head to the Varsity near GA Tech campus for chili dogs and rings, unfortunately, those involved always vote to take my car...

Sighting yesterday in another part of town - Prius rapidly merging on to 65mph stretch of I-75....single occupant...large Mickey D's fries and steering wheel in left hand, large burger held to mouth with right hand. As best I could tell at least he wasn't texting.  

LoudV8
Pit Crew

No eating in any of my cars. Leaving a light or making a turn food would be flying everywhere. 

DUB6
Technician

Well I guess there is a missing distinction in your original question, @Sajeev , and that is "eat in your car a) parked, or b) while driving?"  Obviously, there could be some safety issues with some food while in motion.  Some food.  A banana?  A granola bar?  Not as much as a bowl of soup with crackers in it, or some potatoes and gravy with peas on the plate.  I generally took the quiz to mean just sitting in the car and eating (like popcorn at the movies or with the drive-in restaurant tray hanging on the window) - not while navigating rush-hour traffic or whizzing down the interstate at 80 mph (yes, we have some of that here in Idaho 😎).  Because the question came from an employee of my insurance company, I'm going to swear up and down that I have pulled safely out of any traffic lanes, come to a complete stop, engaged the parking brake, and turned the engine off before I have ever engaged in eating in any vehicle, so-help-me!

And, I am not going to let myself be drawn into any bagel debates - that seems like pretty dangerous ground...🙄

dgriffi2
New Driver

Generally, no. If I’m in a crunch, I chose the food based on what’s least messy vs what tastes good. E.g. a plain McDonald’s burger is less messy than a BK burger because no sesame seeds. But the general rule is, no eating in the cars except for road trips. My wife, God bless her, torment me from time to time when I find chocolate on the steering wheel or- gasp!- she’ll munch on an everything bagel on the way to work! I mean, a bagel is one thing but what rational human eats an everything bagel?!

P.S. as far as my classic Camaro, no no no!