cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: Ever taken a road trip with your fellow automotive enthusiasts?

It could be to a nearby city with amazing BBQ joint. It could be to another state with a scenic spot you've always wanted to see. Or it could be a multi-state (multi-country???) journey to make experiences that proved you have a life that's been well lived. 

MINI Takes the States (Sajeev Mehta)MINI Takes the States (Sajeev Mehta)

I recently attended a MINI event that proves the point, it's called MINI Takes The States. I was invited as a member of the press, as I don't own a MINI...but to be honest, it was so much fun that I am still quite tempted to buy one of these cars to participate in it next year. Well...provided I want to own another car. 😀

Events like this inspire everyone in the community, and make for memorable experiences at every rally point, photo op, and even with a casual conversation with someone parked next to you! 

If you haven't done a road trip like this before, I highly recommend you partake! If you have, tell us what it was and what it was like for you! 

22 REPLIES 22
Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

No, unfortunately.

Given that not even the family dog wants to travel with me anywhere, it didn't occur to me to try to goad potential victims, sorry, I meant 'ask friends' to drive somewhere with me, or to be part of a larger caravan.

It would probably also help to own a car that I wanted to drive for more than 20 minutes without complaining about something that needs to be repaired or upgraded...which gets me back to the whole family dog thing...

Sajeev
Community Manager

Actually you are made for a Lemons rally: https://24hoursoflemons.com/lemons-rally/

Only saying that because I judged one of these a couple years ago, and the cars in question are right up your alley! 

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

I'd forgotten completely about that. Thank you.

Snailish
Engineer

A few years back we were travelling through upstate New York on a long vacation drive and the Syracuse Corvette Club was doing their "Vettes at the Beach" event at Sylvan Beach.

We don't have a Vette. (Didn't have one then either).

But it was a cool event, great location with neat people. Broke up our multi-state drive nicely. I'd consider getting a Vette in the future just to go back to that event.

So I get what you are saying about the Mini event.

NITRO450EXP
Technician

We used to do a week long trip down the garden route (East coast of South Africa between Durban and Cape Town ) also sometimes known as the Wild coast.

This was with the Triumph Club of South Africa.

3 people in a Triumph Spitfire. (Figure that one out)

Fun Times.

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Hmmm, and there was no rumble seat option for a Spit 😉

hyperv6
Collector

Generally a lone wolf on the road.  No club no trailer. 

hyperv6
Collector

Now that I think of it I was thinking of car affiliation only. 

I do go to many races and auto events with my buddies. Be it the North American Auto Show to the Indy speedway and or IMSA race. 

We do attend these with each other. We all own different cars so in like events is where we go our own way. 

Lotusross
Intermediate Driver

My wife Ann and I put on an event called Driving for Kids, a seriously fun driving event for owners of old British cars (plus a few that fit the spirit of “Motoring”) who want to support our charity of choice, The Roundup River Ranch. It is a four day trip through the back roads of Colorado almost always including a stop at the Ranch. RRR is part of a global community of medical specialty camps founded by Paul Newman who was also a great “car guy.” He believed that kids with serious illnesses needed a place to “kick back and raise a little hell.”

We have traveled over 5,500 miles of the best roads through the canyons and ridges of Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming seeing the spectacular changing of the aspens and dining as though calories don’t count. The train of skittle colors made up by our diverse cars adds even more to the mental photos we carry with us afterwards and with the camaraderie/security that comes with such a group, it is a way to combine the fun of driving old cars while doing a bit of good; this is the seventh year of many to come. And every year we have had the support of Hagerty with their Roadside Assistance Program just in case.

The teams in Driving for Kids win twice…Once on the weekend drive through the fall majesty of Colorado and again when we see the energy these magical kids exude. Lucky us!

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

This has inspired me to create a knock-off event called, "Driving Really Fast Away From The Kids", it's for tired parents that have annoying children who complain a lot and feel that they need to immediately join an organized effort to get the heck away from "he touched me again!" and "she's on my side of the seat!" and "I don't know what I want to wear today!" and "you're ruining my life!". 

It's only in the early planning stages, it's a completely bogus idea based entirely on cracking a joke or two that came up while reading your story, and I haven't even finished typing this satire comment, yet I've already been contacted by over 47,000 parents who are extremely interested in my fake event. 

Lotusross
Intermediate Driver

Mock if you must Larry, but unless you have seen what these kids go through the joke is on you. They are warriors and role models of positive outlooks. There are lots of things in the world to make fun of. This is not one of them.

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

Sigh.

I'm not mocking you.
I'm not mocking them.

I simply borrowed the name of an event and ran with it, taking a name and doing something completely different with three words, not even a complete sentence.

Beyond that, I've spent large swaths of the last three decades concerning volunteering to help a variety heck of a lot of individuals who are waaaaay less fortunate than I am, and yet I'm humble enough to stay quiet about it unless I'm directly asked, including giving up my job in order to volunteer for a 6-month stint inside a local assisted-living facility right at the onset of Covid in 2020 (January to June), attempting to keep elderly individuals who were trapped in there from losing their minds, doing any number of different activities, primarily comedy relief for people who were convinced that they were all going to die, but also doing any number of tasks, including assisting with employees, staying in contact with family members of residents, janitor duties, office manager work, you name it, I probably did it, often sleeping in a spare office because it was safer for them to have me remain in the building and not mingle with other people in public.

I know that my version of 'volunteering' doesn't have the same visual appeal as a bunch of financially-well-off buddies doing a pleasure cruise in their brightly-colored and restored British sports cars, but I help where I can.

Want to edit your response and try this again?

Lotusross
Intermediate Driver

Larry;

I have no intention of getting into a spitting contest with you. Your volunteer work is admirable…kudos to you. It seemed to me you were mocking the kids and that ticked me off. If I misinterpreted I apologize, though when I read it again I felt the same flush of anger.

On the other hand, you clearly have the wrong impression of our event when you write: “…a bunch of financially-well-off buddies doing a pleasure cruise in their brightly-colored and restored British sports cars…”

This is not a high buck catered rally. Check out the website (just add www and dot com to the event name) and you’ll find that the entry fee is $85, we pay all our own food, fuel and lodging expenses and most of the cars are well worn and maintained with love by their owners who join us for the camaraderie and to raise more than $360,000 for the kids.

Want to edit your response and try this again?

Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

Call it even?

Tinkerah
Engineer

Was that my cue to directly ask?

RJB36
New Driver

I belong to a Regional AACA car club.  We have about 210 members.  One of our activities is taking 5 road tours per year. With the hot summer's here in TN, we do 3 in the spring, and 2 in the fall.  Usually about 30-40 members attend.  Our drives are approximately 150-175 miles round trip. We visit car collections, restoration shops, museums, and other locations that "people of that age" enjoy.  No requirement to own or drive an antique, just have the interest in sharing times with friends and cruising hilly, curvey back roads.  Being the Tour Planner, I see to it that we meet those needs.  On the other months we have 6 dine outs that some of the same attend but again another chance for 40-50 friends to be together. We have pictures - search the Internet for Honk, Rattle and Roll.

bctexas
Pit Crew

In 2005, a bunch of Lotus Seven (read Caterham, Birkin, Westfield, etc) enthusiasts in Great Britian shipped 41 of their Sevens to Houston, and spent the next 3 1/2 weeks touring the U.S. through New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, across California and up the coast highway to San Francisco.  About 3500 miles.  I joined them in my Birkin.  A truly epic journey.  Unbelievable organization - routes, paid hotel reservations,  site seeing opportunities all organized in detail and in advance.  Chase vehicles for breakdowns.  Spare parts (including a complete engine - which was installed in Ruidoso, NM after a blown Rover engine sidelined one of the Brits).  Very little Interstate travel - many epic driver's roads and epic scenery.  Pace laps at Willow Springs and Sears Point.  Not enough room here for all the stories - but this was the trip of a lifetime, and if they came back I would sign up again in a heartbeat.....

Happy Motoring!

Tinkerah
Engineer

Use all the room they'll give you for some more stories!

bctexas
Pit Crew

LOL - ok!

One of the British couples got married during our stop in Las Vegas.  In a drive-through wedding chapel, sitting in their Sevens.  With the rest of the wedding party in Sevens behind them.  Unusual wedding pictures....

One of the Americans who lived in Houston where the tour started was stopped by the police near the hotel.  Apparently someone in a car matching the description of his yellow Seven had been buzzing through the hotel parking garage intentionally setting off car alarms with his enthusiastic exhaust noise.  Pleas of innocence fell on deaf ears - after all how many yellow cars could there be near the hotel matching that description!  Well, 7 or 8 as it turned out....

One of the British visitors had a safe, but well lets say "enthusiastic" driving style.  While hooning through San Francisco headed for the hotel in his Seven, he was stopped at a  traffic light.  A beat cop walked up to his car and proceeded to give the driver a loud dressing down for driving too fast.  However, he was yelling at the teenage son in the left seat - which has no steering wheel or pedals.....

Here is a pic of about 38 of the cars at Sears Point Raceway.  There were more cars than this on the tour, but some skipped the trip to Sears Point.  Waking up and finding 50 Sevens in the hotel parking lot in the morning was just amazing....

sears point.JPG

Happy Motoring!

Ken_L
Detailer

Last group trip I went on was 1977 Classic Chevy Club Convention. About 500 mile round trip for us. One of the local members drove a nice 55 2 door sedan with a built engine. He broke the transmission after first or second run on Drag Nite at the local strip. Another club member saved the day with a transmission that he had brought for the next day flea market sale. Borrowed a jack and tools from other members - had it in and ready to drive before the strip closed that night.

Thinking back, We were driving a 20 year old 1957 Chevy that was considered to be a "REALLY OLD" car at that time.

Now driving a different car that is 47 years old - so we are keeping to local adventures.

Tinkerah
Engineer

In June of '85 a handful of buddies and I drove two of our classics from Southeast Massachusetts to Indianapolis (and back, just barely) for the Hot Rod Supernationals. It was not all misty eyed motoring magic. I'll spare you the harrowing near misses on the interstates, significant portion of the event rained out and breakdowns in the middle of nowhere. Instead I'll share a bright spot: the speedway was easy to find and upon parking right in front we were astonished to find the gate wasn't locked and the facility deserted. Here are the photos you can get if you're young and dumb enough to trespass on hallowed ground.

Indya6.85.jpgIndyb6.85.jpgIndyc6.85.jpgIndyd6.85.jpgIndye6.85.jpg

ZZZPR
Intermediate Driver

There's something different about the camaraderie among Mini owners - can't really put my finger on it, but it's not the same as with Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes, Challengers, and all the other more common enthusiast cars.  Maybe it has something to do with underdog mentality, or the desire (need?) to be different from the mainstream.  Whatever the case, my fondest road trip memories also involve the Mini community.

It was at Mini Meet East, an annual gathering of Mini owners from the eastern half of the country.  In 2018 it was held in and around New Paltz NY, a mere 250 miles from my home and an easy drive in my '72 Mini.  There were several organized drives during the four day event, and for me, they were the highlights of the week.  The best one was an afternoon long, briskly paced tour through the Shawangunk Mountains of upstate New York.  This drive was led by a local alfisti who knew the roads well.

20180705_105518.jpg

Picture, if you will, a conga line of Minis snaking through the twisty mountain roads.  I was fortunate to be first in line behind Local Knowledge Alfa, so I figured when his brake lights stayed dark, there was no reason for me to touch mine.  That strategy worked perfectly, allowing for the occasional howling of tires without the need for a change of underwear.

Many thanks are owed to the hosting club, Brits of the Hudson LTD, and especially to Lorine and Derick Karabec who organized and ran the whole event.