cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: Do your floor mats need a hair cut? Yes, I said floor mats!

So I was in a difficult quandary with my 1988 Mercury Cougar XR-7 recently, as all of my resto-modifications in the last 20 years are starting to show their age. I mean the car needs another paint job, the modified engine's pretty darn tired, etc. but fixing that stuff costs a lot of money and plenty of labor. 

So instead, I addressed a minor issue that was starting to bother me: The condition of the custom floor mats (and matching carpet from ACC) I installed back in 1999. More to the point, the fancy embroidery I spent on the floor mats was, for some reason, not as visible on the red carpet as you see here. 

Why do the cats not face in the same direction?Why do the cats not face in the same direction?

Getting to this end result was a three step solution: use a carpet shampooer on the floormat, let the carpet dry, take grooming scissors (not the ones pictured below) to trim down the carpet around the stitching, and finally use a carpet brush (or your hand) to remove all the carpet trimmings. Start off small, cut as little carpet as possible. You will have to repeat this several times to ensure you cut enough material, as you MUST be careful where you cut when dealing with an oddly shaped logo like the Cougar's head. 

Success!Success!

So tell me please, with this information in mind, do YOU also need to trim your floor mats? 

14 REPLIES 14
DUB6
Instructor

Wow, stellar results!  I have regular rubber mats down on my carpet, so no trimming needed.  The carpet in my pick-up, however, is nearly worn through in a couple of places, so it must be time to tackle that job, along with the sagging headliner.  I think your Cougar-carpet looks great!

Sajeev
Community Manager

That's very kind of you, thank you! 

miguelsamonte
Pit Crew

I'm 25 years old, but I don't wait 22 years to trim the ones inside my station wagon but I use an all-season floor mat in my other cars because it has a black interior. To get the job done, I just use a fabric shaver that's typically meant for sweaters, and other garments.

Fabric Shavers meant for garments don't take out too much fabric in my experience and they hold the bits together in a container.

BTW, how do you go about cleaning light-colored seatbelts? I haven't found a reliable technique to that yet.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Good question!  You should only clean seatbelts with hand soap and water. On my Cougar I got my seatbelts rebuilt for safety's sake, and subsequently got brand new material that looks great out of the deal too. I would recommend replacing them if they are in a car with a lot of miles on it. Two birds, one stone. 🙂 

miguelsamonte
Pit Crew

In your experience with different automakers don't these usually have lifetime warranties? My seatbelt reels a bit too slow that it gets caught in the door jam sometimes. I know with Honda they had a Lifetime Warranty but not sure how other companies proceed.

Sajeev
Community Manager

Nope, there's no such thing as a lifetime warranty. Depending on the age and how lucky/motivated/skillful your dealership is in getting a claim approved by the manufacturer, yes that can happen. But don't expect it from a 30+ year old car. 

As per NHTSA: "None of the regulations or statutes administered by NHTSA require manufacturers to provide a lifetime warranty for seat belts. However, NHTSA has the authority to require manufacturers to replace seat belts under certain circumstances. "

MoparMarq
Intermediate Driver

I have to second what Miguel said.  Not long ago I had to get a rear seat belt retractor replaced as it had stopped retracting whatsover, making that seat essentially useless.  Acura dealership didn't charge a penny for the work saying it was covered under a lifetime seatbelt warranty.  Would've gone to a JY, but the cars are almost impossible to find anymore.  '92 Acura Vigor.

Nice work on the floor mat, by the way. 

NITRO450EXP
Instructor

Sajeev

Great result, I don't currently have any logo embroidered mats.

Just plain carpet ones.

Nitro

Sajeev
Community Manager

Honestly I'd do this trick to the carpeted ones to get a clean edge around the sides now. Well, provided they were a good enough quality to be worth the effort of being shampooed and trimmed. 

MoparMan
Detailer

Sajeev:  You and I must must possess the "obsessive" gene, LOL!  Although I've not shaved my floor mats (I prefer the rubber or vintage clear vinyl ones).  I DID, however, meticulously work at restoring the original ones that came in my Honda, to the point of using liquid shoe polish to restore the color ( it was a color match made in heaven).   Painstakingly restoring the black lettering /accents on chrome trim  pieces, using a Q-tip to clean out recessed dash areas....yes, I'm obsessive, LOL!! 🙂

Sajeev
Community Manager

I feel your pain.  You are my people! 🙂 

RonD
Intermediate Driver

No, have all weather rubber mats in the Mazda🙂

cdkrek
Intermediate Driver

Couldn’t help but notice the 3 pedals.  Nice!  You do the manual swap yourself?  Turbo Coupe parts?

Sajeev
Community Manager

Good eye! I had a shop do most of it. Turns out I had to go back in there and fix stuff (missing bolt on the pedal assembly, poor trimming of the trans tunnel, etc) but the end result is good and it was done with Mustang parts. (Turbo Coupes have hydraulic clutches)