cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sajeev
Community Manager

Community Question: Best snack food for a road trip?

HagertyHagerty

This week's Community Question is pretty simple, what is your go-to snack when on a road trip?

It doesn't need to be healthy, but I guess that never hurts. Perhaps it should not be a full meal, as stopping somewhere to eat is part of the road trip experience? And of course we certainly don't want a snack that can make a mess inside if you accidentally drop/spill it! 

Mine? I'd go for a small bag of jerky (for the protein and vitamins, and because I rarely eat it otherwise) and a bottle of soda (Cherry Coke really speaks to me on the Interstate) with a twist top so it won't spill.  That is more than enough calories, good stuff and not-so-good stuff (i.e. there's a lot of sugar in a 20 oz. bottle) to keep me going for hours on the road. 

So tell us,  what is your go-to snack when on a road trip? 

54 REPLIES 54
hyperv6
Collector

M&M’s they melt in your mouth not on your wheel. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

Oh that is good. 

brsinbozeman
Pit Crew

Granola Bars for the long haul

ppointer
Detailer

Nothing but Diet Dew for me on that 16 hour trip from South FL to middle of Ohio.

BLD1
Pit Crew

Fritos.

jaustinmd
New Driver

Pretzel twists and sliced red bell pepper strips.

3p141592654
New Driver

Skittles.  By the way, what dash is that?

sclin10
Instructor

Early '60s Impala?

Alikat51
Intermediate Driver

61-2' Impala

BIGHOCK
Intermediate Driver

My Girlfriend ..... lol   ♥️

dhmoody356
New Driver

Snickers bar

gster
Intermediate Driver

In the 60's my Grandparents always travelled with a metal picnic basket (plaid) with

ham sandwiches and a thermos of hot coffee.

I try to follow tradition but I usually eat my sandwich backing out of the driveway....

DUB6
Racer

And I have one of those metal plaid "baskets", and a plaid metal thermos to match it.  Great tradition.  The solution to your weakness is to make more than one sandwich: one for the driveway, and "one for the road" (obviously where that expression came from, no?)

BIGHOCK
Intermediate Driver

BIGHOCK_0-1638812608224.jpeg

lesarm
New Driver

Pretzels .. clean, neat and satisfy the salt crave. 

sclin10
Instructor

I enjoy a good medium-rare T-bone, although it's hard to steer and cut at the same time.

dougking
Pit Crew

Also- subway BMT- lettuce, onion, olives etc, with the top down doing 80 through TN on the many trips down and back to orlando. make sure and clean the car on arrival, the veggies and onion will be everywhere and get a bit stinky in a day or two...

38Chevy454
Intermediate Driver

Beef jerky is good. So is some nuts. Avoid the high carb chips and candy. Those just make you sugar crash and tired. Drink is diet coke or zero cal energy drink.

JaxRam
New Driver

Trail mix with M&Ms

59sky
New Driver

Black & Red Liquorice

Dancer
New Driver

My wife eats the red it is the worst thing to smell in the car 

doubleD
Pit Crew

peanut M+Ms  sweet, salty, and they don't melt

daffodildeb
Intermediate Driver

Nutter Butter cookies.  No crumbs, sweet, and a bit of protein.  They’ve been my go-to road food for many years.

Alikat51
Intermediate Driver

Beef Jerky and a pop. doesn't melt or get stale in a closed car, doesn't crumble like chips.

win59
Advanced Driver

You don't eat in my car.

lalease
New Driver

Mix a bag of Corn Nuts and M&Ms

SilentBoy741
Instructor

Cinnabons and roadside hot dogs, because as everybody knows, no food *IN* the '56!

Ric925az
New Driver

Peanut butter pretzels, jerky, diet coke

New Driver

Red Hots

The_Murph
New Driver

I never drive long distances without a bag of sunflower seeds and a spit cup...

Studebacher
Intermediate Driver

Cheese popcorn and Jerky, and damp paper towels to wipe up.

Rm23956
New Driver

Wheat thins, peppermint candies to keep me alert and water. 

Kajunbreeze
New Driver

Tootsie Pops, water, diet coke (minis)

PeteRunning
Pit Crew

Red Vines and Goldfish. And coffee, lots of coffee!

73Mountaineer
New Driver

We always have a bag of Gardetto's in the car for every road trip.

Tinkerah
Engineer

Coffee and pistachios. Yes I can crack them with one hand and no I don't mind evidence of people enjoying life in any of my cars. Not spilled liquids mind you but dropped shells, potato chips, even sand tracked in from the beach are all proof of a vehicle being a loved member of the family.

Inline8OD
Technician

Why would anyone want food or drink in a nice car?  As a grade school boy on trips in my father's black and white '56 Chrysler New Yorker St. Regis two-door hardtop hemi, which devoured the miles,   we managed just fine sans cupholders, etc.  If we got hungry we stopped at some restaurant, stretched.

Either stay home, or drive.  Make up your minds.

garymagwood
Pit Crew

The primo cheezies made in Belleville, Ontario: Hawkins Brand established in the late 40s...

mkvi30
Pit Crew

For long summertime trips, especially in a drop top, a half gallon of Orange Julius is the way to go.

Jteakus
Pit Crew

My wife and I always look for the bags of French Burnt Peanuts. We don't eat them any other time but road trips. Reminds me of my childhood which is perfect when I'm feeling like a kid again driving my dream car, C7 Corvette.

DUB6
Racer

I think I gave a "Like" to every response that included "COFFEE".  If you replied with COFFEE and I missed giving you a thumbs up, be sure to let me know and I'll make up for it.  I hope by now that I've made my essential travel snack/drink choice clear: it must include COFFEE.  I'm good with just about any kind of nuts (pistachios were a good one, Tinkerah), and someone else said Granola Bars, which are also good with me.  And of course, there was the ham sandwich picnic input, which appeals to me.  But honestly, whatever I eat on a trip, as long as I can wash it down with COFFEE, I'm gonna be good to go (in more ways than one).  🙄

RedRyder_SFZ
Detailer

Gatorade Zero(Original green/yellow) and “Hard Times” beef jerky. I’m a jerky connoisseur and this jerky is the real deal. Made in Oklahoma and a toothpick is in every bag. Happy trails. 

DUB6
Racer

A toothpick in every bag?  Man, that's Class A stuff right there, I can tell!

Inline8OD
Technician

Wow. 42 replies so far, and only Win59 seems to be a real car guy.    No wonder fully one-third of Americans clinically morbidly obese.

bblhed
Instructor

Back when I was in the Navy I did more than one Kings bay to Groton trip on 3 one liter bottles of Mountain Dew and two packs of Marlboro reds. Now I'm older and road trips tend to be along the east coast from Ct to Fl and involve Amtrak's AutoTrain allowing my car to go backwards for 900 miles with no one behind the wheel while I'm in a sleeper. These trips involve a meat and cheese tray, bourbon and Cola, and wine. Why not, Amtrak is driving and my car is not packing on miles while I have a place to sleep it off. When I'm behind the wheel I don't normally eat so it's greasy spoons and gas station grub, Wawa and Waffle House are favorites, also Hardies, I really like local places as well. I haven't has a Marlboro in over 10 years.

Marv48
Intermediate Driver

Fig bars are always great or pretzels for a change of pace with water handy.  Coffee if you get tired.

MarvL
New Driver

When I am on the road before noon there is a cup of black coffee. After noon a can of red original recipe coke with a bag of Fritos and regular M & M's.

LoudV8
Intermediate Driver

Sweet/salty trail mix, strong black coffee and a jazz blowing thru the speakers.

thetossedtool
Intermediate Driver

May I share with you the worst road trip snack?  Chili dog.  Ask me how I know.