cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1972CJ
Pit Crew

1972 429 CJ

I read one of your articles about the 429 CJ being discontinued in the Mustang in 1972.  I also have a 35th Anniversary Mustang book that says the same thing.   I purchased a 1972 Mustang last year, according to the VIN anyway, and the engine in it is a DOVE-A, which is a 429 CJ.  I read the DOVE-A engine was produced from 1970-1974.  My 1972 has ram air and is a coupe with the Grande body and Tunnel Backlight rear.    My Mustang is also a 4 speed.  So according to your article, my mustang should be a 1971, but my VIN says it is a 1972.  Is it possible I got a 429 CJ in my 72 because Ford didn't take all the 429 CJs out of commission, so some of the 72s have a 429 CJ?  Or is it possible it is a 71 and the DMV got it wrong?  I think the chances are slim that someone took the effort to put a 429 CJ in a 72, when it was discontinued just a year earlier in 71 and it is more likely that this particular 72 got lucky and got a 429 CJ or it is actually a 71.

I am very interested in hearing your thoughts.  I have pictures of my mustang if you are interested. 

12 REPLIES 12
Greg_I
Detailer

A quick check on the year is that the VIN will start with the number "2" for 1972, the next digit of the VIN will be the assembly plant, next two digits after that will be the body style code and finally, the fifth digit for the VIN will be your engine code. Your car is intriguing, because according to the 1972 National Automobile Theft Bureau's Motor Vehicle Identification Manual, the only 429 VIN codes assigned were "N" for the standard 429-4V engine and "P" for the 429 police spec engine. According to them, the digits "C" for the Cobra Jet and "J" for a Cobra Jet with Ram Air were discontinued after the 1971 model year.

That's what the books say, however anyone who is into muscle cars knows that anything is possible and strange creations made it out the door which were never intended to be. I'm curious to hear what you find after checking over the VIN.

1972CJ
Pit Crew

Greg, thanks for the comment.  I just went through the VIN and it is a 72.  According to the VIN mine should be a 2 Door Hardtop Grande with a 351 2 Barrel Carb.  But I have the DOVE-A, a 429 CJ.  Maybe this car made it through the assembly line with a 71 429 CJ and they just let it be, even though they were supposed to comply with the more strict emissions controls that were implemented in 72.  Or someone did take the trouble to put a 429 CJ in it sometime in the last 48 years.  I like to think it is the former, and that this is a rare one--a one of a kind 72 that was made with a 429 CJ engine. 🙂   

Greg_I
Detailer

If you're absolutely committed to a definitive answer, then a report form Marti Auto Works is the best source of truth. Either way, sounds like an awesome car! Hope you can get out driving soon!

1972CJ
Pit Crew

I did some work on it recently--new electronic ignitor for the distributor, new alternator and even did a head gasket job, which required a new intake manifold gasket, too, of course.  I had my 79 year old neighbor tune in my 650 CFM Edelbrock carb and it runs fantastic right now.  I live and work in town so it I drive it several times a week and had it out yesterday.  My little profile picture is of my car.  I'm very happy with it and have a lot of fun with it.

Anthony

Hmmm. Would love seeing some photos!
1972CJ
Pit Crew

Capture.JPG

1972CJ
Pit Crew

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

Sajeev
Community Manager

Hello and welcome! I think the part number tells the story here. 

• The D0VE part number breaks down to: 1970 (D and Zero),  Lincoln Continental (V), Engine (E).
  • In order for this to be a Boss block it needs to be C9AE:  1969 (C and 9), Ford (A),  Engine (E). 

That said, the D0VE A block is supposedly improved over the original 385-series block using some of the benefits of the Boss motor. I suspect someone added a Lincoln Continental or Mark III motor to your car in the past.  So are you absolutely that motor is the one that came with the car from the factory? 

1972CJ
Pit Crew

I am not sure it is from the factory.  I just know it is a 72 and they stopped putting the 429 in Mustangs in 71.  Either someone took the trouble to replace the 351 with a 429, or it made it through the line with the previous year's engine.  Not sure I will ever know.

newfzee
New Driver

Yes, someone took the time to put a 429 in it. It did not leave the factory with one. End of story.

Greg_I
Detailer

His best way to clear up the question would be to get a Marti Report. If anyone can put this to bed, it would be him, but yes, the swap theory would be most likely.

Sajeev
Community Manager

I betcha its not a 429, its a 460.  More cubes for more power, just slam edelbrock heads/intake/mild cam in there and you'll be make just as much power as a 429...maybe even more!