cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your neighborhood might be a better car show than you think

If you live in a suburb, perhaps your usual route to and from home follow the same prescribed paths. That leaves lots of streets and driveways unseen, unexplored, and ripe for car spotting. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/hagerty-community/your-neighborhood-might-be-a-better-car-show-than-yo...

Replies (44)

Replies (44)

How true! Over the last few years walking to get exercise I've found and purchased within three blocks on my house in basement garages a 1949 original owner Pontiac Silver Streak two door fastback, a 1989 ASC McLaren Mustang ( only yellow one ever produced), and a month ago a real gem. 1969 Plymouth Hemi Roadrunner coupe , one of 194 4 speed cars produced that year. 

The Pontiac owner was in his late 80's and his Mom bought the car new. The ASC McLaren Mustang had some damage from a slide on black ice and the guy just didn't have the money to fix it with a new family, and the Roadrunner was a car that was reserved for drag racing early on and then just put away as the owner grew out of that phase of his life. The Pontiac and Mustang were bargains. I had to step up on the Roadrunner, but one of 194 and the iconic Hemi 4 speed was too much to resist.

Yes, they are still out there.

Passenger

We live in a gated golf community for  "over 55 active adults" with a little over 3,000 homes. The majority of whom retired from fairly average careers. It is amazing what we see in open garages when riding or walking around. 

We hold an annual "coffee and cars". Not only are there dozens of muscle cars, there are Corvettes from 56 to new, various vintage classics, cars not seen much such as a 59 Buick convertible, a 57 Ford Skyliner, several 55 - 57 T Birds,  several 50s vintage VW buses, British and German classics and more.  

Many are recent acquisitions by those who "always wanted one", and some have been owned for years. 

Truly a great neighborhood car show.

Passenger

Great pictures, I thought you didn’t get rust in L A, did the four wheeler drive in the ocean? I think I saw a 53 Ford and the Dynamic Olds was rare. Where I am we have to put our classics away for the winter. Stay safe.

New Driver

Nice cars, all of them, but I have my own car show. It's only one, but Burt Reynolds and Sally Field made it famous in the first two Smokey and the Bandit movies by driving a car similar to it. I have a survivor, numbers matching, 1981 SE Trans Am Firebird, with a NA 4.9L V8. It's not a show car, just a show-off car.

New Driver

I love the Ranchero

Passenger

Nice start to the article with the photo of a Lancia Montecarlo/Scorpion. I can appreciate the sentiment which is just a walk or a drive around the neighborhood.

Passenger

The 65 Ranchero!!! I wish I were so lucky. What a great machine. Style, dependability and all around usability. Oh yeah, the Olds Dynamic 88. The neighbor hood I lived in while growing up never saw anything like that. Being rural the ranchero and elkie's were and will always be dear to me. Maybe one day.......

Intermediate Driver

I enjoyed your "car show" as I do miss the local car round ups, show & shines, park & talk, etc. due to the current times.  I live "in the sticks" so neighbors are few and far between.  Continue to enjoy your neighborly walks.

Passenger

Unfortunately no picture, as this car was moving--right smartly--down US 35 near my house:  a black, XK120 Jaguar, top down, driver grinning as he tooled along "a few mph" over the 55 mph speed limit.  In very nice shape, but obviously not a Pebble Beach concours car. 

Can't remember the last time I saw a 120 that wasn't headed to or from a car show.  We gave each other thumbs-up ( I was driving my '91 BMW 318is) and proceeded on our separate ways.  Funny thing--I've never seen that Jag at a local car show, cruise in etc.  Wonder where it hides out.

We've got a '69 Chevelle SS, a '64 Vette, and '70 Karmann Ghia, all within a hundred feet here. There about half a dozen cars on the next block, but the never park them on the street, so you only get a glimpse when their garage door is open. The Vette was directly across the street and I never knew he had it, until it was towed in for work.

New Driver

Excellent article. Check out this account on Instagram. Car spotting from the streets of NYC.

American_Vroom

Passenger

No so much in Minnesota.  What you do see is extra garages next to suburban houses.  If I had X-Ray vision I would probably see lots of great cars.  

Passenger

Wow! Twice the Lightning strikes!

First as a written feature and now a picture of the most beautiful pick up ever made.

Intermediate Driver

Wow, some nice cars and you may have found the 69 T-Bird that I sold in 1997.  I did the body work and painted it that exact same color, which if I recall correctly was not a factory color.  It had a 429 BB in it and ran great!  I sold when my wife and I started a family.  Should have tucked it away.  Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20.  If that is the same car, it is good to see it still surviving.

Passenger

A line-up of three MG Midgets nose to tail, two with hardtops.

New Driver

We've been doing this kind of capturing of cars in the wild (not at auctions or car shows) for almost 10 years.  We nab them parked and in motion when possible.  Please check out Feral Cars on Facebook and/or feralcars on Instagram.  We run a new one every weekday and today's is truly amazing: a MBZ 300SL gullwing parked at the side of the road with the wings up.  Sometimes it's just a Falcon or Dart but we do get our fair share of stunners.

New Driver

The images brought back memories for me.  My first car was a 67 Firebird Sprint (not sure if the first image is a sprint or not).  The Sprints were unique and had a 230 cu in 230 HP overhead cam 6 cylinder with a 4 bbl Quadrajet and a Saginaw 4-speed.  My second car was 67 Mustang as shown in the next to last image.  When I got married in '77 I still had the mustang and my wife had a 67 Mustang GTA fast back,  The good old days.  

New Driver

Notice the California license plates, where rust does not rule!

Pit Crew

I really liked the Polara and the Thunderbird. You live in a good place.

Intermediate Driver

When I purchased my first car, a '67 RS/SS Camaro about 8 years ago, I started to notice all the older vehicles in my community so the next year I invited as many of them as I could get a hold of to come out for community car show.  That first year we had 27 vehicles, last year, our 6th we had over 125 vehicles that raised over $5000 for a local non profit that provides alcohol and drug rehab services.  It has been great to get to know the other car nuts and I look forward to resuming the car show once the social distancing has been relaxed.

Passenger

Around my neighborhood are lots of nice old cars, but what I think is that COVID19 is real and very serious. It is proved that virus stays on the pavement and that you can take it home in your shoes, so I think it’s not a very good idea to be walking around your house and putting your family in risk just to check how many classic or interesting cars are around your home, it is a matter of responsibility with our beloved ones, STAY HOME!! 

New Driver

Ranchero is SWEET! 

Pit Crew

love it , no for sale sign tho

Passenger

Having just watched Tom Cotter finding two very different types of car collectors it amazes me that the one guy acquires cars by the hundred, restores about 40 of them by the look of it, and then parks them off and does nothing with them! He just lets them collect dust and knows that the engines will freeze and the rubbers will perish etc. but that's o.k. as he has a couple of hundred more that he is going to restore. There are so many enthusiasts out there that would love to buy so many of his cars, put them back on the road, and enjoy them. That might only happen after he croaks, and that might be past the desirability date of the current generation so they will possibly go to the scrapyard. The other gentleman is the real McCoy collector, driver, restorer etc. and drives and enjoys his cars whether or not they are perfectly presented. Thanks for another great episode Tom. 

Pit Crew

That GMC can't be a Calif car with all the rust

New Driver

Yes, every time I drive my 56 Chevy around I see all kinds of nice older and new wonderful cars.  Sometimes I stop to chat with the owners. 

Passenger

Love that old Buick and the  Caddy with the fake tire cover on the trunk

Pit Crew

My neighbor down the street just cruised by in his 1965 GTO. He rotates his collector cars which include a 1962 Corvette, a 1967 Safari wagon and two Comets, a 1964 and a Maverick-based version. Across the street from him is a second generation Mustang. In other parts of town I have stumbled across a 1949 Frazer, a 1948 DeSoto, a 1951 Chrysler, a 1967 Chevelle,  and a pair of 1959 Impalas. Those last six have all been neglected for many years, which is why I keep buying lottery tickets.

Pit Crew

On my driveway I have a 97 BMW M3 sedan that I rebuilt. Right behind it is another 97 BMW 3 series sedan with a 600hp GM LS. In my garage I have a 2006 CTSV and a 2016 ATSV plus in storage 2 BMW E46 M3s. Don't have to go far!

Pit Crew

That is such a good idea! 

New Driver