cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Your handy glossary for Chevy’s Z-code cars

Of course, Datsun and Nissan have dibs on the Z-Car moniker—we’re not arguing that. But Chevy was actually there first. The original Datsun 240Z didn’t arrive until 1970, while Chevy’s first Z-Cars, the Z11 427-powered Impalas and Z06 Corvette had become legends seven years earlier.

Truth is, by the time Mr. K finally got his sports car, Chevy had already brought a long list of legendary Z-Cars to market, including the Z16 Chevelle, ZL1 Corvette, and the most famous of them all, the Z/28 Camaro.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/your-handy-glossary-for-chevys-z-code-cars/

21 REPLIES 21
GoFast
Detailer

The brake drums mentioned in the 1963 Corvette Z06 text were cast iron, not steel.  Steel is never used for brake drums or rotors except in motorcycles where stainless steel avoid a rusty appearance.  The particular type of cast iron used instead is Meehanite, a nodular material developed by the company of the same name.

Sajeev
Community Manager

You are right!  I am making that change now, thank you for bringing it to my attention! 

slpkid
New Driver

Z11 was also the RPO code for the 69 Camaro pace car.

Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

And Z10 for the coupe version.

slpkid
New Driver

Technically the Z10 is not a Pace Car but yes it is another Z car.
Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

The '63 Z11 pictured above is an Impala but not an SS. 

Tenbeers
Passenger

Where are the ZL1 Corvettes?

Sajeev
Community Manager

Its mentioned in the same place where the ZL1 Camaro is pictured. 

Tenbeers
Passenger

Where are the ZL1 Corvettes?

narcoosee
New Driver

Don’t forget the 1969 Z Camaros - the Z11 Indianapolis 500 pace car convertible and the Z10 coupe. 

jsfury
Intermediate Driver

But what does the "Z" stand for? Is it in reference to Zora Arkus-Duntov? Famed GM Engineer? 

slpkid
New Driver

No. RPO's with a Z are special equipment packages such as Z21 for the exterior style package, Z22 for the Rally Sport package and Z27 for the Super Sport package, just as L's are used for engines, M's for transmissions and G's for drive trains.

slpkid
New Driver

ZL1 Corvettes were not built in 1970. They were a 69 only option and there are were only 3 known production cars built. It is rumored however that as many as 10 pre-production  cars were built.

Sajeev
Community Manager

You are correct, and thank you for informing me of this error! I am making the change now. 

Z19
Passenger

How about Z19 ????       Chevy Citation X-11

Chevyprez
Passenger

One you forgot was the Z24 Cavalier from 86-87, with the 2.8 v6.  Not a powerhouse, but it was a sharp car.  Mine was the hatchback with the American Racing style wheels, raised white BFG's, Metallic Gray color.  A lot of fun.

slpkid
New Driver

The Fuelie was rated at 360 hp in 63 not 370. In fact the Fuelie never had a rating of 370, it was 360 in 62 and 63 then 375 in 64 and 65.

zappafanx
New Driver

Weren't the modern ZL1's reintroduced in 2012 not 2014?

Sajeev
Community Manager

Correct! I am going to make that change. 

kwil
Passenger

The ZL1 Camaro was introduced as a 2012 model. Not as a '14

Sajeev
Community Manager

You are right!  I am making that change now.