cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Your handy 1967-77 Alfa Romeo GTV buyer's guide | Hagerty Media

Every country has a car that most represents its pinnacle of automotive production. It's doesn't have to be the the fastest car, nor the most numerous in terms of manufacturing volume. The kind of vehicle in question here is one that has endured as a distillation of that country's design, attitude, or engineering capability-that which makes it wholly unique.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/your-handy-1967-77-alfa-romeo-gtv-buyers-guide/
8 REPLIES 8
GianniB
Intermediate Driver

It was crash standards and not emissions that ended GTV sales at the end of 1974. Alfa had an exemption for 1974 that allowed them to sell small bumper-ed cars when larger volumes makers like BMW adopted the 5mph bumpers. The same engine was sold in the 1975 Spider (with big old bumpers), albeit with an added air injection system for emissions. Plus the Alfetta GT was ready and the GTV’s platform was 20 years old.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Thanks for your feedback. From what we have found, it is both safety and emissions that ended GTV sales. I have amended the article to reflect both issues. If you have documentation that contradicts Wikipedia (below) I would be more than happy to remove the emissions comment: 

According to Marco Fazio of Alfa Romeo, the very last 1974 model year USA models were actually produced in early 1975. They could not meet 1975 USA safety and emissions regulations and thus they were brought in as model year 1974 despite carrying 1975 certificates of origin. 37,459 2000 GTVs were made before production ended.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_105/115_Series_Coup%C3%A9s 

GianniB
Intermediate Driver

I don’t think I’d take Wikipedia as definitive. I was looking at Shekhar Mehta’s biography and it says his career ended after a near fatal crash in 1986. I saw him driving a factory Nissan 200 SX at the 1987 Olympus World Rally, so there’s that.

The Alfa Spider had the same exact engine as the 2000 GTV and it was smog-ed with additional equipment in 1975, so Alfa could have passed the GTV in ‘75 as far as emissions. Crash-wise it would have been much tougher as the GTV was designed in ‘63 with no thought given to 5mph bumpers.
Bdgr92
Pit Crew

These are great driving cars. While they are “momentum cars” (read, slow), they’re fun, easy to drive, and they’re nicely composed on the highway, increasingly settling in at higher speeds. While I can’t point to any one thing about my ‘74 GTV 2000 that particularly moves me, the whole of the car has won me over. Just a really nice car to own and drive regularly. 

All old cars have their quirks. If you’re considering buying a GTV, I’ll point out two of its more significant quirks:  1) Leg room is at a premium for taller drivers. I wear a 36” inseam, and when the car is in second gear, the gear shift knob, steering wheel, and my right knee are in spatial conflict. Fortunately, my car doesn’t spend much time in second; and 2) Due to the pedal configuration, it’s physically impossible for me to heel-and-toe to match revs on downshifts going into turns. It requires a different driving style . . . or the price of reconfiguring the pedal box.  For those two reasons, I’ve never had my car on the track out of consideration for safety, and I never will. 

I don’t buy cars as investments. I buy to drive. I was fortunate to have bought mine 12 years ago, however, because my (unintended) investment in the car since has kept pace with market value increases. That continued investment has made it a great driver GTV, which is the most important factor for me, but the market increase does help me feel better about that investment. The point is that I’m living proof of what the article said, that in today’s market, be sure to buy the best you can find, because you can’t afford to buy a “cheap” one anymore.

BcG
New Driver

I owned an ’86 AR Spider and used it as a commuter in all weather conditions in the DC area including snow for many a year and also at the track, Summit Point, WV (https://summitpoint-raceway.com). My friend and I (he had a GTV6 and then a Milano track car) had been going to Friday At the Track (FATT) for several years in the car. We both went enough times that we became certified to attend Seat Time. I did all the work on the car I could and found a great Alfa-trained mechanic who was more than willing help me out and gave me solid advice. Any work I could not preform, went to him.

I purchased my 1973 GTV back in the mid ‘90s and it was to replace the Spider as my track car for it was slowly being eaten away by the tinworm. The GTV had been rescued by another Alfa fanatic who liked body work so he fixed all the rust and even painted it. He presented me a list of his restoration items and since I am more of a mechanic, I towed it home since I didn’t have any new plates.

Both cars a great fun to drive, pretty neutral steering, not exactly brimming with power so you can’t get into too much trouble, excellent brakes, and a very reliable engine. But the GTV did not have the body shimmy/shake of the Spider and was a bit lighter as well. And if it rained, I didn’t have to stop to put up the top. The Spider and GTV share the majority of underpinnings so working on it did not present too many surprises.

Used parts are not that hard to find but trim pieces are a pain such as the aluminum trim around the front and rear windscreens - it is an integral part of the gasket to hold everything in place. BTW, the bumper are stainless steel so they never rust. It is nice the Wolf steel (https://www.alfaparts.net/105_115gtv.html) has all the body panels including the 3 door sill panels you need - if the outer most panel is rusty, trust me, the other two are in much worse shape. There are several Alfa parts dealers in the US and the UK that can supply you everything from OE drain hoses to better flowing muffler systems. Online, AlfaBB.com (https://www.alfabb.com) is the place to go for help and information on all Alfas.

I never worked on a SPICA mechanical fuel injection but found an expert with Wes Ingram Enterprises - he rebuilt it to specs. The fuel tank was so rusty that bits would flake off and clog the fuel filter to the point the car would not go any faster than 30 mph until the flakes settled back down - I had Tank Renu restore the tank since you cannot find any new GTV tanks.

With stock 14” wheels, tire selection is pretty limited especially with track tires. There are 15” wheels that will fit but anything larger will need the wheel well expanded.

Since it was my track car, I installed larger valves in the head, rebuilt the engine with Motronic pistons, put in 5-point harness with a harness bar, Corbeau racing seats, a Watts linkage to replace the rear trunnion arm, Ward & Dean springs (lowered the car) and stiffened it, and yellow Konis. I replaced the brake hard lines, and all the rubber/flex lines I could find. I’m sure I can throw lots more into it….

I’ve been to Summit Point, VIR, and Lime Rock for HPD events in the GTV. Some of them I drove the car there but with the purchase of a Dakota V8, I started towing the car to gain 5 seconds on my lap times. Some events were sponsored by local Alfa clubs and others by other car clubs or track event organizers. If I had a faster car, I could be in the Expert class - I tried once but all I did all day was point everyone else by me so I always opt for the Intermediate class. But one thing is for sure, once the rain comes out, only the ‘momentum’ cars are on the track - I have had the whole track (1.2 miles of it) all by myself for several laps one day. And I did get to pass a Ferrari once at a FATT for the new owner was having difficulty with the gated shift pattern. He was there with his new trophy car and new trophy wife …

The adage is that Alfas are made for folks with short legs and long arms - true for both the Spider and GTV. My inseam is only 30” but my right leg is right up again the tranny tunnel with the seat back as far as it can go and I can still hold on to the steering wheel. Your right foot will get a cramp over long periods of driving. I’m not sure just how Bdgr92 does it! I agree about the pedals not being setup for heel’n toe but I think that there are pedal covers that bridge the gap between the two without having to mess with the arms.

One thing about the GTV is that you might be low compared to all the other cars around you on the highway, but you have a full 360 degree view - no narrow windows or massive pillars in the way. No need for any type of camera. And I don’t know how many times folks have come by to say how much they like the lines of the GTV and how they think it is one of the most gorgeous cars every made.

My latest GTV investment, you ask? I finally installed a new 2-speed wiper motor from the UK so I can now drive in the rain and actually see what is ahead of me.

Now, these cars have recently gone way up in price (I bought mine for around $5k). As mentioned in the article, at Bring-a-Trailer, a 1974 GTV (https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-alfa-romeo-gtv-2000-25/?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=email&utm_ca...) went for $86,500 on March 21st. It was highly restored and modded (a ‘restomod’) out of CA.

In the recent edition of the Alfa Owner (AROCs monthly publication) these two GTVs were for sale:

1971 GTV 1750  

Odometer showing 94,144 miles.  Restored and lovingly cared for by the same owner for 30 years plus.  Bare metal paint in medium gray metallic by Classic Coach Works in Atascadero, CA.  No rust or body repair found.  Bumper to bumper restoration with all new rubber.  Major components replaced with new or renewed parts.  New gas tank, radiator core, upgrade front suspension with adjustable shocks.  Heads redone and ports polished, original fuel injection rebuilt, interior reupholstered in original design.  New trunk liner, electronic ignition system, remote alarm system and blue California plates.  Extensive list of additional parts, new and rebuilt including Weber dual carbs, and complete  SPICA from 1974 2000 GTV.  Extensive list of maintenance receipts.  Price: $50,000 or Make Offer, plus shipping

1921 GTV 2000

Green over tan vinyl.  Mods: Weber carburetor conversion, electronic ignition, Panasport wheels and performance cams.  In 2020, rust repairs, fluids services, spark plugs, battery, alternator belt, sound insulation, seat belts, trunk mat, wiper motor and door hinge pins.  Service records to 2000.  Price : $34,500, OBO

Article Notes:

Some early model year GTVs came with only two headlights. With the 4-lamp setup, some folks used aircraft landing lights as ‘fog’ lamps - used as long distant driving lamps most likely.

And the dreaded grunch when shifting into first is due to the heavy syncros still spinning and is common problem in most of the Alfa trannys of this era. The trick is to engage 2nd slightly (the first ‘notch’) and then shift into 1st. It will save you from having to replace the syncros which are becoming harder to find these days.
GianniB
Intermediate Driver

You want to be careful about putting bigger, stickier tires on a GTV. The stress will cause the 50+ year old Burman steering box to crack. Then it’s either used or the Alfaholics repro that’s over $600.
Smileamile
Intermediate Driver

These make awesome race cars. Just home from Mid-Ohio where something like 12 GTV’s and a Gulia raced under SVRA (Sportscar Vintage Racing Association) rules. I crew for Rob Davenport whose dad, Dick, won SCCA and TransAm through the 70’s in his ’74 GTV. Rob carries on the tradition of racing it (#22) and his son Robbie may well get his racing license and continue with this car. Other than changing tires and keeping gas full, this car is bullet proof. We’re looking forward to racing at Watkins Glen in September. Alfa is the featured marque.
BcG
New Driver

The Alfa GTA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_GTA) was Alfa's racing line of GTVs.

And now Alfa has a 2021 GTA (https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31188936/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-gta-photos-info/) that might make it to the US.