cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Your handy (1961-69) Lincoln Continental buyer's guide | Hagerty Media

The styling excesses of the 1950s couldn't last forever, and there's one vehicle that deserves credit for ushering in the new era of mid-century modernism. The fourth-generation Lincoln Continental was a hit from day one, remained inspirational at the bottom of its depreciation curve, and has rightfully earned its status as a collectible sensation.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/your-handy-1961-69-lincoln-continental-buyers-guide...
12 REPLIES 12
TonyT
Technician

The only thing not factored in to this article is the cost of a 17,000 pound capable lift that is needed to get these leviathans off the ground for undercar maintenance or repairs. I'm surprised that they don't leave cracks in the pavement wherever they travel.
mikem350
Pit Crew

How about them being called "Kennedy cars"? One of the truly timeless, bad ass looking models.
Flashman
Technician

The amount of research you do for this Buyer's Guide series is impressive. Do you have in intern?
Sajeev
Community Manager

I wish!  This is all me, for better or worse. Mostly better! 

Iso_Grifo
Instructor

Nice summation. That first generation 1961-64 is an epic car.

I looked up weights of cars because I always see people going on about how heavy these are, but the 1961-64 weighs the same as average new 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (for example) at 4900 lb curb weight. So really it's the same as a modern deluxe SUV.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Or similar to the weight of a modern luxury electric sedan. 

Iso_Grifo
Instructor

True! Another way to put it into perspective, isn't it?

edit: Just looked it up and the Tesla S weighs right around 4900 lbs.

Tim
Technician

It may surprise other generations how much Gen Xers love the Lincoln Continental, but it doesn't surprise us. This was a car we talked about and fawned over in high school. The slab side design, reverse-opening rear doors (not what we called them 😄) and other features made them rolling artwork to us. Gas was cheap then, but these were still priced well above high school kid money, so they remained more of a fantasy than a reality. Now that we're older, many Xers want to fulfill that dream.
DRF
Intermediate Driver

Knowing an owner that had two of these (early and late) from new, my buyer's guide advice would be "don't buy one". He told me that after the second one and its issues, he bought a Checker Marathon.
AG1962
Instructor

Thank you for this excellent buyer’s guide — very informative, as well as entertaining! As a 1962 baby, I remember seeing these cars as a young child. They and the Cadillacs of the day made a big impression on me in the back seat of my parents’ cars of that decade — first a dull 1948 Chev, then a rusted-out VW Bug, and finally a brand-new red 1969 Toyota Corolla wagon (a tinky little three-door unit that had to carry six people). You can see why I was in such awe of shiny, comfortable luxo-barges...
Sajeev
Community Manager

Thank you, I am glad to read that you enjoyed it! 

SalC
New Driver

What a great article. I am lucky enough to own a 63 convertible in black with honey beige interior. It is truly a blast from the past that is loved by all ages. The car is an instant conversation starter. But if you own the convertible, better learn how to use an ohm meter!