cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Your handy 1955-62 MG MGA buyer's guide | Hagerty Media

MG was a sports car manufacturer in dire need of a new shape by the 1950s. While most automakers adopted streamlined ponton styling over the previous decade, MG was still selling its T-series roadster, a shape right at home in the open-fendered 1930s.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/your-handy-1955-62-mg-mga-buyers-guide/
13 REPLIES 13
Flashman
Technician

Another interesting well-researched gem, but you might want to revist the word order in "...that in sometime 1959..."
Maestro1
Technician

Sajeev, well done.
I had a '56 when I lived in the Midwest, bought new from a Chicago Import Dealer whose name is long forgotten (advancing age on my part) and the two of us lived through Winters and hot Summers
together. The car as I remember was absolutely reliable with a few cranky days and though other
owners complained about the electronics in the car (The Prince of Darkness) I had no issues except for the directional signals as I remember now, which worked when they felt like it. I finally resorted to hand signals. Thank you for this.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Glad to hear the article resonated with you, it's always nice to hear from owners of the vehicles we write about. 

tiger66
Pit Crew

I don't think the 1600s were called "1600 Mk Is" back in the day -- they were always just MGA 1600s in magazine road tests, etc. 1600 Mk I is a more recent naming convention. I once owned a '60 1600 with wires and red interior just like the one in the photo. I later owned a 1600 Mk II. Never heard the 1600 called a "Mk I" in those days.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Yeah that makes a lot of sense. It reminds me of how everyone calls Mid Year Corvettes by the new name of C2. Sure, its accurate and easier to digest for everyone looking for a quick history lesson, but they will always be Mid Years to me. 

denali94
Intermediate Driver

I bought my '58 in 1971 from some guy in Barrington, Illinois with more money than car smarts - it was in boxes as he was in the midst of a several year "restoration". I was 21 and had spent several years of my misguided youth as a gopher and wrench twister for a buddies dad who campaigned a Healey 3000 around the Chicago area road courses. We made short order of rebuilding the drive train and getting the car back on the road. That car saw me through the rest of college in Upstate New York, served as a daily driver for a few years in Northern Illinois and was then relegated to weekend cruiser. A move to Alaska forced its sale in '78. One of the few cars I actually sold for more than I paid. As for the car itself; the heater was so good, I often took the side-curtains out during the winter and never had any electrical issues. My only gripe was that those wire wheels bent too easily especially when they contacted a curb whilst sliding sideways. Those narrow bias tires never did provide a lot of grip. At least I had a few spare wheels and access to the wheel jig the guys used for the old Healey. Many good memories of this car, one of the few I wish I had kept.
964c4
Detailer

Arguably the most attractive MG produced. Nicely written article.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

Lovely article. Makes me want one.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Me too, to be honest! 

Postie-13
Intermediate Driver

Been there, done that.
From a Bug Eye to a 1961 MGA, what an upgrade.
Unfortunately you cannot relive the past.Old British roadsters are true classic collectibles.
HOWEVER THEY SHOULD COME WARNING STICKERS!
Even though most parts are available, and not necessarily expense, these cars become a labor of love an pocketbook.
Be prepared to become a mechanical technician. You will forever be tinkering.
When you own a British classic, you drive with a hope and a prayer:
YOU HOPE THAT IT STARTS
AND
YOU PRAY TO GET BACK HOME!
That being said, don't be in a hurry to get anywhere because you will definitely draw attention.
Enjoy yourself; life is too short!
SJ
Technician

That engine picture looks exactly like my old 1955 Metropolitan engine(sans the SU's). There was a boss cast in the block for an oil filter but not machined, always thought that was weird/cheapo of them. 1100CC if I remember right. I could only beat 10 speed bikes and VW Vans, (not the car though).
Gary
Detailer

I don’t recall 1961’s have recessed grill or horizontal taillights or being a “mark “ series that was for 1962. I would not call a car that came factory equipped with beautiful leather seats and wool carpets minimalist. How many cars can you name that came stock or even had those options available in this period
Shooter
New Driver

Brings back memories of my 57 red w/black interior and wires. Was a fun car that I met my wonderful wife. 44 yrs. and 2 great sons later just found a TD for photographic day trips on the back roads of WV