cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Your handy 1949-53 Jaguar XK120 buyer's guide | Hagerty Media

After more than a 120 years of constant improvement in car building, it's easy to look at the XK120 and think "What a sweet old car," the wistful way you'd look at a Curved Dash Olds or a Benz Patent-Motorwagen. Don't make the mistake of confusing this glorious Jag for some dusty relic.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/your-handy-1949-53-jaguar-xk120-buyers-guide/
8 REPLIES 8
Numberscruncher
Detailer

Beautiful cars.
TomWright
New Driver

Mark V was not pre-war - the first example did not go to Clark Gable - there were no thin steel over ash frame 120's, and these are only a very few examples of the errors in this poorly written article.
This article is so replete with errors that I could finish it.
Why not use a knowledgable author and hire a competent editor?
Mogowner
Intermediate Driver

It may be the case that not any N American humans had driven at 120mph in 1948, but in Europe many had, in many different types of car. I am sure though that Indianapolis saw speeds much faster than that in the years before 1948. Nice pictures though.
Flashman
Instructor

I'm not quite as critical as others, but when you say "...and with the exception of two left-hand-drive cars, they were all headed to the export market.", you mean right-hand-drive.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Fixing that now. 

CJinSD
Advanced Driver

As nice a job as Lyons did of translating the 1941 Chrysler Newport into a post-war two-seater, my desire for one didn't survive closely examining an XK120 and driving an XK140. Although the straight line performance was above that of any four cylinder British roadster from even thirty years later; the ergonomics, control relationships, torturous driving position and handling were all very pre-war in character. I was left with an impression of what it might have been like to pilot a nineteen-thirties streamliner that looked advanced while being antique.
TrustyRusty
Intermediate Driver

It is interesting to note that Jaguar did not use the term, Roadster, to describe their "Open Two Seater", but actually called it an Open Two Seater. Back in the day, I owned a 1950 OTS, a 1951 OTS, a 1953 OTS, a 1956 Coupe and a 1964 Coupe. Yes, I still have the brass "dash plaque" from one of the roadsters, plus many memories...
Iso_Grifo
Detailer

A lot of errors that made it hard to read. As others have already pointed out.