cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrenchin’ Wednesday: Replacing U-joints without a shop press

Some people will tell you that you’ll need a hydraulic press in order to replace U-joints—those people are wrong. Here at Wrenchin’ Wednesday, the MO is to distill shop techniques and tools into something the home-gamer can do, and we’re going to pull back the veil on driveshaft service. Whether you’re chasing a mysterious vibration at higher speeds or listening to those poor needle bearings chirp in the morning, U-joints are a wear item that can sneak up on you and fail at the worst of times, putting your project out of commission and risking substantial damage from a newly liberated driveshaft once the joints catastrophically fail. On a typical labor book, a U-joint replacement is one or two labor hours, meaning that a $25 part can cost exponentially more once someone else installs it for you and charges around $100/hour.

The truth is that with a few sockets you probably already have in the toolbox, a hammer, and a basic bench vise, you can easily knock out worn U-joints and wrap up the repair as an afternoon project.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/wrenchin-wednesday-replacing-u-joints-without-a-s...

Replies (4)

Replies (4)

A screw driver is not a prybar, a punch or a drift. Buy the correct tools.

Pit Crew

I realize that you have to use the tools that are available, but one should NEVER hit a screwdriver with a hammer. I'm sure that if you looked around, you could find a an old rusty bolt or even a wooden dowel to perform that task. And since Christmas is coming, maybe Santa could bring you a nice set of chisels, drifts and punches so that your other tools won't suffer...

Intermediate Driver

Yep sockets, vise , hammer and occasional torch for those older gm joints with plastic retaining them

New Driver

Never used a press on any U joint. Sockets were how I was taught. 

Detailer