cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Wrenchin' Wednesday: Quick and cheap heat shields | Hagerty Media

Heat is thy enemy. It really doesn't matter what you're looking to improve in your project, from performance to comfort, heat management is one of those unspoken secret sauces to building a bulletproof machine. As a byproduct of energy production, be it from dead dinosaurs or buzzing electrons, heat is inescapable.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/wrenchin-wednesday-quick-and-cheap-heat-shields/
14 REPLIES 14
TonyT
Instructor

During my tenure with Chevrolet Racing, we spent some quality time at the Desert Proving Grounds in Yuma. The abuse that the engineers put the vehicles through probably exceeds what you can experience with the factory A/C system. That said, this is a great idea for use around other underhood components like the master cylinder or the battery.
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

Good job Phillip! I have a long shallow wooden box (space is limited in my shop) that I throw ALL bits & pieces of all metals into when done the project at hand. Then when working on a future project & needing some material, I scour thru said box looking for something that will suffice. I love building stuff out of already owned materials as it gives me a sense of pride (my ingenuity & fab skills) & I feel good about saving money. Kudo's to you Phillip!
cyclemikey
Intermediate Driver

LOL, I do exactly the same thing, but i have 3 long shallow boxes - small, medium, large - and everything goes in there. i can't count how many thingies and doodads I've built from "stuff" in those boxes. BTW, everyone has limited space in their shop, because stuff always expands to fit the space available. it's like the First Law of Stuff, or something.
ed
Detailer

And the Second Law of Stuff is that after the stuff has expanded to fit the space available, there is always room for a little more stuff.

Debx2
Intermediate Driver

I really appreciate DIY skills and projects. I am myself a fairly accomplished design and fab kinda guy both at home and during my career.
Saving a few dollars is always important if not always the most important part of a project.
That said, you lost me at CAD. While I did work as a equipment engineer for a memory chip manufacturer for a number of years and am very familiar with CAD it’s not something the average DIYer has available in their tool box.
CS_Buzz
New Driver

I think in this context, the “C” stands for “Cardboard.” That’s the form of CAD that I use the most!

Tinkerah
Technician

I've used CAD occasionally without even realizing it: Cardboard Aided Design!
John
Intermediate Driver

I would also glue some thin insulating material to the back of the heat shield. I have some 45 year old rolls of varying thickness asbestos for just this reason. I know that asbestos is nasty stuff, but this is not the fluffy stuff it is solid and I still wear gloves and a face mask when handling it. I usually seal it with heat resistant paint before use.
cyclemikey
Intermediate Driver

Uh, that clacking sound you hear is your readers clutching their pearls.

kareski
Pit Crew

I keep a small metal bin in my garage. A good amount of metal comes from the dead water cooler, washing machine, cloth dryer, and refrigerator. That scrap metal is usually the right thickness, already treated or painted to prevent rusting. I was able to obtain a good amount of stainless steel. Some of the rubber tubing can be used. I joke with my wife that our MGB has parts of a water cooler, and cloths dryer and washing machine to keep it going. At a car show one person asked where I was able to obtain a grey long vacuum hose going from my breather vent to the valve cover. I calmly said, "Oh, that is off my old washing machine".
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Dont forget coffee cans.
chrlsful
Instructor

yeah, the scrap pile is alot more than just automotive prts & their off cuts. Here I'd often seek something specifically usable as "Heat Shield". Not wise enuff to figure out how much thermally significant some sheetmetal is (yes I do have it near my wood stove but there's 2 ft on the stove side and 18 inches on the other of AIR - a great insulator.
I am trying to get ahead on a very similar project. Not the turbo but exhaust/headers/pipes/muffler ona 'no rug' vehicle. I'll use that air barrier, see if I can find an automotive thin metal 'heat shield', use the paintable stuff &/or a non-metal (fibrous or plastic) sheet good.
ed
Detailer

I had C6 427 Collector Corvette (essentially a Z06 convertible). One of my nags was the amount of heat generated in the cabin by the exhaust running through the driveshaft tunnel. Literally enough to keep coffee warm in the console-based cup holders. Not that that's a bad thing when you want coffee, but not pleasant if you like spirited summer driving, and more prominent if caught in traffic. I wondered if this was a GM oversight, or if the previous owner had removed heat shields for some reason. I was considering lining the tunnel, but ended up selling before that project started.

I assume this is not an issue with the C8.  😎

964c4
Intermediate Driver

Ugly but effective.