cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Wrenchin' Wednesday: No-drip funnel storage | Hagerty Media

Spill containment is one of the trickiest things with working on project cars, but while the big messes can be unexpected, the little ones can be prepared for. Probably one of the more common, "What do I do with this?" moments comes from handling funnels, as there's always bound to be some left-over fluids if working quickly.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/wrenchin-wednesday-no-drip-funnel-storage/
22 REPLIES 22
relton
Detailer

I bought some special funnels that connect directly into the oil fill openings on the Ford, BMW and Bentley. Makes it a lot easier to fill the engine. Then I keep each one in a sealed plastic container. Keeps dirt off the funnel, oil off anything else.
hyperv6
Technician

Better yet I bought a funnel caddy. It is a metal bracket that drains into a small bottle. It hangs on the wall and looks pretty nice.

It was not expensive too.
gpsuya
Intermediate Driver

By the looks of the inside of those funnels, I certainly wouldn't want to be pouring clean Oil thru them.
Gene_M
Intermediate Driver

I can understand using funnels that show usage, but c'mon - those are stupid dirty.
Bigdog1949
New Driver

I use some old 105 mm shell casing I have in the corner of my garage .
TrustyRusty
Intermediate Driver

That should hold about 2-3 gallons!
Minka-the-cat
New Driver

Those funnels look pretty gnarly! I’ve had the same funnel for over 30 years (drain pan too) and it doesn’t look anything like those pictured. I use paper towels during oil changes and wipe out the funnel before and after use. I’ve washed it with simple green once in a while but that’s it. It does have a patina about it but it’s clean as can be before the oil starts flowing.
ttammag
New Driver

I like this idea, but not for funnels.  I prefer to keep funnels clean.  With some modifications, this idea might be used to save the residual oil from empty oil bottles.

MoparMarq
Detailer

Same here. Since Amsoil is so pricey, I try not to waste a drop. So the oil caddy does double-duty as funnel drip collector, and just-recently-used oil bottle collector. 5 or 6 receipt points on it for differing funnel (with clear vinyl hose extension) and bottle sizes, since some of the FWD vehicles have weird transmission fill locations.
RJ
Intermediate Driver

Just to add a thought - using a clear washer fluid jug at the bottom helps prevent over-filling.
Still443
Intermediate Driver

I clean my funnels after every use. No disrespect, but no way I'd store away a funnel that looked as grungy as those.
red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

I just use a clean big-enough plastic bin with a lid, add a few clean rags in the bottom. Then you just drop the funnels in and snap the lid on. They will stay clean and drain into the rags.
By the way, did that blue funnel come from your urologists office ?
audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

Remember the cautions about oily rags... They CAN combust.
Band8one
New Driver

Pretty cool idea, however, I am more impressed by that sweet Kennedy tool box peeking its head.
OLDERbastard1
Detailer

Excellent article, even if some of the boys are ribbing you about the dirty funnels (they are pretty dirty lol). I have something similar, but mine are simply a U bolt attached to the side of 1 workbench which drains into empty clear jugs (I have two,1 for clean product & 1 for used). When full they either (as you said) go to the re-cycler or in my oil cans.
adsinger
Pit Crew

Clean 'em and stuff a paper towel in the bottom, toss em in the drain pan. Done.
SJ
Advanced Driver

I just clean them after use, store them in a clean trash bag to stay clean. New bag when needed. They are pretty drained before cleaning. Maybe a busy shop might have a use for that thing though.
MoparMarq
Detailer

And, to add, what's with the ratchet strap? Was it a temporary solution for attachment that became permanent?
OldBird
Pit Crew

Cool idea... Now can somebody share an idea for manual grease gun storage? Mine inevitably leak oil out of the "rod" end and sometimes also weep from the top (business) end, no matter what I do.
I've thought of a section of plastic gutter mounted to the wall with the guns suspended (racked) above it...
Tinkerah
Technician

Eventually after many cartridges some grease will collect behind the plunger and come out the rod hole. Periodically cleaning it out between cartridges should solve it. As for the Zerk end, anytime I need a pinch of grease to smear on anything I'll retrieve some from the coupling which always seems to be full, but never gets to drip. Hope this helps.
Tinkerah
Technician

P.S.: I also pull the plunger all the way out and latch it after every use so it's not under spring pressure all the time.
jaysalserVW
Detailer

Mr. Thomas--This is too clever for words. I sent this to a number of my buddies! Thank you for putting to an article your clever idea! jay