cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Wrenchin' Wednesday: Magnets, how do they work in the shop? | Hagerty Media

What can be said about magnets that the Insane Clown Posse hasn't? In our tools, toys, and homes, they serve as a valuable component for inducing attractive motion, and with the relatively recent proliferation of neodymium magnets, they've become dirt-cheap and widely available-especially if you scrap old computer hard drives.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/wrenchin-wednesday-magnets-how-do-they-work-in-th...
8 REPLIES 8
DrOverboost
Intermediate Driver

While working with grinders or sanders I cover the car with cheap plastic sheets and hold it on with magnets.
Funhogs
Pit Crew

When the plastic keeper broke for the prop rod on my NA Miata I slapped a rare earth magnet from an old hard drive over the hole where the keeper was.... holds it tight as ever.
brians356
Advanced Driver

I use a large variety of neodymium magnets in my shop. I get them from K&J Magnets. A great use for strong magnets is to wrap one in kitchen plastic wrap then suck up steel debris (filings, steel wool shards, etc.) from a workspace, without anything actually sticking directly to the magnet. One thing I'm a little leery of, though, is magnetizing certain tools. There are times when a screwdriver or socket sticking to a fastener is annoying and counterproductive. Other times a magnetized tool is welcome.
hyperv6
Racer

I keep a number of magnets in the shop to hold items, trays to hold parts. Large magnets to pick up the bolts I spilled etc. 

I did sacrifice my rare earth magnets to hold the hatch shut on my sons Soap Box Derby Masters Racer. 

Phil_H
New Driver

I just read this article and it stimulated an idea. I’ve had a problem with my Craftsman tool chest. There are small plastic bumps on the back that have fallen apart and it causes the draws to keep rolling out a few inches.

I had some small round super magnets and I put a stack of two of them on the backs of the drawers and they work perfect now!

There’s just enough space between the magnets and the main chest to hold it nicely in place without grabbing the chest too tightly. A longtime problem solved!
red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

I stick a nickel size neo magnet to the head of the oil pan drain plug on my cars. It will hold on to any metal in the oil, and is easily cleaned when doing oil changes.
I also have a couple vintage vehicles with the basic lap-type seat belts with metal buckles. A neo magnet in a convenient spot on the door frame, alongside the seat, will hold the seat belt buckle that usually ends up on the floor. If your door frame is covered with plastic trim, a spot of weatherstrip adhesive will hold the magnet.
Tinkerah
Engineer

As a machinist I wear eye protection as reliably as pants but there have still been occasions when some resourceful chip has found its way to an eye. If it's ferrous a magnet will pull it out quickly and effortlessly.
thetossedtool
Intermediate Driver

I am surrounded by genius! All of your ideas are amazing!