cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Wrenchin’ Wednesday: DIY slide-hammer/puller

Phillip shares a simple fix to a stubborn problem with his latest hardware store solution.

Read the full story on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/wrenchin-wednesday-diy-slide-hammer-puller/

8 REPLIES 8
knucklebusted
Intermediate Driver

MacGyver would be proud.

TomBrattin
Intermediate Driver

Great idea.  I have made many a puller by bending a hook in a rod and slide-hammering it, but never thought to use my vice-grips this way.

dykaar
New Driver
dykaar
New Driver
Krippel
Pit Crew

Interesting, very interesting. I’ll definitely try to remember this one. That nice ridge cast into the flange certainly helps here. I suppose if you were having trouble otherwise you could grind a spot for the jaws to grab, assuming you’re in full-on demolition mode. 

Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

Clever!

audiobycarmine
Instructor

The wrench mentioned in this article is called a VISE-Grip, as it is being compared to a vise. 

Your calling it a “Vice”-grip could entertain thoughts of some mechanical methodology to control our baser impulses toward wine, women and gambling. The “chastity belt” is one such example, (an attached vise would also have proven effective.) 

Gotta go, the ponies are about to start…

Tinkerah
Technician

Great catch! Though legally a generic version can be anything BUT a "Vise-Grip".