cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Wrenchin' Wednesday: Clean-cutting hole saw for silicone couplers | Hagerty Media

Dear OSHA: I am sorry. In a previous installment, I had to wrap up a HX35W swap in my 1996 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 by connecting the new turbocharger to the rest of the intake system.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/wrenchin-wednesday-clean-cutting-hole-saw-for-sil...
8 REPLIES 8
drjim
Advanced Driver

I never had to bore a hole in a silicone coupler before, but now I know how to!

Thanks for the tips.....
Hymie60
Intermediate Driver

Very clever!
JHaydon
Intermediate Driver

Brilliant!! I work for a company that sells a lot of silicone hose. You may have just helped a lot of my customers.

That method could work for other soft materials too (thin plastic, maybe even gasket material??).
N8KFE
Pit Crew

What did you use to seal the hose in the side of the hose? yea that sounds confusing ....What did you use to attach the PCV hose to the intake hose. ?
TonyT
Technician

I'm thinking that a flanged PVC fitting installed from the inside of the silicone hose would work. You would then have a tube protruding from the surface that the smaller hose could slide over and be secured with a clamp.
red-on-red
Intermediate Driver

Looks like a good idea, I bet that some light lubrication on the cut would help. It makes a huge difference when making cuts on regular rubber hose.
Swamibob
Technician

Now that's cool! It's entirely too safe, from my point of view, but really cool! Good job Phillip! My first thought would've ben to put a piece of wood inside the tube and then cut it with a really sharp carpet knife, but this uses power tools.
Again, I think it's a far too safe method and doesn't really allow the enterprising car guy the chance to cause themselves some real agony and then be able to tell the story of their stupidity over and over again, but if you're in a more results oriented mood or mode, this is excellent. Thank you Phillip.
Tinkerah
Engineer

A clever workaround, but hollow hole punches work great for this and are quicker and safer.