cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Would you pay $20M for the only street-legal "New York" vanity plate-and the Volvo attached to it? | Hagerty Media

As the proud owner of a sun-faded 1986 Volvo wagon with non-functional air-conditioning, I was properly chuffed to see this '91 wagon bid up to $5600 on Bring a Trailer this morning-and with six days to go, too. Must be the R134a conversion that's bringing the big bucks.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/would-you-pay-20m-for-the-only-street-legal-new-york-vanity-plate...
40 REPLIES 40
bradfa
Intermediate Driver

I live upstate and just this morning finally paid for new customized plates. The fees the NY DMV charge made me second guess if I really wanted to spend the money just for some plates, let alone considering spending MILLIONs of dollars! So no, I'd say not worth it for these plates or this car. But apparently digital pictures sell for like $60 million now so clearly some people have different value judgements than I. To each their own, spend your money on what makes YOU happy.
Flashman
Instructor

NFTs and $20 million licence plates. Sign o' the times.
RokemRonnie
Detailer

This is the first that I've seen someone try to sell a unique registration plate here in the States. Desireable number plates go for big money outside of the U.S. The record is more than $10 million for a Dubai plate the owner thinks is good luck.
https://drivetribe.com/p/the-most-expensive-number-plates-GrnkyRptS3G8e9GR2szWhQ
My favorite vanity plate is the Ferrari in suburban Detroit with FRUGAL plates.
Studenorton
Instructor

Remember the R&T Parting Shots further-adventures series of the Ferrari with " IXLR8 "?
ctaarman
Intermediate Driver

My favorite vanity plate story is from Connecticut. A late friend of mine worked for Pratt and Whitney Aircraft as a humble forman his entire career once he returned from WWII where he flew B26s. When vanity plates came out he applied for and got the letters PWA. When Harry Gray, the CEO of Pratt, went looking to apply for the PWA license plate with the DMV, his staff discovered it was already taken, found out it was a Pratt employer who owned it and offered my friend thousands. But, he and his wife lived modestly, and he just loved having that plate. Part of it was having people look at his car, look at him, and figure he was some P&W top brass. Ole Harry and team never got it from him. It was always good for a laugh.

As a footnote, I don't know if the estate ultimately sold the plate after his passing. But he had that plate for at least 50 years if not longer.
Studenorton
Instructor

"Thrust you can trust."
joetunick
Pit Crew

If I'm not mistaken, NY plates can only be transferred between vehicles of one owner. It's not like CA where the plates can go with the car. If the owner no longer wants to use the plate, the number goes back to the state to sell to whomever asks for it and I don't think the past owner can direct this sale. At least that's what the local DMV tells me.
FartinMartin
Pit Crew

I believe you are correct, sir. Besides, 20m for a plate?!? Good luck!
mfp4073
Intermediate Driver

In my state, used plates are not returned. They are yours if you want them. I have a box full in my garage. And dozens on the wall. You just cant use them or put them on a car legally. Lest you want a ticket from the Sheriff and a court appearance. Even so, I see outdated personal plates at car shows all the time. Removed of course when they leave the show? Well that's what they will tell you anyway.
joetunick
Pit Crew

Maybe if it said "NEW YAWK" it would be worth some $$.
Punk
Detailer

I might pay to have NYYanks. But not millions. Besides, the plate already says 'New York' on it! Now the Volvo says New York New York. I wanted the plate in my state that said E Type. Not surprised someone had it. I saw the car. It was a basket case that couldn't be driven. Had a nice plate, tho...
gerald102413
Detailer

Living in California, that is very true.

PRScott
Detailer

Really?? Someone needs to pull their head out of their fundamental orifice!
dough
Intermediate Driver

I want my 5 minutes back after having read this story. Uninteresting back story and idiotic ask.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

No.
Cheetah8
Pit Crew

The best plate I ever saw was on a new MB convertible here in California. A lady was driving it. The plate read: HE PAID
Skipe
Pit Crew

Just one word...STUPID
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

"...the only street-legal set of New York license plates that actually read [sic] NEW YORK."

Excuse me, but EVERY set of New York license plate readS (you need that s, because the word "set" is single in number and requires a singular predicate) "New York:" it's right there, dead center, in block caps, at the top of the tag. The vanity part is redundant.

In any case--as others have already pointed out--the seller cannot (and you can verify this on the NY DMV web site) transfer his plates to a vehicle he does not own.

Which makes this whole article pretty silly.

LamboEd
Intermediate Driver

CARZY! For me a license plate that says NEW YORK would devalue the vehicle! LOL
RickL
Intermediate Driver

What? Maybe Andrew C. would be interested in buying it. I used to have a NY plate many,many years ago, CA too, but now down here in the south, I started to see a lot of them from both states..
1stGenCamaros
Pit Crew

I saw a plate on a Muscle Car back in the 80's. Read ILBCNU
JCC001
New Driver

My favorite plate i have ever seen was on a Trans Am back in the 80's, driven by a young lady: RUEZIM. Must've been true i guess!
chgochuck
New Driver

Or add the buyer to the title then later take your name off the title?
Walvoords
New Driver

I looked all over BAT and can’t find it.
OldCarMan
Instructor

In MI you can renew the same plate for 3 years and then it goes back in the pool. Seems more fair!
This is just click bait for a boring-ass car and article!
DT
Advanced Driver

Maybe you shouldn't waste your time reading the articles and then you wouldn't have to waste even more time complaining about them ???
SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

Me being the poster boy for "not a Volvo person", I won't comment on the worth of the Volvo, though 20 mil is definitely way out there. And more than 5 bucks for a "New York" plate that already says New York right on it feels like a waste of money. It's like paying extra money for a plate that says "Chevy" to put on your... Chevy.
Rider79
Instructor

Gotta be a gag.
HELIDR
Intermediate Driver

I'm very fortunate to own a 1983 Ferrari BB512i since 1986. Had various "vanity" plates on it for a few years, but just kept checking. Finally got a plate with BOXER on it, which I still have to date.
One day many years ago, I was coming out of a market. A couple were looking at my car. As I approached...one of them said..."We were wondering who the boxer was".
I gave them a shaky-kind of head and said..."Wha...wha..wha do you mean?" True story... :))))
DT
Advanced Driver

So you think everyone in the world knows what a Ferrari Boxer is? That must hurt your ego quite a bit ??
TG
Instructor

Nearby Delaware has an equally ridiculous fad with low numbered plates (e.g.1). It would not surprise me.
Eric2
Intermediate Driver

From the top picture, I'd say the owner wants to get himself a new plane or personal jet? I'd rather spend $20 mil on a 20-25 room estate built in the shape of New York State! lol
Dave404
Detailer

The front plate appears to be bent. I'm offering 15 million.
ConfuciusRacing
Detailer

I once sold a set of Ca plates "TR 512", I had the #3 1985 Flying Mirror car brought into the US Market..., no, It wasn't red. I sold the car to a fella in New Zealand...I didn't get $20mil but the buyer was pretty happy to get them...I recall about $1000.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

Who doesn't enjoy a good vanity plate? Here in VA the vanity plate market is very strong - unlike other states that have high fees for specialty plates, it is like $25 here, and you see some good ones. The ones that are funniest to me are the ones where somebody put something possibly crass or inappropriate cleverly spelled backwards, so when they drive up on you from behind you see the plate in the rear view mirror and wonder how the heck they got away with it lol
wdb
Detailer

I inherited L8R G8R from my dad when he passed recently. Cost me a few twenties and the usual dose of DMV hassle. I like it way much better than NEW YORK. So no, not worth $20M to me.
Olds34dude
Pit Crew

My wife’s a witch, I got her HERBRM
I know of one here in Florida, divorced woman whose married name was Dunn, she got UNDUNN, the most surprising, a friend in Maine sent me a picture, a pickup in front of her, tag was F*CKAH (Maine accent) yes, the U was there. She called the Secretary of State to inquire and was told that the only thing required was that the tag does not incite violence! And, here in Florida I remember an Italian couple a few years ago who got 2WOPS, someone complained and the state took it away!
carguyjim
Detailer

SILLY... no WONDER folks hate us.... I pay $25 a year for personal plates
normlr
New Driver

All counties in NY have county plates, usually reserved for certain people of some standing in the county. They have been in existence since the 30's. Example: Montgomery county plates began with MY or MT, Saratoga county began with SP or SA. I lived in Fulton county where the plates began with FC or FU. I swear there is an old lady that drives around in a Caddy with the coveted FU 2 plate on her car.... And one other vanity story. A person l know has plate # 370455V. Upside down it's axxhole in NYS plate font.
SAG
Detailer

? _ I.D.O.I.T