cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Woodward Dream Cruise president is losing sleep, but not hope

Michael Lary hasn’t been getting a lot of sleep lately. Not since the president of the Woodward Dream Cruise announced last week that Detroit’s iconic collector car event is still planned for August 15, even as dozens of major summer events across the country have been canceled.

Lary says some mistook his announcement as careless—or worse, defiant—in the face of the current COVID-19 health crisis. That couldn’t be further from the truth. In an exclusive interview with Hagerty, Lary says canceling the event would be a hasty decision.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/woodward-dream-cruise-president-is-losing-sleep-but-not-hope/

Replies (16)

Replies (16)

Mr. Lary,

More power to you and your team and the decisions you are up against. Personally I support your way of thinking, as this is May and the Cruise/Show is in August. I think there's way to many events being cancelled way to far in advance. Seems to me some organizers may be looking at COVID-19 as being a way out of dealing with their event that they don't really have their whole hearts into, whether there's a virus or just an average year. I don't see car shows as being any different than Walmart's being open and 10 people all walking down the same isle towards you. Except I like what I'm looking at during a car show and not necessary what I have to look at in Walmart.

New Driver

This is a sane way to look at things.   Life needs to continue.  Whether we lock ourselves into our houses or whether we get out and about --people still are going to sicken--and, unfortunately, some will die.    It's this way every Flu Season and I imagine no matter what we do, life will be about the same

Pit Crew

Seems like a good call. They will cancel if things don't improve by the first of June. I'm sure attendance will be down, but as noted -- you're distanced by being in a car. It noted that spectators would be an issue though, and that is a concern. Let the communities control that. The big concern is people shopping and getting things to eat, and staying in hotels though. I suspect that if I were close enough to go cruise a bit then return home all in the same day, I might participate. It's a long haul for me, and I have other shows I'd be more interested in driving a long distance to, so I wouldn't be going anyway. I'm not planning on attending any big events this summer because of the situation, maybe a local cruise-in late in the summer/early fall. I'm not the only one, but people need to make their own choices -- as long as things have cooled down. Remember, just a few people traveling from China before this was known to be an issue spread it all over the world...

Intermediate Driver

Mr. Lary, I hope you have that Dream Cruise and that 100,000 cruiser show up to drive down Woodward Ave. I hope you raise a lot of money too. Maybe to find a real cure for this virus. I hope American Flags will be floating in the breeze of every cruisers time machine conveying our resolve to be free. God, would that I could be there. Maybe someday. Until then, good luck to you sir, and don't let them take away your rights to free choice, lest you be slaves to tyranny. 

Intermediate Driver

Thank you for planning to continue.  We are not children and we can protect ourselves.  Last time I checked, it was easy to do social distancing in a car, assuming you aren't picking up non co-quarantine folks.  Wash your hands and don't stick your fingers where they don't belong and you will fine. If you are over 80 or have comorbidity stay at home.  Or I wasted a lot of money on a medical education

Passenger

Reading the responses here will help me make up my mind. The uninformed, reckless and ignorant comments about “nazi decrees” and its “nothing more than the flu” will cause me to stay home. Good luck, Mr. Lary.

Passenger

Good for him! I think it’s good to wait and see. 

Passenger

Well, they don't have to attend the event.  Too bad some folks are just sheep waiting to be sheared and then they automatically go negative.   This shutdown is going to turn out to be a monumental blunder.   Instead of trusting us to protect ourselves, our families and businesses most "Guvments" blasted out draconian one size fits all lockdowns across the board instead of reasonable and measured restrictions that protected both the health and financial viability of their constituents.   The handfull that didn't are doing fine and even in California, the folks of all political persuasions are fed up with the Nazi decrees.   It will be interesting.   I am in California and would love to attend!

Good luck.

New Driver

Some people seem to want some sort of guarantee of safety in order to return to life, and it simply doesn't exist. Never has. Never will. The restrictions and social distancing have accomplished their goal of flattening the curve, and now it's time to put our big boy pants on and assume a reasonable amount of risk in order to return to the lives we love. For a virus that is essentially another wave of the flu and has a fatality rate of less than one percent (and let's be clear every life lost is precious), I'm ready to take on that risk.

New Driver

Thank You Larry;

I'm glad you don't have the mindset that our latest governor has. People need to have things to look forward to. Take that away and there will be trouble in the streets!!!

Passenger

Wait and see - what a Novell way to look at things. If COVID-19 is going to be around for a couple of years we better find a way to live with it or we will all go nuts holed up in the house, besides the ‘so called experts’ Have said warm weather and high humidity kill the virus. Welllll perfect august in Michigan !!!!!!!!

RJR

Passenger

Glad to hear someone with enough sense to wait a while, and see what develops.  Too many people, and organizations, are cancelling things in a knee-jerk manner, without waiting to see if cancellation will be needed.  Of course, a certain amount of time is needed to organize and put on an event, but many things are being cancelled long before that necessary go/no-go date is reached.

Intermediate Driver

I grew up near Ferndale  between Livernois and Woodward.   I remember biking to Ferndale to visit a basement hobby shop run as a sideline by Mr. Ed Lutz and his wife.   I do not believe he was related to the auto executive though.  Back them all those dream cruise cars were just common place cars more or less.

New Driver

Well spoken and thought out.  Wait & see makes sense! Gentlemen...start your engines!

New Driver

Nice write-up, Jeff. Fingers crossed!

Hagerty Employee

Hey, if anybody has an old plane ticket to Detroit, just give me a call.