cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Without Toby Halicki, 2000’s “Gone in 60 Seconds” was always doomed to disappoint

Movie remakes are, to put it mildly, a controversial enterprise. While there’s always a sense of duty to repackage old tales into contemporary packages, we’ve all noticed a unique phenomenon in film where a relatively fresh story will be “remade” just a few decades after the original picture. The problem with this approach and unlike, say, Disney reformatting centuries-old story books into motion pictures, is that it creates a certain expectation of what the final result should look like.

The 2000 version Gone in 60 Seconds drew ire from die-hard fans of the original film, which was something of a cinematic marvel when it was released in 1974. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/toby-halicki-2000-gone-in-60-seconds-disappoint-diehards... 

Replies (21)

Replies (21)

What a great article. I never knew there was an original. I don't bother to read most articles all the way threw but, I found this fascinating and can't wait to track down the films to see for myself. Thanks for the great read!!

Passenger

The original with the original sound is the best.  There is a digital remastered version that can be streamed but the sound has been replaced.  Not for the better.  The genuine engine sounds and the twangy music was character to the original movie.  Those are gone in the remastered version.

Passenger

I never knew there was an “original”.

The Nick Cage version is not Oscar worthy, but is not bad. I watched the original version after reading this article; I’ll take the reboot any day! But to each his own! 

I did enjoy the article! 

Thanks for the enlightenment!

New Driver

I usually fast forward to the chase as the plot offers little set up anyway, but I rather prefer the original film.

Intermediate Driver

A car chase movie without real metal carnage? The penultimate jump scene in the reboot actually pissed me off. “Crappy CGI!”, I said out loud. Save it for sci-fi.

Yeah, I’m old...

Passenger

I saw Gone in 60 seconds in Denver when it first came out. It was an incredible chase sene. I have the original movie on a VHS tape. In its’ day the movie was action packed. In todays world the acting was poor and the plot was weak. It had one of the longest chase scenes. The original Gone in 60 Seconds and Vanishing Point are true classics of their era.

New Driver

I always enjoy reading about the behind the scenes events that produce things which have a cultural impact. I saw the original movie in the theater, and upon leaving, it seemed that almost everyone had to burn a little rubber leaving!  I've seen it several times since, and always enjoy watching it. I saw the re-make and was not impressed. Anytime that I see the title listed in a TV guide, I always check to see if (hoping that) the original is going to be shown, only to be disappointed. No one could re-create the "genius" of Toby Haliicki! 🙂

Pit Crew

This is a great film. when I told people the original Eleanor was a 1973 mustang mach 1. nobody believed me.

Eleanor wasnt a Mach 1. It was 2 School Bus Yellow 1971 Ford Mustang Sports Roofs with 1973 Grilles. The Stunt Car had Standard interior but Deluxe Seats from the Beauty Car which had the Deluxe Interior

Passenger

I've wondered for awhile if the modern "Eleanors" would be such a resale thing if they had used a 1973 (last of the Mustangs... as per original movie) in the remake.

Detailer

1 Baker 11 was a 1970 Mercury Montego, not a Gran Torino.  I have a 70 4 door Montego in the same Gold color with the same cop style hub caps.  

Passenger

We’ve watched this movie so many times and for so many years that quite a few phrases have entered our family’s lexicon.

”Nag Wohman” when the drunk needs to let his dog out.

When we’ve misplaced something we jokingly claim it’s been stolen.  “I hope it was Atlee”

And of course, my favorite, when we’re about to clean something...

”Just wash it...”

Passenger

My best friend's dad bought him a '73 Mach 1 in 1987 when we were 15. We found Gone in 60 in a movie rental store by accident. The first time we watched it was like an out of body experience. Bullitt was like kindergarten compared to Halicki. The use of camera angles and sirens was mesmerizing to the underdeveloped male teenage brain. It may not be the favorite to everyone, but to me it will always be the best car chase in cinematic history, if for no other reasons than the duration and absolute carnage. And of course Johnny and his pot smoking crew...

Passenger

I've also read that he yelled for his wife to "watch out, Denise!" when the pole was coming down only to fall on him instead.
Denise then married someone near him, like his lawyer.

New Driver

When Toby had the movie shown in Dunkirk, he staged a chase an wreck in front of the Regent Theater, on Third Street, in Dunkirk,

his brother Frank gave out free tickets to see the show.  DJP

New Driver

Our radio station in Greensboro, NC co-promoted the showing of the original "Gone in 60 Seconds." Toby Halicki was there for on-air interviews and meet-and-greets at the theater. He also issued a challenge to anyone that would bring a street legal vehicle that he couldn't unlock within 60 seconds. No one won the big prize, although a foreign truck took him :58 seconds. A master of the dramatic, he was an awesome dude.

Navigator

Great reading. I saw Gone in 60 seconds the day it was released and have enjoyed watching it many times. I actually flew RC Planes with the Birds RC club so it also meant a lot to see my friends in the movie. Thanks for the story. **bleep** Russ

Passenger

I learned about these films at a local Junk Yard that had and still has a poster for Junk Man hanging on the wall. In an ironic twist the owner's brother actually writes for film.  I found both Gone in 60 seconds and The Junk Man interesting, but no better or worse than Ron Howard's Grand Theft Auto or the movie Used Cars that came out around the same time. Good for a couple of hours of fun.

Intermediate Driver

it was boring

New Driver

it was boring

New Driver

Fascinating read Phillip! Autuers like Halicki are certainly a breed of their own.

Hagerty Employee