cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff
Hagerty Employee

With these 4 mid-century classics, it’s what’s on the inside that counts

Automotive design is a lot like fashion. Both reflect the zeitgeist of their times, and both rely on metaphoric sleight of hand to fool the eye in regards to proportion. Let’s be honest, though; most of our time is spent inside a car, driving around from point A to point B. So why do we enthusiasts often lack consideration for a car’s interior?

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: 

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/4-mid-century-classics-inside-that-counts/

62 REPLIES 62
onteo
Pit Crew

And let's not forget the Gremlin "Levi Edition"

MadMac
Pit Crew

Chrysler push button transmissions, instrument domes and rectangular steering wheels.

On a different note, it's really hard to find good naugahyde upholstery these days,

now that naugas are an endangered species.

Musclebrose97
New Driver

My dad has a 70 Ford LTD Brougham 4 dr. sedan. It has an immaculate, all original interior that is very similar to the 66 comet caliente shown here. So comfortable and luxurious. Except no power windows. 

SteveL
Passenger

How could anyone discuss the Beautiful Interiors of many classics without mentioning the top of line 65 T-Bird Landau. I owned this Beauty in the late 70's with White Vinyl buckets and wrapped around Rear seat with Vertical 1 inch Stitching all trimmed in chrome.  The simulated wood grain dash with every Bell and whistle imaginable in chrome .......... I know it had many a competitor in this category...... But this one truly stood alone.   

Diego
Detailer

The story was not about beautiful interiors. The first two paragraphs frame what the story was about.

Thanks for your interest!

ragtopnut
New Driver

60 buick invicta wins this beauty test, 2nd the Chrysler. 

cole
Passenger

64 Gran Prix for the console vacuum gauge that looks tach-ish and rear speaker.

62 T-Bird for the steering wheel, curvaceous dash, and console.  

65 Corvair Corsa for the gauge array and optional telescoping steering wheel. 

JSievers
Advanced Driver

The first car I remember our family having was a 56 Chevrolet 210 Delray. As I recall it had better looking cloth upholstery compared to the 55s. It also had a 265 Power Pack V8, three on the tree and overdrive, which made it a pretty good performing car in its day. We took many long distance trips with my parents, us four kids and no seat belts. It was a different time, and I still look for an identical car every time I attend a collector auction.

acooper529
Intermediate Driver

IMO... The 1958 Chevy interiors were some of the best ever. I had a few plain Janes but the Impala was some of the best design work ever... inside and out. Look at a full blown Impala (maybe w/continental kit?) up close and personal at a car show some time. It is simply beautiful and still remains my favorite of all time. The grill seems to say "I'm happy to see you" and never gets old. 

Too bad they apparently had not even thought about corrosion in the 50"s or 60"s.

AngryBird
New Driver

The 1964 Thunderbird's interior with its airplane cockpit and wrap around rear seat and fold down arm rest are particularly unique amongst 60's vehicles IMH opinion.

Birdie8
New Driver

I recall the cars of the 50's had a plastic see through cover on the upholstery that usually turned brown after years of use.. 

Zephyr
Instructor

That was an aftermarket item sold by one of those Spencer House type catalog outfits. Really was some ugly stuff. To get custom upholstery back in the 50's you drove down to Tijuana and went to one of the many shops there that specialized in one-off upholstery jobs. "Tuck and roll" was a top seller.
hsano6294
Passenger

I owned a 1968 Montego MX. I bought it from the original owner, a non-blood uncle, around 1986. I didn't realize it was a first-year model. I enjoyed driving it for a few years, until the engine finally gave out.