cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Will these 6 used cars be bonafide collectibles?

As enthusiasts, we're always on the lookout for interesting vehicles to add to our stable. Often, that means sifting through the chaff of average sedans and crossovers for the standout variant that engineers and designers put extra effort into. Such vehicles tend to target a niche of enthusiasts, which means volume was either limited or sales were simply low.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/valuation/will-these-6-used-cars-be-bonafide-collectibles/
134 REPLIES 134
MGBMan
New Driver

2016 Cadillac ELR… 528 made. Pretty low volume for a modern car from GM.
F360Spider
Detailer

And... voted one of the worst cars ever made.
Autostocks
Intermediate Driver

By whom?
hyperv6
Gearhead

The only one of the above to hold much demand will be the Colorado Diesel. It is a very popular model and once it goes away people will work to find them. Supplies will drop but demand will rise.

The Lexus is just another sport sedan that can be bought cheap.

The 370 Z is already forgotten.

The Fiat is just a Miata with issues.
The Alfa is a car Alfa people will like but it is very anonyms to most American buyers. My friend has one and few people know what it is.

Polestar again another cult car to a small group.

Times have changed and people are just not as much into cars as lifestyle vehicles. Hence trucks and jeeps with oddly high resale value. That is just where the market is.

ELR is rare but is there any real demand? Not really.
Fastrag
New Driver

Well said, and who can afford most of these vehicles anyway as investments?

WAB
Intermediate Driver

Have to agree..........I would have no interest in any of the other vehicles.
Huntz-Hall
Pit Crew

Yup, WAB & hyperv6 are spot on in their thinking, I agree.
GomBoo
Pit Crew

Not sure... But I doubt if I'll be around if they should become  "collectible".

But, you never can be sure nowadays anything petrol powered maybe become collectible. It's the petrol that will become scarce.

TClar88
Pit Crew

Only the Alfa 4C will be a good investment and they already show it with Bring-a-Trailer
(BaT) prices rising and a nice lo-mile late model used one going for close on the original MSRP. Rarity, exotic brand, all carbon, very fast and mid-engine add up to rising prices now that there are no more new ones!
L-88
Pit Crew

I think you are on to something with the Colorado, but not the one you chose. I think it's the 2009-2012 with the 5.3L V-8. Price has remained very high, highly sought after, seldom found. I spent 2 years looking for one with 2WD, extremely rare.
hyperv6
Gearhead

The v8’s are rare as no one wanted them new. Very few were sold back in the day.

The new V6 is more powerful and faster in a better platform. The old V8 is a niche model at best.
L-88
Pit Crew

Problem with your "better platform" is the size. Size matters! In the case of the platform you relate to, it's too big. There are a large number of buyers that don't want the big truck. "Faster," I disagree.
JGeske
Intermediate Driver

Precisely! The "mid-size" trucks right now are literally the size of late 90s half-tons and nearly as capable. Small trucks have gone away (until Ford and Hyundai brought them back).

Look at the early Colorado parked next to a current one, the new one absolutely dwarfs the early models. I mean, here are the numbers of a 2006 Colorado Crew vs a 2021: Length 207in vs 212in, Width 68" vs 74in, Height 65" vs 70", Curb Weight 3722lbs vs 4488lbs. So we are 5" longer, 6" wider, and 5" taller, while 766lbs fatter. I can more easily park, go down trails, etc in the more reasonably sized early Colorado's. Dimensionally, the early Colorado is almost identical to the last S10 Crew Cab, just with a longer bed, which accounts for almost the entire difference in length between the 06 Colorado and 04 S10 Crew.
mpzz
Detailer

What? The V6 doesn't compare to any version of the 5.3!
JRJones
Intermediate Driver

It is no coincidence the Colorado is dimensionally the same as a 2000-2006 Tundra. Toyota offered a V6 and regular cab, and eventually a 4dr that was popular, but the extra cab V8 seems to be the volume leader. "Real" truck people disparaged the Tundra as 3/4 scale.
I have had two to advanced mileage.
AB
New Driver

My Mechanic had me hunt down a 2005 Silverado to get a better transmission. It was a long hunt but with 8 ft bed (which I have to have,) and 5.3 L V8, mileage isn't bad and I'm happy I hunted.
Daves1800
Pit Crew

Hmmm... The "twin" to my '16 GMC Canyon diesel. I wonder which is the lower production version? Personally I think made a good choice in replacing my Dieselgate VW Jetta. I regularly get 32-34 mpg highway and 21-23 mph hauling my '72 & '73 collectables.
hearsedriver
Intermediate Driver

any early generation diesel Dodge 4x4. they go for big bucks now in any condition, if you can find them. no computers and none of that stupid fluid into the exhaust. i listened to a high revving diesel 5 ton truck sitting at my local landfill, driver advised me that the truck was "resetting" and purging the exhaust and it would take over an hour every time it was needed. while doing this, of course, the truck could not be used, and all i could think of is how much fuel is being wasted during this process. some idiot engineer / epa clown thinks this helps the environment.......
Spuds
Advanced Driver

I agree on that diesel Dodge 4x4.
N8IWS
New Driver

No way are any of these throw-away cars a future classic.
F360Spider
Detailer

Call me a cynic but when would a massively produced diesel pickup have any collector value?

Four door cars are rarely anything but fodder for the recyclers. They don't get collected, not even AMG's. They are used and discarded.

I'll give the Fiat 124 and the Alpha some kudos because they are actual limited edition sports cars.
Healey3000
New Driver

Not sure why the BMW Z4 coupe is always overlooked. The 3.0 motor was one of BMW’s best 6 cylinders and when the coupe was equipped with the manual I believe only 820 something were produced for the American market.
Hidyharve
New Driver

I agree the Z4 will be a collectible,  It already is, if you are looking for the convertible Z4M with 6-spd manual and 330 HP like my 2006 (red)2006 BMW Z4-M2006 BMW Z4-M  

Beavis
New Driver

He was talking about the coupes, which are significantly more rare than the convertibles.
wdb
Detailer

Z4 3.0si coupe w/manual numbered 818 total in North American markets. Prices are already reflecting that, coming close to Z4M coupe numbers. The 3.0si is a sweet piece, really only needing a LSD (some would say hydraulic PS also) to be a great one.
RagtopJunkie
Pit Crew

I think the Mini Cooper S Convertible will some day make the list. I have a 2006, and it's surprisingly fast, and handles like a go-cart.
Rsk
New Driver

I believe the diesel Colorado is a good pick, along with the diesel Mercedes GLK250. Others that come to mind are the Chevy SSR pickup with the LS2/manual and the Porsche Carrera t (already selling for msrp or more with the right spec at dealers)
Longbranch
Intermediate Driver

The 4C is already a collectible. Check out that 4C’s are going for more money than new in some cases. Low mileage, or early production cars are commanding big $$$. See Bring a Trailer for the not exactly used prices on the cars.
Lightning1
Detailer

A Lexus 4 door that looks like a big jelly bean and a Volvo 4 door? I don’t think so! Alfa may have a cult following. Fiat, maybe. Any truck is an easy pick, especially if it’s a little different.
ke4lxk
New Driver

82 yota 4x4 pickup 22r
DMcC
Intermediate Driver

--- and very hard to find (except well modified and probably done for 4x4s).
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Agree! The toyo truck 4x4 are GREAT trucks!
DUB6
Technician

Yup, agree with @ke4lxk and @Spuds .  I've had 5 of them ('83, '86 & '95 pickups, and currently an '04 4Runner) and my daughter had a '97 4Runner as well - they all have been good runners.  A little light weight (in SR5 form, not a bigger Tacoma) for my ranch needs, so I've always had a larger truck as well, but for off-roading (like hunting trips) and general running around.  The engines just flat run forever, transmissions shift nicely, and I've NEVER had a 4WD failure of any kind.

SNK
New Driver

Sort of agree w the poster who said that mass produced non-sports cars rarely become collectors items, but still want to put in a highly-biased plug (I own one) for the B7 (2007-8) Audi RS4. Naturally aspirated V8 making 100hp/l, relatively small production run of about 2K, brakes from Lamborghini etc, etc. so far all they’ve done is hold their value well (high-mileage but mechanically sound ones sell for about $35K on BaT), but I think they may soon start appreciating
442xcar
Pit Crew

No Kia's?
23tbucket
New Driver

Funny...
Wallymac
New Driver

None are on my must have list.
tahend
Detailer

4 doors and a pickup truck??? Sounds more like a country song, not a collectible car.
DUB6
Technician

I have no idea if the 124 Abarth will become a collectable - but I know I that want one.  There are obvious styling cues still there from the old Pinnifarina Fiat Spider 2000 I had back in the '80's (and which I still miss).  And if, as indicated, the Abarth competes well in performance measures with the Miata, I think it'd be a blast.

RACN33
New Driver

Why have you continually avoided mentioning the 2005 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6. Less than 3000 units were produced worldwide, was built on the MB AMG platform with a 3.2 supercharged V6 producing almost 350hp, and available in both a coupe and roadster cconfiguration. Recent sales are approaching $25-30,000 range
janedon
Intermediate Driver

Anything Rare becomes valuable --Expensive vehicles --limited production--& the like--They don't have to be of good quality /look good ect--they just become collectors items because there are fewer left--everything becomes a collectors item sooner or later-
Beavis
New Driver

That's not true- rarity alone does not make anything valuable. If that were true, cars like 90s Taurus SHO's, Chrysler TC's, and diesel Chevettes would be sought-after collectibles. And even cool and relatively rare cars like the Porsche 928 and 968 aren't particularly valuable. https://insider.hagerty.com/trends/does-limited-production-equal-a-higher-value/
Truthworldwide
Intermediate Driver

The SHO and 968 deserve better.
KaaceyK9
New Driver

Check out Mercedes Benz R129 Models - these are SL convertibles - I believe these could be or should be Collectors too!
drhino
Instructor

To someone, each of these will be “collectible”. Everyone has their reasons. Anything with a manual brings interest and a premium. In fact, if the 4C would have been made with a manual; there would be one in my garage.
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

The Polestar is the last of the line for Volvo and will be a very rare collector car, but not big money. The Alfa should have had a high rev manual shift V6 and it would be a classic, but it doesn't. With the rest you're just going to get a lot of value for the money, which doesn't translate to big collector value. The Lexus will be a lot of value for money very soon if you can stomach the looks.
UncleWillie
Pit Crew

NO
Truthworldwide
Intermediate Driver

lol
SLAVENDER
Intermediate Driver

2005-2008 Acura RL. About 5000 made per year, this car was a test bed for every feature and tech Honda could imagine. SHAWD, carbon fiber driveshafts, HID headlights that turn with steering input and more. Although 09 and 10 were mechanically similar, Honda ruined the styling by adding the notorious beaks.