cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Will these 6 used cars be bonafide collectibles?

As enthusiasts, we're always on the lookout for interesting vehicles to add to our stable. Often, that means sifting through the chaff of average sedans and crossovers for the standout variant that engineers and designers put extra effort into. Such vehicles tend to target a niche of enthusiasts, which means volume was either limited or sales were simply low.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/valuation/will-these-6-used-cars-be-bonafide-collectibles/
134 REPLIES 134
DUB6
Technician

Yeah, I got your point(s):

1) you believe that your experience tops mine in numbers, so you win, even though I'm living proof that your all-encompassing statement is false

2) you are a man of absolutes, and your superior experiences give you the right to demean others, and to "guarantee" things of which you have no proof, just your opinions (like I said, it takes all kinds...)

And after that, I must say that I'm through discussing any of this with you, because you'll never concede anything at all, and I'm not going to ever agree with your absolutism, so we just agree to disagree...

Reinhold_Weege
Advanced Driver

I can also say this; being "directly connected" to the Fiat-Chrysler experience... Most of what he's written was wrong there as well.
Spuds
Advanced Driver

That Cummins diesel in the Nissan Titan is a disaster,Nissan couldnt drop it fast enough.My nephews truck has been a dealer garage king months at a time.Nissan has zero interest in fixing them either.Good power tho....
Zephyr
Instructor

I bought a 1970 Fiat 850 Spyder brand new, and my experience was just the opposite of Dub6's. Within the first year or so the distributer cap, starter motor, carburetor and a few other items failed. The convertible top also ripped itself to pieces. If I turned on the heater the headlight fuse blew out. The weld holding the window crank flange on broke on both doors. The clutch wore out at 22,000 miles. There was more I'm sure but I can't remember all of it. Then there was the fact that I couldn't do oil changes myself because the oil drain bolt was an odd-sized allen head that Snap-on told me would have to be custom-made, at a high cost.
Razz
New Driver

If you want a collectable.. This is the one:
BobbyShoe4
Intermediate Driver

You guys were doing fine until you listed the fwd heavy Volvo V/S60 and Chevy Colorado diesel.
AnthonyCiolli
New Driver

I have a 2016 Colorado ZR2 package all black, 3.6 motor, 9',800 miles, never offroaded yet, I have had Silverado's, G20 vans, Blazers, but I like this truck, size wise, interior comfort, performance, and it gets a lot of looks,,,,,,
elko67
Pit Crew

I have a 2017 'Shore Line' edition Colorado V6 cool front end and extra stuff that very few people know about, not a 4X4 (that I don't need), It has locking rear end and I put Z71 tires and wheels on for extra traction for soft traction. It all works for   me- 2 plus 2 kind of coupe- not a 4 door. The long bed is better and looks better to  me also, I like it no matter whats it's worth, no 4 doors or Diesel's are collectable to  me at all.           

hyperv6
Gearhead

Let’s clarify something here. Every car is collectible. I have seen people collect some of the oddest makes.

This should be better clarified as what will be popular to collect and increase in value.

The Alfa will not be thrown away but so few were shipped here it is not likely many will see one. So yes it will be collected but it may never see much demand due to so few being around.
PurelyPMD
Intermediate Driver

10-15 years after production is when/where you determine if a car/truck has a following strong enough to pick up for a collectable and usually where the value is at it's bottom. Buying a relatively new car and storing it for that time waiting for it to appreciate again is poor financial sense.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

When did we advise buying these and storing them.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

Sure, people have to get eyeballs on these stories, but let's be clear - the lexus was NEVER an M5 contender. That is just ridiculous. The only space it has anything in common with an M5 is the price. As for the volvo, weird car, chinese crap. The alfa - no idea why a miata-knock off would be in demand, especially with spotty quality issues and a steeper price tag. Let's not equate poor sales numbers with future collectability.
Autostocks
Intermediate Driver

The Alfa has nothing to do with a Miata. You're confusing it with the Spider Abarth. The Spider has a unique drivetrain and different handling characteristics. And while it doesn't have "spotty quality issues," even if it did, that wouldn't keep it from becoming collectible (unless you are saying Jaguars aren't collectible).
OHCOddball
Detailer

A collector car is whatever anyone wants it to be. In years past, people only wanted to collect braas era cars, then pre-1933 cars and ignored fat fenders. Then it moved to pre-WW II, then 1950's, 60's on up. Some only wanted two door cars. Buy whatever thrills you, whether it is a 72 four door Datsun 510 a 69 Camaro, a station wagon, pick-up or some exotic supercar. have fun with it and don't worry about the perceived future investment value.
elko67
Pit Crew

A station wagon-, like a '56 Chevy 'Nomad' that I have? And kind of truck like '67 El Camino?

DUB6
Technician

@elko67 , I'm pretty sure that your Nomad is already a bona fide collectable, so no worries there (or at least, it sure as heck is in MY book, as it's my #1 or #2 favorite of all time).  The El Camino?  Well there are a few more of them around (I just saw a decent '67 for sale locally within the last month, and I know where there are a couple of project-level examples), so they are not yet "rare", but the '67 Chevelle in general is a very popular car, and Elko's are too, so if a '67 El Camino isn't yet REALLY collectable, it's certainly darned close.

And if your question is, "are your cars 'whatever thrills you'"?  I'm pretty much gonna throw out my vote that the answer should be, "Yep - both of them do!"

GreatAukSi
Pit Crew

Despite the fact that it was a terrible car new, the Alfa 4C likely will be collectible with owner and fans ignoring its noise, sloppy handling, bruising ride and all around lack of entertainment.
Autostocks
Intermediate Driver

I've never driven one, but Car and Driver called the handling "razor sharp," and I've never read or seen a review that didn't say the car is a blast to drive.
Autostocks
Intermediate Driver

The Canyon/Colorado is not "the only diesel in the mid-size pickup segment in the U.S. and Canada," as evidenced by my Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel.
Ajakeski
Intermediate Driver

That is the most random list of cars…Why?
Hodag
Pit Crew

What about American versions too........
jamyers63
New Driver

Meh. The only modern cars that will be 'collectible' are ones like the Corvette, which already has a fanbase that will collect anything with the logo on it.

Otherwise, they're all too complicated, too expensive to repair, and in 20 years will be impossible to get parts for.
DUB6
Technician

This one got a smile out of me.  I've never been a huge Corvette guy - I mean they are - in general - neat cars, but they just never grabbed me too hard.  Maybe I was just jealous?  But the comment about 'Vetties collecting "anything with the logo on it" is just so true that it made me giggle.  I am friends with a few hardcore owners, and it is amusing to see how many logo-items they can sport in clothing, badges, buttons, pins - and even the soles of tennis shoes (yes, I saw some once, years ago).

Now I'm saying all of this in good fun, Vetties, so please don't get all defensive.  You are to be commended for your loyalty to your cars, and I will admit that I've got a Pontiac key ring, several t-shirts, and 2 GTO metal signs hanging in the shop office, so I've got a few 'warts' as well.  But the comment does ring true and a bit humorous, does it not?  😃

RichZ
Pit Crew

2014 Corvette "Deluxe Addition" (500 made) Blue with Carbon Flash hood and LT3 interior with like every option - Realllllly nice Vette!
Bandit-1
New Driver

Might be a sleeper, made for only two years. The 2018-2019 Buick Regal GS. Buick's not building cars anymore. Good looking car in my opinion. You just never know.
Genstuff17
New Driver

Nice to see a truck in the list. Unfortunately, unless someone proactively does some frame prep, the truck may note survive in the collectible world like say - an old Bronco does today.

I own a Colorado Z71, 2004, v5, gas. It has 240,000, looks like new, still gets 25+ MPG, original exhaust, radiator, water pump, suspension...all the stuff that usually goes. However, it is in the shop right now because of excessive frame rot. Just like the Toyota Tacoma, but GM has no solution and offering no help..

Hope my guys can fix it or it will be the best looking one in the junk yard.

So if you own one of these rare diesels, check your frame, drivers side, at the seam between the cab and the bed. - Good luck
DUB6
Technician

@Genstuff17 - I'm not a Colorado owner, and likely never will be, but I'd like to extend a "thank you" for offering up a bit of helpful advice to people who do have one.  Frame inspections are things that a bunch of potential buyers and most owners don't really do as much as they should.  A lot of the time, it's simply because of the lack of a hoist.  But mainly, I think it's just a case of "out of sight, out of mind".

I have no idea if your situation is unique, or wide-spread across thousands of vehicles - but it ain't gonna hurt anybody to just take a few minutes to check it out.

Tips like yours are one of the value-adds that being a member of these forums gets us treated to.  And one never knows: what seems like just a rant about one particular sore spot could reveal an endemic problem that MANY owners need to be made aware of.

Gary_Bechtold
Technician

The GS F was on my short list of cars (used) I was looking at. If it wasn't for the 2022 IS 500 happening I might have pulled the trigger on one. They will hold their value well and eventually when Toyota makes nothing but battery powered toasters people will remember the lovely sounding performance Lexus V8 cars and they will appreciate. Don't wait too long.
okfoz
Detailer

I think if anyone is in the market for an inexpensive car that is looking to appreciate... don't laugh, but the Fiero, specifically the V6 models. Owners are starting to complain that their cheap fun & throw away cars are going up in value and becoming more expensive. It is one of the last if not the last mid-engine cars to stay so cheap for so long.
Condition is everything, even though they have plastic panels, there are parts that are steel and do rust out, the trunk area is one of those areas.
1988 is the most sought after, it had an improved suspension, better brakes, and several upgrades which would have probably been implemented in the failed Gen 2. It was the way the designers wanted the car.
GT is top of the food chain
Manual trans is also a must.
T-tops are a huge bonus,
Factory Yellow cars are also a premium.
Not fast by today's standards, but they are a lot of fun.
Sutton12
Intermediate Driver

I Don't know. I can't see much being produced in the auto industry today becoming collectable. To start young people today (who will be the collectors) are not as interested in automotive technology as us old guys. The technology today is too complicated. The OEMs all follow the same design lines. There are too many accessories we did not ask for like push button start (what's wrong with turning a key?), assisted parking. Buddy, if you can't back the car in...get out from behind the wheel. I was actually interested in the new Jeep Gladiator until I got in and realized that if the battery in my key fob goes dead the vehicle stays put. The fact that it re-started at every stop light put visions of replacing starters at the top of my "to do" list. Who aske for that? A Tesla might be collectable as soon as Ford, GM, Toyota and VW get on board since Tesla has a very limited dealer and service network. Just my two cents.
DUB6
Technician

Some of this is more of the "technology for technology's sake" if you ask me.  They gotta justify their costly engineers, so they invent stuff - need it or not - and shove it on us.

Jagman6566
New Driver

One vehicle that I see very little written about that I currently own is the 2006 Jaguar Super V8 Portfolio in which only 145 were produced mainly for the U.S. market . All were pre-sold even at at a price tag of $115,000. Would like to see some kind of notable mention especially since mine has been ultra-reliable and am always getting compliments on its appearance and the Black Cherry color, 1 of only 2 colors available. Performance is awesome as well 400hp 4.2 Supercharged V8 with an all aluminum body. All around beautiful car IMO.
DUB6
Technician

Hey @Jagman6566  - I would submit that your entry is indeed a "notable mention", so you got your wish!  😊  I know nothing about the car, but you made it sound pretty good so I'm now going to do some research and see what I can learn.  You kinda got me when you wrote "400 hp...all aluminum body".  Thanks for the tip!

Jagman6566
New Driver

Thank you! I might add it was based off The Concept Eight show car and was to be called the Super 8 (you see where that is going lol) and settled on Super V8 Portfolio for North America. super v8.jpeg

DUB6
Technician

Another interesting quote from your post is that the car is "ultra-reliable".  I'm in agreement with it's looks - in fact, almost anything I've ever seen from Jaguar is good-looking.  But the popular lore is that most Jags spend so much time in the shop that they hardly ever have time to get dings, faded paint, or worn-out mechanicals.  😄  I've never owned one (came close a time or two, but never pulled the trigger), so I can't attest to that.  But if it's true, you are indeed fortunate to have one of the exceptions to the rule.  Congrats on having a "future collectable"!