cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Will these 6 used cars be bonafide collectibles?

As enthusiasts, we're always on the lookout for interesting vehicles to add to our stable. Often, that means sifting through the chaff of average sedans and crossovers for the standout variant that engineers and designers put extra effort into. Such vehicles tend to target a niche of enthusiasts, which means volume was either limited or sales were simply low.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/valuation/will-these-6-used-cars-be-bonafide-collectibles/
134 REPLIES 134
wdb
Detailer

I looked long and hard for one of those when I was shopping for a midsized sedan a few years ago. Never found 'the one' and ended up with a Lexus GS350. The RL is no looker but the features sound like they'd make for a wonderful driver. All that said I don't see them becoming 'collectible' per se; sought after by a select few, that will be about it.
MMALLERY
New Driver

My honest opinion is, and some may disagree, but collectible cars are almost always 2 doors. That not to say that there aren’t many Big Light cars from the 20s that aren’t very collectible. Out of these 6, I see the 370Z survivors joining the ranks, as most of these will be abused and wrecked. If it’s a four door, it’s 2 doors to many, unless is super exotic!
BrianMc
New Driver

Saturn SKY Redline. Handles great, dependable, much more power than a Miata and looks better than the Soltice.
L-88
Pit Crew

I agree with Brian, nice ride, fun.

KYColonel
Intermediate Driver

The Redline is a great sports car...stylish and quick.
Here is a pic of mine: http://www.americantorque.com/page/1/3658/
Healeydays
New Driver

Ok, how about a unicorn.
2013-2015 BMW X1 35i M-Sport
The 6 cylinder turbo version of the X1 was only made those 3 years and think Clownshoe (Z3 coupe) in a SAV body.
23tbucket
New Driver

Collectables? I'm not a car collector but I know what I like and it's American Steel, it isn't Tesla, Alpha, Fiat or Nissan. Put any of these alongside a nice '32 Ford Deuce and that's where I'm at.
RapperW
New Driver

I’m more partial to the Colorado equipped with the 5.3 V8.
Short production run and tough to find.
Thanks.
RapperW
New Driver

Apologies to L 88, just read your post.
L-88
Pit Crew

No apologies Rapper, we're on the same page!

Piper
Intermediate Driver

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP?
Truthworldwide
Intermediate Driver

He did mention the G8/SS. Six-speed cars are becoming unobtanium.
67Firebird
Intermediate Driver

Hate to rile up all the confirmed forever I.C.E. brains here , but I wonder if early Electrics/hybrids will be collectible someday ? Priusii, first gen Insights ?
zmega
Pit Crew

Interesting thought. I bet a GM EV! would be worth something now if you could have saved one from the crusher.
MattK
Detailer

Yeah, first Gen Insight, unusal looking, only two passenger, and very high mpg.
Truthworldwide
Intermediate Driver

Absolutely. The Model S and Roadster in 20 years will be significant, although I will be interested to see how enthusiasts maintain them that long. The Prius could have an "ironically cool" moment.
50caddy
New Driver

My six speed FIAT 124 is fabulous and has not had any mechanical issues since I bought it new almost four years ago. It has been perfect. It is fast, comfortable, smooth and handles great. The top goes up or down in a flash. The body style often garners compliments from passers by. It is everything a sports car should be. I am confident that they will be collectible.
Timbo
Intermediate Driver

Succintly: NO!
67Firebird
Intermediate Driver

Also, hard to believe anything "Polestar" eventually becoming collectible. Only Pole Star becoming collectible is appearing nightly nude at local strip club .
zmega
Pit Crew

These are good choices. I think the Alfa is already entering the collectability market, based on Bring a Trailer auctions. The FJ Cruiser is pretty much already there, as well.
Alfista
New Driver

Please, give us ALFA guys a break!   Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet.  Alfa is a car.   

I would have bought a 4C if they came with manual transmissions, but they didn't and I'm a member of The Manual Gearbox Preservation Society.  So, after 50+ years of 101 and 105 series Alfas -- and despite being the founder of Scuderia Non Originale (SNO) -- I bought a Porsche Cayman S.  The Cayman handles wonderfully, has two trunks, is comfortable and -- so far -- has required only routine maintenance.  

Our 2005 Jeep had the 2.8 liter VM Motori motor and it was a wonderful engine, right up to 150,000 miles, when the head cracked.  Finding someone other than a dealer to work on it was a problem and we all know that dealer rates are astronomical.  It cost $1500 just for a stealership to remove the head and determine that it had become a doorstop.  Even with the Jeep motor in pieces,  a number of DIY mechanics were eager to buy it.  Maybe the Jeep Liberty CRD should be on the rare and collectible list along with your choices.

4wheel2wheel
Pit Crew

Any car can be a collectable. If someone rolled onto a showfield in a nicely kept 1990 YUGO Cabriolet and parked it next to any of the vehicles in this piece it would most likely attract more attention.
I parked my 1980 Shay Super Deluxe Roadster at a show and there was a new Audi R-8 to my right and a 1959 Triumph TR-3 to my left. The Triumph and the Shay got much more attention than the R-8.
Folks can relate to cars they new from the past, fond memories and questions always start the conversation.
Chief_Brody
New Driver

Totally agree.  Folks relate to cars from their past.  

colsteve
Pit Crew

Although they were produced in low numbers by Opel in Germany, the Buick TourX turbo should be a classic. Low profile, elegantly adorned interior and a powerful 2.0 litre turbo four cylinder with an 9 speed tranny. Mine is 2018 when I bought it new in September of 2019.

The Elegance level features leather seats, heated seats, sunroof and roof rails and more. I get more compliment son this car than I do my 56 Chevy, 64 Chevelle or 68 Mercury XR7. Because Opel sold out, Buick lost it's partner of many years. I get 35 mpg on the highway using premium fuel. That is my only objection as here in California nowhere is gas priced as high. The only option omitted on my one year old new car (when I bought it) was the seat massager.
Truthworldwide
Intermediate Driver

Sir, you have elegant taste. That car is an absolute beauty - and the rest of your collection is great as well.
JagXK8
New Driver

I think the 4C and the Fiat are good choices. A 4 door Lexus? no way. A pickup?
Perhaps the new Z-car but not the ugly previous gen. A Volvo? c'mon man.

How about the suicide door Continental? A Blackwing Caddy? An SRT 300? An f-type Jag?
A XLR-V Caddy? The 1996-2005 Jag XK8? the 2 door CTS-V coupe?
11JA
Pit Crew

In my opinion - short answer - no!
Tim
Instructor

The Alpha 4C will clearly be a collector.

The Fiat Spider seems like it would be on paper, but given that it could never reach the popularity of the Miata, it likely won't be able to compete with the Miata in the collector world. The Abarth will garner a greater following than the standard Spiders, but Fiat didn't put enough into the Abarth to make it truly stand out. 4 more HP? Really?
BRONCOSAUR
New Driver

I literally just stepped out of my daily driven Rebel Blue 2016 V60 Polestar. After a long hike, I loaded up my wife and daughter and packed the trunk full of picnic gear. The girls fell asleep while I confidently and comfortably carved the backroads of Long Island’s north shore with just a hint of exhaust burble to be heard under the local college radio station.
Future collectible? Try taking mine away from me.
Geo_Logic
New Driver

First gen 6.2 F150 Raptor?
exford
Pit Crew

The collectors credo has and always will be the following; “If it was desireable when new, it will be desireable when old”. Keep it simple.
JackVan
Intermediate Driver

I had a really nice Cadillac Allante 3 years ago that I cleaned up and fixed up. I had to send the drivers window switch to a junk yard in California to get it fixed. Any cars with multiple computers or digital dashes will be SOL after the dealers stop carrying repair parts. Next time the Caddy breaks, it will be someone else's problem.
elko67
Pit Crew

A friend had an Allante a early one with old under powered engine he felt the same way about it. Besides they were FWD no way too cool.

Chas1252
New Driver

I'll take my '86 Fiero GT to the grave. Value keeps creeping up to boot. Still the coolest working man's mid-engine around.
ThePorscheMan
Intermediate Driver

Nope, probably, nope, nope, probably, nope.
gggdds
Pit Crew

Collectable? The Alfa, probably. The rest? I think you're reaching. The Fiata is what I consider an underdog, and it could reach that status, but it's probably a bit too soon. I almost bought one. I felt at home with it in about 2 minutes and felt like I was "wearing it"....a term I usually reserve for my G-series, all manual 911S. It was light in handling, the engine was eager and price was, well, ok. The top is fabulous in it's simplicity (it's manual) and it's a one-arm operation. They say a Fiata is a Miata, but with an Italian engine and suspension. But the "Italian" touch really is magic, and it looks much better than it's sibling. I loved everything about the car except for the fact that it was only 2wd and I happen to live in the mountains. (no, the Abarth's LSD wasn't enough) So I took my $30k budget and bought a low mile 99' 996 Carrera 4 Cabrio.. I actually paid $25K for it, drove it home, then to my indy, and had the usual 996 weak spots all fixed. Total $30k, in February of 2020. Now, a mere year later, it's worth $40K. Now that's "collectable".
bridanne
New Driver

I guess I drive a future collectable in this country at least, as the body style was not that highly imported. How do we handle cars that are highly popular in other parts of the world but not in the
North American market for collectability. My daily driver is a 2008 Audi A4 Avant quattro 2.0t of which the importation to the North American market was limited, but the worldwide production was very good.
Maestro1
Instructor

An esoteric list to be sure.
I've had an Alfa so I'm sentimental about the car, and would own another one if circumstances were not in the way. Volvos have always been small tanks and expensive to fix even though they are mostly worth every penny to do so. I detest their latest granola advertising campaign. I've also had a Fiat 124 Spyder when I lived in Southern California 100 years ago it seems, never had the top up, it was glorious even in the notorious traffic.
My very special was an Alfa Romeo Gulietta Spyder, light blue with a black interior, once again in a City; I never forgot how such a short wheelbase car was so comfortable in ride and a sport in the corners and general handling. In my view the weakest part of the Product was a domestic dealer chain; they treated the car like a **bleep** child mixed in with whatever other brands were being sold by the dealer and parts were a nightmare. I finally found an independent Italian wrench in a small garage in an alley and he was a miracle.
I loved that car.

Inline8OD
Intermediate Driver

Can we can the investment talk? Special cars are something we like. If others like them, fine. If you want to invest, try real estate, mutual funds. This is supposed to be a hobby. All this pompous investment jive has decimated things for genuine car buffs. What's with the "collector car?" Since when is someone with one car a "collector?"
Can't we explore interesting cars strictly on their own engineering, design, drivability, dependability, quality merit?
Sk1959
Intermediate Driver

You did it again Hagerty. What is it with all these higher end, mostly exotic vehicles? Who cares about them other than the “more sophisticated” collector. Give us articles that us “average Joe’s” can relate to; the older “average” domestic vehicles that most of us grew up with. Bring on the Chevys, Fords and Mopars!
Truthworldwide
Intermediate Driver

Nothing screams "average Joe" more than a diesel Chevy pickup.
RKBerta
New Driver

I am a long time ALFA Romeo fan (NOT alpha please). Had a 1967 GTV that was a SCCA race car, Also a 1969 ALFA spider I bought new and kept for over 40 years before selling to gain garage space. Latest is a 2015 4C Launch Edition I bought new and it has been fantastic. Completely impractical except to put one hell of a smile on my face every time I drive it. With a couple of simple mods it is made even better and faster. One in really good condition is now going for close to what they sold for new on BAT and rapidly rising since the last 33 of the line were just sold (Tributo version). Put a 4C in its element...twisty roads, autocross, or track it is magical.
Frankly I don't care how much it will be worth down the road....no way would I sell it. Perhaps when ICE get outlawed but they will have to pry my foot off the gas pedal 😉 Sad that cars like these are probably never going to be sold again with the new regulations and push for soul-less cars like EVs.
MACE_Hardware
New Driver

I keep hoping one of these articles will help me validate fixing up my MR2 Mk1 Supercharged.
Biff1
Pit Crew

I think a bigger issue is, why are earlier but not old 80s and 90s cars attracting collectors? Because modern era vehicles are BORING. Oh, they’re faster than ever but other than the Challenger/Mustang/Camaro set, their looks are boring. I know it’s for fuel economy but still. That’s why we’re are wondering about five almost ordinary cars except for the Alfa. I grew in the car business through both dealer and factory relationships. I am a gear head car guy. And It is boring.
SJ
Instructor

Doubt it.
Dan-S
Pit Crew

Miata or whatever, you stick a FIAT name on it and it's doomed for failure. Let alone the unreliability which goes along with the FIAT moniker. Anybody who was around in the 1980's and before and who experienced a FIAT firsthand, will avoid them like the plague. In more recent times, take FIAT's attempt to slip one in with an American heritage name, the Dodge Dart II, which was a bitter failure and a curse to anyone who owned one.
DUB6
Technician

You know, it's sometimes dangerous to paint with too wide of a brush, @Dan-S !     You say anybody who was around in the 1980s...and who experienced a Fiat firsthand will avoid them.  Well, I'm an anybody who was around then (and well before), who had heard all of the hype about reliability issues, oil leaks, etc., etc., and still bought two - count 'em two! - very different Fiats and experienced NONE of the issues cited.  In fact, was quite happy with them both (a 1971 850 Sedan and a 1980 2000 Spider), and wish I still had them.  Would buy another Fiat in a heartbeat if presented with the right opportunity, based on my experience.

It is entirely possible that you have your own personal experience that makes you want to avoid the marque.  It is entirely possible that others do too.  But don't lump me in with yourself or that group, please and thanks.  It's like someone who says "everybody knows _________".  In point of fact, "everybody" doesn't know squat.  A lot of people might, but "everybody"?  Not possible.

So if you think Fiats are crap, you are welcome to your opinion.  But based on two separate ownerships, hard-driving experiences spread out over an entire decade, I loved the cars.

Dan-S
Pit Crew

I had lot's of experience, as a mechanic, working on FIATs(probably 100's of them), so I know firsthand about all the reliability issues. I'll admit, the 850's may have been the best of the bunch, but they, like their other FIAT brethren, suffered from wiring issues. The FIAT X1/9's(later Bertone as imported by Malcolm Bricklin) were notorious for having the timing belts go bad, prematurely. The first time around, some were still under warranty. 

Then, there were the 124 Spiders and later Pininfarina(also continued by Malcolm Bricklin). These liked dropping timing belts and smashing valves The only improvement was switching to Bosch fuel injection during the 1980 model year. Maybe yours had this? It improved the reliability noticeably. 

Malcom Bricklin had dabbled in the automotive business for years. He was the automotive industry's version of P.T. Barnum, relying on suckers to make him rich, although I think he took a hit on most every car he was behind. He brought us the Subaru Star, introducing Subaru to the U.S. He bailed before Subaru earned a good reputation in the U.S. He bailed on his his own Canadian-built U.S. powered SV-1 after only 3 model years. The Canadian government was bankrolling  Bricklin and when it stopped funding Bricklin, the company went into receivership.

Then, looking for more suckers, started importing the 2 FIAT cars. Being friends with our local dealer, they got stuck with cars in their inventory and warranty repairs were not reimbursed. 

Remember the Yugo? Still looking for suckers, Bricklin started importing them. That was actually a FIAT 127. Again, customers and dealers took a bath. When is the last time you saw a Yugo driving around?

Ever heard of the Chery car brand. Bricklin tried to import that Chinese-made vehicle.

Well, I guess you don't know about FIAT, but you are in the minority. There are still suckers around who will buy a FIAT-based car, but I've heard some horror stories. Look what FIAT has done to Chrysler. They are down to a few different models and Chrysler has seen it's glory days long ago. Today, they survive on Ram trucks, with the Cummins Diesel keeping them afloat. FIAT management stopped the use of the new small Cummins V8 diesel, which Chrysler had invested a ton of money in. FIAT, instead, decided to put their own V6 diesel in the Ram trucks. Many of these truck had to be bought back and unsold trucks couldn't be sold due to FIAT cheating on emissions. 

In the meantime, Nissan has been putting that V8 diesel in their trucks and Cummins dealers are busy retrofitting other trucks and vans .

DUB6
Technician

You really didn't get my point, did you?  You actually thought I was asking you to give me a 500-word lecture on FIAT history, and to indirectly call me a sucker.  Ah, well - it takes all kinds, I suppose.  Have a good day @Dan-S !

Dan-S
Pit Crew

Sure, I got your point, you are not everybody. Did you get my point(s), not just based on ownership of 2 FIAT products, but from working on 100's? I feel I know just a little bit more about FIATs than you. 

It's great that you didn't experience any of the problems associated with FIATs, but, from my experience, that's a little hard to believe. But, guaranteed, the owner's of those 2 cars after you probably did.

I should have mentioned, of those 100's of FIATs I had worked on, quite a few of their owners handed us the pinkslips. All in fine, maybe we were their pissing posts. When we tried to get rid of these cars by sending them to a junk yard, they wouldn't take them. Before we figured it out, not to take the cars when someone tried to pawn them off on us, we ended up having to pay to have the FIATs hauled off and taken to a car crushing facility.  WE ended up being the suckers!