cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will drive-in movie theaters soon provide Americans a much-needed night out?

A nostalgic staple of 1950s–60s America might provide a valuable escape from the current stay-at-home situation if U.S. officials allow it. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/will-drive-in-movie-theaters-soon-provide-americans-a-much-needed...

Replies (47)

Replies (47)

I'm on the board of a non-profit art house cinema.  We talked about doing this very thing, a pop-up drive-in.  Now, where to source the FM transmitter??

Passenger

Social distancing will require that only one passenger be snuck into the theater in the trunk.

New Driver

Now that nearly every vehicle has some form of bucket seat, and all the large bench seats are forever gone, the Drive In comes back in style.   Perhaps Detroit will now find a market for "lux-o-barges" with sofa-like seating for the young and young at heart.

New Driver

I find it kind of Ironic that you showed a Hagerty night at the Drive In when the Drive In that hosted the last Hagerty night at the Drive In is currently closed as it has been deemed "Non Essential" https://playeatdrink.com/  I know I could go for a Drive In movie right about now.

Intermediate Driver

I live in the U.K. but my wife and I visit the U.S. as often as possible and there is an old family owned Drive-in called Silver Moon near Plant City, Florida not far off I-4 which we love to visit. You can either use the old-fashioned speaker on door post or tune in your radio. For the authentic feel we usually use the door speaker but regretted it one night as there was a swarm of some kind of vicious bugs and we got eaten alive and itched for days after.

Pit Crew

Nearby we have the Melody 49 Drive-In theater. As far as I know, they have never missed a season since they originally opened. Been going there since I was a wee tyke, 60 years ago.

New Driver

A wonderful idea. As soon as we get one here I'm taking my girlfriend........just like the old days in my 1950 Chevrolet Convertible.

Intermediate Driver

Will the drive-ins be as "fun" with cars not having a bench seat in the front?

Passenger

I love drive-in movies, but the last time I tried to go It was in my Ford Edge and some of the surrounding car Chevy and other brand were having the same problem with hearing the movie since it comes though the Radio and when I open the door when car is shut off radio goes off and if leave door shut and motor off the radio on it auto shuts off. So the next time we go we plan on taking a radio with us. Just an FYI for drive-in movie goer in a newer cars

Passenger

Oh do I remember when. We used to bring the kids to the Maybrook NY Drive in in our station wagon and enjoy a great evening before the move started and then at intermission hit the snack bar for the kids. Agree that if you come in with a Classic then 50% off. Hope it gets legs now and even after we get back to normal.

New Driver

Here in beautiful southern New Jersey, home of the first drive-in movie theatre, we're looking forward to the annual reopening of the Delsea Drive-In (delayed for now, of course), a fine example that takes me back to my youth every time I'm there.  

https://www.delseadrive-in.com/

Passenger

We love our local drive in.  Unfortunately so many of the movies released nowadays have such dark backgrounds in a lot of the scenes they don't translate to the drive in screen.  That and ambient light can make it difficult to tell what is going on in the movie at times.

Pit Crew

I haven't gone to a movie in years. I don't indoor theaters and there are no drive ins around here anymore.

Passenger

"...A nostalgic staple of 1950s–60s America might provide a valuable escape from the current stay-at-home situation if U.S. officials allow it." These new drive-in theaters would be a permanent solution to a virus that will eventually fade away when vaccines start appearing in 2021. When the virus disappears from the public's memory will they still be interested in these newly built drive-in theaters? Yes, these drive-ins were very popular in the innocent era after WWII. Today, the culture, and social norms are drastically different. In some parts of the country it would be futile for a family with kids to go to see a movie at one of the drive-ins. Who would want to be parked near cars loaded with rude, loud, partying movie goers?

Passenger

Yeah, So where is the Gallery of cars at the drive in? Did yopu leave out the link????

New Driver

We have a drive-in movie location left but the problem in Florida very shortly will be the hot night temperatures.

New Driver

It would be amazing if the existing ones reopened and new ones started popping up. 

Pit Crew