cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will drive-in movie theaters soon provide Americans a much-needed night out?

A nostalgic staple of 1950s–60s America might provide a valuable escape from the current stay-at-home situation if U.S. officials allow it. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/will-drive-in-movie-theaters-soon-provide-americans-a-much-needed...

Replies (47)

Replies (47)

It didn't take the COVID-19 to make me want the drive-in theaters back. TV and movies on tv are fine, but the drive-in helps keep the family together. I love the drive-in theater and I'm in my 70.s with a car that fits the time. 

Passenger

As a Baby Boomer and Class of 65 youth I made many a journey to the Passion Pit. entertainment was cheap, the food was bad to lousy but where else could you get a dusk to dawn horror flick show? sometimes for only one buck! I recall loading a friend or two in the trunk of my 63 Impala, (we didn't weigh 190 pounds back then) and then pop them out for the show.  I would like to see the retrurn of the drive in but not for the same stuff I went for in the 60's.

New Driver

I’m 53 and I been a gearhead long before I got my license the day I turned 16.  I have never been to a drive-in theatre nor have I seen one that was operational anywhere I have lived in PA, DE, NYC and now NJ.  I’ve seen a closed one from outside the gates when I was high school.  I would love to take my classic car to one of these things (or anywhere else at this point).  Where do I sign up?!  To me it would be like getting to participate in cruise night on American Graffiti or going to the Woodward Dream cruise.  Perhaps I’m glorifying it too much from car movies but it seems like fun.  I don’t really care about the ticket prices since I paid $20 for just about every car show I went to last year on Saturdays and Sundays.

New Driver

Good times. Once I got an apartment I had to "housebreak" my girlfriend. Then I swapped out the bench seat in my 69 Torino Cobra for buckets and a console. Still have the Cobra but not the girlfriend.

New Driver

I have always loved the drive ins. Unfortunately in my town of Dallas Oregon they just took in down for a new neighborhood to go in after 60 very busy years. Maybe another will pop up soon close to me. Any way I think its a great idea and works great for this virus issue and also Church sermons as well. Any way neat article. I did not realize other countries did it as well.

New Driver

It might make a comeback if this is the new norm.  I sort of miss them, they were a great part of growing up.

Passenger

I love the idea!  I have many fond memories of our local drive-in when I was growing up.  Being a classic car owner the nostalgia is also very appealing.  However, and it's a big "however"  where will people go to the bathroom?  Remember how crowded the bathrooms would get between movies back in the day?  I'm sure we could work through no contact payment at the entrance.  I'm just not sure we can address having a no contact bathroom.

Passenger

I’m all for it. 

Passenger

I never figured out the 'death' of Drive-In Theaters.

just Greed at its best.

Property values / land at valuation '$' per square foot.

? How many Condo's can I put on that piece of ground.

Why keep something that has been around, and a Icon of family weekend night at the movies, together in your car.

This isn't just a 'American' night out.

I know Australia had them, growing up there.

Pit Crew

Not in Michigan our dictator governor shut one down already

Passenger

yes for drive-ins

Passenger

Our "esteemed" guv'ner doesn't seem to know the difference between a drive-in theater, or a multiplex Emagine one. Canterbury Village in Orion Twp. had arranged to set up a parking lot one, with all due cautions, but were told outright, that it violates her executive orders. This violates common sense and responsibility. It is far less dangerous than the Kroger or COSTCO, parking lots! I think it is time the legislature rein her in. She has refused to work with them at all, while going on national TV defending her arbitrary and capricious decisions. For example, she allowed pot shops to open but not landscapers.
My only question about them are restroom facilities. No food concessions are likely out, too.

Intermediate Driver

Sure hope so.  Spent many a night at one.  Hopefully food is better or bring your own.  Here we need car coolers as it is too hot in summer without one.

Passenger

This is one of only five drive ins currently operational in Georgia. It sports six screens and also functions as a flea market as well.  (see link)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60898-d1743109-Reviews-Starlight_Six_Drive_In-Atlanta...

Pit Crew

Definitely! Can't wait to take the kids to http://www.cherrybowldrivein.com/ for their first drive-in movie. Drive up experiences are having their day in the sun again...we hit up the A&W in Frankfort, MI and it was packed last weekend, with several classics showing up. 

Pit Crew

We are lucky to live about 2 miles from a drive in movie  theater here in Central New York. I sure hope it opens soon- makes total sense! It would be a perfect spot to show off my teal 1994 Camaro Z28 convertible, one of only 441 Z28 convertibles  in that color built that year. For extra protection they can close the concession stand, although it’s a big money maker. Raise the prices temporarily for admission- their loyal followers would understand. I grew up in Northern New York, near the Canadian border. Great memories piling into whatever beat up car my mother had at the time for a night at the drive in! I clearly remember seeing Smokey and the Bandit there, and falling in love with Sally Field. 😃

New Driver

Yes, any excuse to show off the ride, gawk at others, and watch a movie at the same time.  Great memories back in the day (1966).  We have one drive in , that I know of in the Houston area.  

Passenger

In Detroit we have the largest drive-in in the country The Wayne drive in on Ford rd. Since Covid-19 they have been closed by the state. They offer 10 movies daily and have the speakers or you can tune into the radio station to listen to it on your stereo speakers. Great times. Hope they can weather the closure and sustain as a viable option to see the latest movies. 

Passenger

I remember the drive in if we didn't have a car we would ride our bikes and sneak in and listen to someone's else's radio after they took away the speakers. My mom took us the see Jaws we got there late and had to sit in line blocks away just to see the movie the second time it played we walked up to watch the movie without sound the first playing. It was so worth waiting to see it the second time. That happened to more then once and nobody ever left the line drive ins where that popular.

Passenger

As for buckets vs. bench seats, I've had my Galaxie over 26 years now, about a year after I bought it I picked up an original set of buckets and a console for it, six months after that I found some one selling a set of modern (Lincoln Mk VII LSC) buckets, full power etc. I've long since sold them off. When someone asks why or remarks I should get bucks I tell them "no way, let me show you why.." Then I'll stand next to them, about a foot apart with my left hand out simulating holding the wheel, indicating to the space between us I'll say there is a console here, then with my right I'll hold it out and ask them to hold my hand. I'll simply say.."buckets" .Then I put my armaround their shoulder while moving right against them and say "bench".  Never fails to get a big "I gotcha" grin from them.

Passenger

Yeah this would be great along with reopening gold courses, parks and beaches, and makes perfect sense with what we know now, being OUTSIDE is best as it dissipates very easily and (for daytime activities) is killed by sunlight, but we have a megalomaniac dictator in Springfield that still calls them "non-essential" and wont let them open even though they are in somewhat rural counties well far away from the dense populations of Chicago. But why let science and common sense get in the way of a political decision?!?!?!?

Passenger

I would love it!! But that makes too much sense! They tore ours down and made NY style highrise housing! Go Figure!!

Pit Crew

The Drive-In in Centre Alabama is open for business if you wish to go.

Passenger

ltoona High

Passenger

Oh God, how I miss the drive-in theaters. I was born in 1952 and our local drive-in was a show place with beautiful landscaping, picnic areas and a play ground. Local folks would even go in the daytime to enjoy the grounds. My teenage years in the late 60's have many, many memories of the great times we had there. In the early 70's after getting out of the service I started selling cars at the local FLM store and my first demo was a 1973 Mach I Mustang. My wife and myself would take our first born with us to the drive-in and make a pallet on the rear seat for him and he would sleep right through the double feature. This drive-in had the best greasy french fries you have ever tasted and even today my wife and me still laugh about those fries. Yes we would go to a drive-in today and have a great time.

Passenger

All right... all right! Would love to revisit a drive in theater, but all in our area have been torn down. Maybe some local entrepreneur will open one with Pandemic specs! 

Navigator

I met my wife at our local drive-in back in the days. They had a holiday all nighter every year at Labor day and Memorial Day. Pay for two or three and sneak in two more in the trunk. Fun memories. Unfortunately ours was bulldozed for progress many years ago...a Wal-Mart.

New Driver

Epic theaters in Deltona Florida converted their parking lot into a drive in theater showing old family movies. They also have online popcorn 🍿 ordering and drive through pick up. Yes! there have been millions of lost jobs, but there going to be millions reimagined jobs created. 

Passenger

All my kids grew up going to the drive-in in our convertibles. But the last one in my area closed down about 8 years ago, complaining that all the movie companies insisted that the projection be updated to digital and it wasn't worth the cost for them to do it. That drive-in had 5 screens so would have had to update all those projectors. It was bulldozed to make way for...and empty field. Progress.

Pit Crew

Hooray...drive-in's are on the way back. Great memories.... but now some limitations exist due to almost every car having a console. So social distancing will happen with your date! (unlike the old days)   

Pit Crew