cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Why I bolted a baking pan to my Honda XR250R

The beauty in being an idiot is that you don't know what you are doing is idiotic. Lately, I have been envious of those less intelligent-or is it more smarter?-than myself. The first two parts of the Six Ways to Sunday racing project this year were the easiest: build the XR250R up and race motocross and cross country at Heartland Park.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/i-mounted-a-baking-pan-to-my-honda-xr250r/
17 REPLIES 17
GRP_Photo
Instructor

Good luck!
Kyle

Thanks! Just looking to have a fun and safe weekend this go.
JMP
Intermediate Driver

Hi Kyle, Since you changed out the suspension, did you consider limiting the travel to level out the bike and lower it more? After the drum brake heats up, isn't it going to be pretty useless on the track?
Kyle

I did, but it's not a popular modification for the motard guys. If the folks faster than me don't spend time and effort on a modification, I'm not going to do it on my first go. Limiting travel or lowering the bike might be something I try in the future, but for now it's full height for all events.

The drum brake on these bikes isn't as bad as a lot of folks on the internet will tell you. I'm certain it will fade a small amount (like almost every non-race brake system put in race conditions), but I am not concerned that it will diminish to nothing. The front brake is the vast majority of braking force, hence why I didn't skimp there.
Driver17
Intermediate Driver

The rear brake is only lightly-used in roadracing. If you watch Superbike or MotoGP, the rear wheel is frequently off the pavement during braking. The front does all the work. The rear is just for mid-corner adjustments for the most part.
JMP
Intermediate Driver

You may want to install a steering dampener to prevent speed wobble.
brians356
Advanced Driver

A friend in his mid '60s has ridden dirt all his life, and rallies in various amateur age group events. Tumbled a few times, sure, but recently he crashed out by himself, breaking six ribs, partially collapsing a lung, and concussion. Somehow walked two miles before a quad rider came along. He's selling all four of his bikes and taking up something safer like parasailing or abalone diving.
Kyle

Everything comes with risk, and everyone has different risk tolerance (which changes with time and experience)

There are certainly things I did 10 years ago that I would never do today, and things I do today that in 10 years I will wonder why I ever did. That's life.
DougL
Detailer

Buy the drill press! Benchtop drill presses are surprisingly cheap and I have found mine to be very useful. I wish I had bought it long ago.
Kyle

it's on my shopping list right now, and this project bumped it up the list a good bit. Right now I'm paralyzed by choice because there are so many options out there for benchtop models, but not many solid reviews. I'm making the space for one in the coming weeks, then I will be all out shopping this fall.
Tinkerah
Engineer

Kyle before you buy a drill press I strongly encourage you to consider an entry level benchtop mill/drill machine. For about twice the money and the same bench space it'll triple your axes of capability. If you can swing the investment (I deliberately didn't say "cost") it'll become your second most versatile tool after your dominant thumb.
Kyle

Interesting. Good tip, Ii'll do some research!
RJ
Detailer

That is the best opening sentence I've seen in a long time! Great read, and I'm not even a bike guy.
Rob1
Instructor

Great article Kyle I had to laugh at myself I had bikes from motocross/dual sport/cruisers/and sport bikes for over 40 some odd years and never thought of globbing silicone on the master link what a idea i have lost the retainers in the past and it also come in handy to spot the link and be sure all is well,DUHHH never to old to learn.Cheers R
Kyle

I'll admit it wasn't something I came up with on my own, but I like it a lot more than the options where I safety wire it in place. Maybe when I get a little better with safety wire pliers I will do it that way.
GeeKay
Pit Crew

 Here you are at speed, baking pan included! I live about 30 minutes from track. Looked like a great turnout with great weather. Have fun!

3D772210-081F-4CB5-B5DA-51D5B15B8C6C.jpeg

Kyle

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. It was a great day for racing. Wish I could have met you and said hi.