cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Who wore it better? 2022 Porsche 911 GT3 vs. 1993 Pontiac Firebird | Hagerty Media

Our first look at the 2022 Porsche 911 GT3 had all our focus on the impressive specs: 510 hp, a 9000-rpm redline, 50 percent more downforce-the list of impressive numbers goes on.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/who-wore-it-better-2022-porsche-911-gt3-vs-1993-pontiac-firebi...
125 REPLIES 125
Jim1969
Intermediate Driver

Maybe I’m missing something in the article. How do you compare a Pontiac to a Porsche? The Porsche is an internationally known sports car. A Pontiac Firebird is not.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

You compare by pointing out a similar design feature.
spoom
Technician

Hmm, Panoramic roof MKZ or Vista Cruiser wagon...🤔

Hymie60
Intermediate Driver

Wow, that’s a hard one too answer.🧐
Spudsly
Pit Crew

We have a 97 Formula, Porsche has a similar hood function on it's new model. So What ! We love our bird. But. It's 23 years latter, this happens on many models, and, GM stopped making Pontiacs, sadly, 19 years ago.
Can we have some relevent content, please...
spoom
Technician

19 years ago? 🤔

Abox5
New Driver

Not a big fan of either, but I’d say I would probably go with the Firebird. Not because it’s a better car, but I sure wouldn’t want to be associated with the pretentious douche bags that drive 911’s.
SJ
Intermediate Driver

Yawn.....
TG
Detailer

That wasn't exactly the most attractive era for the firechicken - and they were fake... so I'm going with the Porsche
And the same thing goes for music, TV shows, and cars where most of the good ideas have already been taken so there's bound to be some repetition
okfoz
Intermediate Driver

The 2018-2021 Mustang also wears similar hood heat extractors https://www.mrbodykit.com/images/2015-PARTS/MUS1819-CF01HV.jpg
CitationMan
Advanced Driver

I think “Who Wore It Better” should be a new regular column. I didn’t think it was possible to induce more cognitive dissonance than the “What If” column, but here we are.

Tony57
New Driver

Those Firebirds are mostly in junk yards and the Porsche will spend most of it's time on a lift getting repaired...oh yeah, the hoods look similar
Iso_Grifo
Intermediate Driver

Hehe -- a whole lot of heated discussion over a little bit of nonsense fun. I'm sure they're masterminding more like this.

Frankly they're both loser designs. The Pontiac is a fake and the Porsche wrecks the lines of the car.
Mr_Whatsittoya
Pit Crew

Are those really considered "heat extractors" on the GT3? Does air flow in through the nose and pass through a heat exchanger before exiting through the hood? If not then they don't serve the function of extracting heat (and are most likely for reducing front-end lift). The engine is in the rear. The only heat that will be up front will be from storing a holiday turkey on the way to grandma's house for Thanksgiving.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

The engine is in the rear, but the radiators are in the front.
allmeads
New Driver

the article lead did say, "who wore it better...?" I don't think the author was attempting to compare anything of the 2 cars other than the visual hood design. Worth the read? Well for the 30 seconds it takes? it's a push.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Gee, thanks. I guess.
allmeads
New Driver

ok, fair enough.  Worth the read?  Yes!

tanglefoot
New Driver

Hagerty; don't forget they both have four wheels! lmao!!
curly
New Driver

Hagerty version of "Say yes to the dress" give me a break
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

I dunno, I kind of think it's more like Hagerty's version of "Who wore it better?"
bikefoole
New Driver

Unbelievable when the factoids get all pissy about the most idiotic minutia. This was a supremely entertaining comparison that came to all of our mailboxes at absolutely no cost to you. If you don’t like the ongoing entertainment, unsubscribe and go join some group that wants to listen to you complain.
Keep it coming, Hagerty writers.
MYTFAST
Pit Crew

Yeah, pretty dumb comparison - even the split car image makes no sense visually.
markmathes
Pit Crew

I once saw a turkey and thought it was a peacock
JonMiller
Intermediate Driver

In 1993 I had the chance to visit a reputable Porsche tuner in southern Germany. I was surprised to see photos of the Pontiacs in this article displayed in the workshop. I asked why they would be studying such a car and the answer was very candid and revealing. This tuner was working on a modified 928 which had the potential to be called "Blackbird". The plan was for a turbo V8 and the hood vents would be functional and used for twin intercoolers. I inquired when the car would be available to customers and, as best as I can recall, this was the reply: "We have most of the engineering solved but we are challenged by three problems. How do we give the car t-tops, should it have an angry bird on the hood, and can we make the car talk?
ChevyDave
Intermediate Driver

Good God people....get a life (and sense of humor while you’re at it).