cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

Which of my 12 vehicles is best to escape the apocalypse?

My professional colleague Zach Bowman at Road & Track already beat me to writing a “Best Apocalypse Vehicle” piece, and in it, he came to a quite unexpected conclusion. Then, a day later, my friend Craig Fitzgerald put his odd spin on the subject, writing a piece for cartalk.com on “10 Cars for Social Distancing,” taking the standpoint that those cars are so ugly, ill-conceived, or poorly executed that people will recoil and give you lots of space as you drive past (anti-E-Types, if you will). Damn, guys, you left slim pickings for little ol’ me. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/which-of-my-12-vehicles-is-best-to-escape-the-apo...

12 REPLIES 12
Brad
Hagerty Employee

Rob, you have an eclectic collection of cars there, and in the end you chose the Honda to escape the Brain Eaters. Perhaps you're not as insane as you'd like us to believe? Good choice!

F360Spider
Detailer

The vehicle I find best to escape the apocalypse is my gated Ferrari 360 Spider. Just fire up the engine and the apocalypse melts away. Floor it in third to red line and the virus gets burned in the hell fire of the engine. Downshift coming into a corner and the burbling and pops reminds me that there is still life and fun even in terrible times.

jbarone01
Pit Crew

The 360 is a very nice car.  But, I would leave my Ferrari F355 Spider in the garage and take my turbo diesel H1 Hummer instead.  This situation calls for get up and go in any terrain to get away from the brain eaters.  And the Hummer would be able to run over top of the BMW's and any Ferrari once they ran out of gas (The Hummer could use home heating oil when all the traditional gas stations have closed).  Just my 2 cents worth.

thibbledorf
Passenger

I've got two W123 manual shift cars.  Leave all my exotica in the garage, we'll escape (very slowly), in the 240Ds.  

tanglefoot
New Driver

All your missing is a junk yard tow-truck.

audiobycarmine
Advanced Driver

Zombies aside, in an actual emergency escape scenario, your best bet is a bicycle. 

You'd need a few specialized tools, spare tires/tubes and baskets/racks. 

Naturally, everyone would need their own. 

No fuel, overheating, difficult repairs, etc. but here's the best reason: traffic. 

Here on Long Island, NY, we had an almost-completed but much-contested nuclear power plant in Shoreham, Suffolk County. 

All studies, and even an actual drill, showed that evacuation by car would be nearly impossible. Those with boats and lots of fuel would fare better, but so would those on bicycles. OK, so you'd be exposed to the elements. The Scandinavians have a saying, "There's no bad weather, only bad clothing." 

BillH
Passenger

When we evacuate for the fall Hurricanes it is the X1 and the M Coupe (even thou Haggerty will transport it)-leaving the ultra high mileage E90 and the E36 convertible behind-now if we could teach the dog to drive....

Pitt2500
New Driver

Where’s my favorite:

Pinzgauer 710M?

Old school with NO electronics. 

Has Hagerty ever done a story on them as I cannot find anything on Hagerty’s website?

gilchbo
Passenger

vermont plates on a massachusetts car.   hmmm

FartinMartin
Pit Crew

Just a bit euro-centric?

Tinkerah
Technician

Anything with carburetors and breaker points. Too many reasons to list!

1970EuropaGuy
New Driver

This is a no brainer. The Lotus Europa. That's what my plan is.

Zombies and the like don't corner very fast so drive in circles all day on beautiful windy roads. A bonus is great fuel mileage combined with cheap gas means you'll have money left over when the apocalypse either ends or nobody will care. The only problem I see is driving up to the window at Burger King and having to get out of the Lotus to grab your **bleep**ty on the run meal.