cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Which 1990s supercar is making the biggest waves?

If you take any stock in current trends in fashion and music, the 1990s are back in a big way. Popular culture is welcoming back jelly sandals, acid wash jeans, and enough furry bucket hats to choke a Gen-Z influencer.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/these-1990s-supercars-are-on-the-rise/
51 REPLIES 51
hyperv6
Racer

F40! mic Drop clunk.......
NAMiata
Intermediate Driver

Mostly thought of as an "80s" car. I think that's why it was left off the list.
Greg_I
Hagerty Employee

@NAMiata the real reason is the F40 saw nearly no movement this past quarter, where it saw significant changes in the previous.

hyperv6
Racer

Sales are not common but with each one in good condition it keeps getting higher. 

I also judge by trends not quarterly numbers as they are not very reliable. On freak auction sale can distort the truth. 

Greg_I
Hagerty Employee

@hyperv6 it might comfort you to know that I am heavily involved in the Hagerty Price Guide, so I completely get your point. Merely pointing out that not much was going on with the F40 between now and January, and we did see some reported sales. If anything the others are catching up.

hyperv6
Racer

I just pointed out in my opinion shotvterm observations today are difficult to gauge as true long term gains. 

One freak sale can set a tone that may very well be true. 

Auctions like Barrett Jackson have created many false flags. 

A number of these exotics never even get to auction or the sold price disclosed. 

Often so few exchange that you need to look at several years of results to see if you have a real trend. 

Not disputing you. I just look at things differently to get what I feel is a better idea of a trend. 

Greg_I
Hagerty Employee

@hyperv6 correct me if I’m assuming incorrectly, but I get a bit of a feeling that the assumption is that we completely rely on auctions to estimate the market. While auctions are nice because we can look at reported sales, leaning on one source of information is not a great way to get the big picture. With cars of this level, we do rely on conversations with marque experts who do have insight to those more likely private sales. Sorry if I made it seem like we lean on only auctions. Just wanted to set the record straight.

hyperv6
Racer

Ok that was not clear. 

Still many auctions anymore are distorting the market in my opinion. And that is all I am giving here. It is nothing to get disturbed about.

I also personally take the future predicted collectable prices with a grain of salt as they are not always true. 

I am the hobby for the love not the investment and these sections are just comments for we the readers. That is all I am doing comments.

Like predicting sports you can use all the numbers on who will do what yet the results alway vary. No one saw the Bengals in the Super Bowl vs LA

So please this is not a specific critic of you or these specific prices. Intake all reports the same way with a. It of skepticism. 

Heck my one car was predicted to be a $100k car at one point by 2000. It is far from that. But I never bought it for that reason. It is worth more than I paid and that is fine with me but I have no plans to trade anyway. 

I personally take these reports to be more entertaining than anything. 

Bug 110 SS sales are not very common and I doubt many here are using this to plot their next purchase. 

sclin10
Advanced Driver

Eeney, meeney, miney moe. Jeez, which one should I buy?
SteveWeidert
Pit Crew

Super priced, super gas hogs, super misrepresented. Why do the snotty, rich and shameless always flock to Euro trash? If you live in the USA....support the country that houses you. Or by all means...move to Germany or Italy!!!
Timbo
Detailer

WOW! My feelings exactly? Well said! Cadillac, Mustang or Corvette will sit you back in your seat or how about Superformance or Race Car Replicas? Of course the Euro cars are mostly bought as investments, not cars, raising the prices for all collectors.
gordon
Pit Crew

Are they only bought as investments? In my country I see plenty of them being driven - as cars!
MY600hp
New Driver

Wait…but if you actually drive those cars something will break and it will cost $$$$&! to get it repaired! 

Pegleg01
Detailer

IF you can get repair parts at all...
gordon
Pit Crew

Well, technically a Jaguar is not European - certainly the British would have taken you to task in the 90s, second, we are talking super cars so they will be “super” most things & third, which American car(s) are you suggesting?
PS I don’t live in the USA
Doubleo
Pit Crew

The title of this article is "Supercars". I don't know of a '90s American car that would qualify. As far as price, have you not seen the prices of muscle cars on recent auctions ? Fuel consumption not much different either. I like all cars regardless of it's country of origin and I am not snotty, shameless, and definitely not rich.
Zzz
New Driver

Maaaybe the top spec Viper could sneak in, but it’s only superpower is displacement…
JohninNC
Instructor

ZR1? I think the Viper would qualify too.
PRScott
Instructor

Support the country that houses you?? By buying what ??
Snailish
Instructor

2021 "Most American" car lists (i.e., Forbes):

Tesla Model 3 (Fremont, Calif.)
Ford Mustang (Flat Rock, Mich.)
Tesla Model Y (Fremont, Calif.)
Jeep Cherokee (Belvidere, Ill.)
Chevrolet Corvette (Bowling Green, Ky.)
Honda Ridgeline (Lincoln, Ala.)
Honda Odyssey (Lincoln, Ala)
Honda Pilot (Lincoln, Ala.)
Honda Passport (Lincoln, Ala.)
Toyota Tundra (San Antonio, Texas)

I'm sure if one spent more time digging you could pull just the parts-content aspect (most of the lists factor in assembly plant). This list is more "American Brand" than recent years (Last time I looked it up there was 3 Toyotas in the top 10) with Mustang making the top 10. More of these have a head office outside of the USA...
Gwhajny
Pit Crew

Seriously? When is the last time you had a look around your house? All or parts of your car made in Asia, Canada or Mexico, Japanese or Korean TV, Korean cell phones, at least one or more Asian appliance, drywall from China, home wood framing from Canada, and if you shop at Walmart, pretty much everything you buy there is from China. Our country was built on international trade. Buying a European or Asian car does not make you anti-American. We are fortunate to still have the freedom to purchase whatever we like that meets American standards and regulations.
Lobster70
Pit Crew

...quietly rolls by in a Miata (that is now insured for 216% of what I paid for it in 2016) thinking how Japanese would be really hard to learn...
monkee
Pit Crew

Ahhhh....
And the King of the Hill was?
RotaryRich
New Driver

In the business of propane and propane accessories.

4RenT
Advanced Driver

I had to look up what a "furry bucket hat" was...
Lowpass
Pit Crew

I would expect to see the Lotus Esprit and the Acura NSX in this group. A little less exotic, but still considered super cars and from what I've seen, both have outperformed this list in terms of percent appreciation recently.
geminate
Pit Crew

Yea, I was expecting the NSX too. Its value is soaring! It’s also a very reliable car that can actually be driven regularly.
JohninNC
Instructor

Oh yes, I'd certainly call the NSX an exotic.
Comrad71
New Driver

I was thinking that they were going to show some F-body Cars. Since they are becoming very sought out for.
trickytrick
Intermediate Driver

Ferrari F-50? Just sayin.
MARK400
Detailer

Yes perfect cars for the average guy to drive to Walmart in. Nothing American made here ?
Vetteguy
New Driver

I think the Ford GT should be on this list
Doubleo
Pit Crew

I don't think any were built in the 1990's but if the article was 2000's then I would agree.
Eric2
Intermediate Driver
Eric2
Intermediate Driver

I was thinking the same!
El-Oscuro
Pit Crew

I would also add the Dodge Viper to that list.  With 400HP in 1991 it pretty much out ran anything else made at that time.

Hacksaw
Intermediate Driver

All that glitters is not gold. But if you need to fix that glittery thing, you better have buckets of gold. Not impressed with the foreign slant to these articles.
Iso_Grifo
Instructor

Is a 993 Turbo a supercar? I would say so. It's got all these all whipped. Air cooled 911's are on full boost again. Even my lowly 1989 Carrera 3.2 is up 40 - 50%. And that doesn't exactly break my heart.
wentwest
Intermediate Driver

These articles are really a cross between Antiques Roadshow and a Playboy Bunny of the Year article.
DanLBeer
New Driver

American cars are like American cheese - tasteless. When you live here in US you support the country by paying taxes but it does not mean that you HAVE to eat American cheese (buy American cars)
pyasher
Pit Crew

Love them all - American and European - I have had both and I can see another Alfa in my future to keep my 67 Corvette, 72 Chevelle Wagon and 2012 Cadillac CTS-V Wagon company.
TimK
Detailer

In my financially challenged opinion the Jag XJ220 by far has the best style with its proportional and sleek lines. As far as reliability, who cares, if you have to ask how much (to fix it) you can't afford it. And I can't afford any of them.
Farm966
Pit Crew

Since you dont have a lot of chances to go 200 mph, I would rather have a corvette and keep the cash in the bank. A lot easier to service too.
Almerkel
New Driver

Few cars exist and only for the super rich. Think of the Thunderbird SC as a car for the rest of us, think of the Impala SS as an entry. How about some of the Mercedes and BMW models. Please don’t laugh!
PhillipinSD
Intermediate Driver

It seems rich collectors are buying anything from any decade that has 4 wheels. From my perspective some people simply have too much money too spend on any car they consider to be cool. As in every other hot market the temperature will cool down before you know it. There will be many of those cars which will be down to bargain basement prices. As you guys at Hagerty must know buying an exotic car of any vintage of 15 years or older can cost much more to garage, maintain, and even insure than the actual cash paid to buy the car. If one is not very wealthy those cars will become much less desirable over time. We're not talking about 1960s Chevys here. You guys at Hagerty know that. Try doing an article about fun cars to collect that are very affordable to maintain even when the market gets cold.
Snailish
Instructor

I'm sure their metrics show them that people are clicking and reading articles about the exotics.

Then they get the high comment count --though a fair chunk of the comments are usually anti-supercar. Some of the same posters put the same comments under every supercar article...

If we want more musclecar, brass era motoring, barn find, how to, brand history, driving story, etc. articles we need to:

1. read the ones they have already posted.
2. comment on them instead of complaining about the supercar articles. If the most active parts of the forums are everything but supercars, there will be less supercar focus.
Snailish
Instructor

Older Ferraris increasing in value...

...in other news rain is wet?

I get it, in 4 months these are moving hotter than the market. The article doesn't say how hot the exotic car market has been though --if the average is 7% then only a few of these examples are really standing out.

Furthermore, how many sales is the 50% uptick in that one Bugatti based on?
9lbhammer
Advanced Driver

Are there even enough of them for sale out there to make statistically relevant arguments?
NAMiata
Intermediate Driver

Thanks for the clarification, Greg. It's great to have the information from someone on the inside.