cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

When one of your cars just has to go … or, on second thought, maybe it doesn’t

I currently own 11 cars. There’s our two daily drivers and the Winnebago Rialta small RV, plus the seven vintage BMWs and the Lotus Europa on my Hagerty policy that must be tucked safely in a garage. As I’ve written before, there’s room in my 31×17 shoebox-dimensioned garage to comfortably fit three cars—four over the winter if I sardine them in place—and I rent four garages in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, about an hour from my house, which has room for another eight.

If I’m working on the cars and driving them, however, as I do in warmer weather, packing them in the garage makes it difficult to enjoy them for a quick drive.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/when-one-of-your-cars-just-has-to-go-or-on-second-thought-mayb...

20 REPLIES 20
Passenger

Thank you for this article, I connected with it on *many* levels, really appreciate your fine 'smithin !!!

Passenger

Thanks so much for this, I connected with it on *many* levels. Really appreciate your fine smithin' !!! 

Passenger

I Have that same car but bad cancer. When I found it, it had been sitting outside for 10 years. I used the bumpers and seats for my 84 633 (Bodereck) and using the transmission for my e28 (Ginger). No idea of the m90 condition. 

Passenger

I always wanted a 635csi...I found a brochure from the dealer (in German) from 1980 in a box a couple years ago, so every once in a while I'll search the web for one of them or an e21 323i (which is what I was driving when I got the brochure for the 635csi), not many out there, so yeah, probably hard to know what's a fair price.

Passenger

Great story and insights. Thanks
New Driver

That car may not have 217,000 miles. Since it was original Euro spec, and the speedometer that shows 217,000 is calibrated in miles, it is obviously not the original speedometer. Did the car come with any documentation that records how many kilometers were on it when it was imported and how many miles were showing on the MPH speedometer when it was installed?  If not, the mileage is really "unknown" and may well be less than the 217,000 that is showing.

Detailer

Instead of selling one to save one garage payment, buy one more to maximize the value.

Passenger

Rob,

First have to thank you on sharing information on the Vermont loophole for titling cars , I’ve been buying old cars for 21 years. Most under $2000 , all good deals. Now numbering 21 vehicles. I like you had to find a place to park then, used storage lots, a restoration shops back yard. I realized for what I was paying I could possibly buy a property to put them on. Found a foreclosed 2 bay shop out in a rural area 40 min from my house for under $50k. I accumulated an eclectic collection and spent many Saturdays along with my son working on them, mostly spent mitigating rust, keeping those that ran running and trying to get stuck motors unstuck.  It was enjoyable and to some extent still is. But like so many old age ( early 60’s) and some health issues has slowed me from getting done all my dreams for each car. I actually feel stress when I think of all the list of items I need to get done. A friend labeled me a “car hoarder”. And admittedly that’s probably true at this point.So I’m thinning the herd. The two 59 Edsel 4 dr hard tops are on the list as well as (with regret) 39 Packard that has one of the best front ends of the 30’s , several late 90’s MB 420e’s Great little cars but repair issues can be complicated but they’ve made me a better mechanic. So in consideration of storage cost over the years, parts and cases of rusty metal primer I’ll lose money on the cars, make money on the property, but 5 of the cars I’ll keep and in long run I’ll probably break even when I sell those. The best one is a 65 Impala real good black body with all SS items although it’s not one, bought body for $850 back in 99’ and have had offers of $6k for it, but recently bought and rebuilt a 63 Bette 327 engine to drop in it. 
   It was fun while it lasted and it’s hard to let go of the visions I’ve had for them all but reality is I can’t get to them all and if I pass away my son would let them go at the first lowball offer just to get rid of them. 😩!

New Driver

As a Lotus owner, and a occaisional BMW racer, and caretaker of 10 vehicles ( 9 of which currently run), I feel your pain and your joy. I sold off my Taurus SHOs, and while I miss the very competent 89 street/track/show car, I only miss the drive, not fixing the car.

New Driver

I know your pain

Have several running cars and equal projects

Not paying for storage

But if I had to sell a child

Not going to happen