cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

What If? Quick Take: 2022 Dodge Durango Hellcat Coupe | Hagerty Media

Welcome to What If? Quick Take, a new feature from imaginative illustrator Abimelec Arellano and Hagerty. While the cars shown in our regular What If? features are full 3D renderings and can appear in any number of images, the Quick Takes are off-the-cuff expressions of Abimelec's imagination.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/what-if/what-if-quick-take-2022-dodge-durango-hellcat-coupe/
14 REPLIES 14
Flashman
Instructor

Is this what you do at 11:30 on Saturday nights while checking your email? Are you going to be writing all the Quick Takes? 'Cause it's brilliant.
Ark-med
Intermediate Driver

I'm so glad the DDHC betrays, nay, _flaunts_ its plebeian roots by making no effort to conceal its rear wiper.
HHCO
Intermediate Driver

Can’t say I’m in love with this,how about a small pickup bed on back,they teased a few years ago of Durango small truck,it looked good

Jack_Hagerty

That would be a Dakota! But I think that market niche is now totally filled by the Gladiator as far as "Stellantis" is concerned.
JGeske
Intermediate Driver

I think they may sing a different tune with the Ford Maverick and Hyundai Santa Cruz hitting the market. They could make a mid-sized unibody from the Durango to compete with the Honda Ridgeline and a small sized Maverick competitor by bringing the RAM 1000 or 1200 north (not the 700, too small). The Gladiator's looks and off-road orientation would not appeal to those that shop for a Durango. On the other hand, a number of Durango buyers would appreciate the bed if they need utility more than a 3rd row. I am an example. I am a long time Dodge customer, when my wife and I considered a Durango to replace my Grand Caravan, we ended up with a Honda Ridgeline. We looked at it this way: 1)we have her 2017 Pacifica if we need a 3rd row and we only have 2 kids so a 3rd row is not a necessity to us, 2) our camper only weighs 4100lbs completely loaded, so we didn't need loads of towing capacity as that is our heaviest trailer, 3) we do not do serious off-roading, at worst rutted and slightly muddy gravel, 4) not having 2 wet and muddy dogs inside the vehicle would be nice after duck hunting (along with other wet gear when I kayak or go fly fishing). Sure, we could have bought a body-on-frame mid-sized truck or a even a half-ton, but I don't need the off-road or towing capabilities, just the bed, so the Honda offered that and also drives nicer and gets better fuel economy than those options. Had Dodge offered a Durango truck, I would not be driving the Honda today (it is great and unless the needs listed above change my next vehicle will be another Ridgeline or one of its new competitors, but I like the looks of a Durango and again am a long-time Dodge customer).
JGeske
Intermediate Driver

I have wanted to see a Durango flavored competitor to the Honda Ridgeline (and now Hyundai Santa Cruz and soon to be Ford Maverick) for years. Especially with the new Tow n Go Durango variant. Good looks, great driving dynamics, more than enough towing capacity for the average guy. Honestly, the name potential is even simple: the RAM-page (although I would laugh my you know what off if they called it a Dodge Dur-kota). I would also be happy to have them dust off and update the 2006 Rampage concept as that was pretty cool.
JSievers
Advanced Driver

Many automakers offer such body styles today, but for me the "improvement" in looks is not worth the loss of utility.
Tsaxman
Detailer

Hmm, 21st Century noir, with an apparent misunderstanding twist?

As Charlie Sheen might say, "Coke and whores, what could go wrong?"
-Nate
Detailer

More like a 'bodice ripper' but well done .

I too wonder how/why they call any four door a coupe .

-Nate
TonyT
Instructor

Wow, Jack. Either you secretly don't like Honda's or you despise plastic trash cans. Tsk, tsk.
markvii1
Intermediate Driver

Brilliant! The most common place to see overpowered Dodge anything is at the body shop. This story had me floored laughing. Reminded me of the Suburban High Country review on this site and the Caiden's and Camden's. Awesome read, and thank you.
elldorado2000
Intermediate Driver

Let's get back to calling 2 door cars and trucks, coupes. I don't know when this business of calling 4 door vehicles couples started, but it's misleading.
Hymie60
Intermediate Driver

When did a 4 Door become a coupe?
-Nate
Detailer

When a NON enthusiast figured out they could make money doing it .

=8-( .

-Nate