cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

What If? 2021 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme | Hagerty Media

Welcome to What If, a new feature from imaginative illustrator Abimelec Arellano and Hagerty. We'll be taking you back in time-and possibly forward into the future-to meet alternative-universe automobiles. Even better, our time machine is working well enough to bring "short take" reviews along with the photographs and advertisements.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/what-if/what-if-2021-oldsmobile-cutlass-supreme/
42 REPLIES 42
mshb
Pit Crew

Interesting premise, but based on using a Camaro as the basis, this would be a big no. Olds never used the pony car as a basis for their vehicles, so for me, this doesn’t further any legacy of the brand....
PGA2
Pit Crew

Agree 100%. The 2021 Cutlass Supreme would probably be based on the Malibu platform instead. But, since Oldsmobile is no more, the point is moot.

Phil in TX
PGA2
Pit Crew

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I owned two Olds Cutlass autos, a '76 Cutlass S 4-dr and a '78 Cutlass Supreme Brougham 2 dr. Both cars were pieces of crap. Probably two of the reasons Oldsmobile is no more.

Phil in TX
TG
Instructor

oldsmobile omega?
Unbalanced
Intermediate Driver

While some aspects are enviable of a dimension where Oldsmobile is as hot as politician turned rapper AOC (Covid 19 just a “scare,” badass Mark Reuss), it’s a bit of a bummer to learn that SUV’s take over the world in every possible universe.

As to the Cutlass, a recent article elsewhere listing each year’s top selling car over the past several decades reminded me of the mind blowing volumes that this midsizer once moved. Capturing perfectly the Zeitgeist of the transition from the Greatest to the Boomer generation, over a four year period from ‘78 to ‘81 we’re talking close to two million Cutlasses (Cutlassii?) sold, something that no Taurus, Accord or Camry has ever managed.

Would a Camaro based Cutlass hardtop capture any of its eponym’s magic? In a world in which a Ninety-Eight monster truck is as lusted after as our Escalade, I think not. Just as fat walleted shoppers walked right past gleaming ATS-V’s in Caddy showrooms to get to their seven passenger behemoths, I expect that one per-center’s looking to cash in on some of the huge appreciation of their KMart stock after its takeover of Amazon would barely cast a glance at this fetching lowrider.

Still, as Bizarro Reuss would say when questioned about shoppers’ complete lack of interest in the new Cutlass: “Screw ‘em, I like it!”

5869Corvette
Pit Crew

Jack, you write some interesting stuff but this flight of fancy is pretty much a waste of time. If you want to theorize about “what if” why not help the carmakers get off their conservative wallets and help them design some cool looking electrics... they are coming anyway so let’s at least not make them boring.
ReinholdWeege
Intermediate Driver

yeah @jackbsruth, why don't you write something about how electric cars could offere more styling freedom if car companies weren't so conservative!? You should write THAT.
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

LOL! I guess Jack figures Hagerty has plenty of writers who do thoughtful, captivating articles about cars, car maintenance, and car culture. Somebody else has to do the right-wing ranting and whining; and running out of steam on those fronts...well...heck, just make stuff up! Beats real research and journalism any day! Go Jack!
64jeepsrt
Intermediate Driver

I second that! you wont be able to go far in a EV, so you might as well look good for as far as you can go...
Rick
New Driver

It would make much more sense if this was the 2021 Pontiac Firebird. The split grille is even already there.
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

I'd like to see these with 2 inches less of lower body cladding, and lowered down a tad to match. Pretty cool though and fun colors!
Orict0015668
Pit Crew

Not mentioned in the article was “President Sanders’” proposal for the immediate elimination of all gasoline powered passenger cars, SUVs and crossover type vehicles. Existing gasoline powered vehicles would be subject to an additional yearly federal carbon tax, based on mileage, age and vehicle emission standards. A federal tax subsidy would be provided for purchases of electric vehicles, the producers of which, both foreign and domestic, are heavily invested in by Sanders and other “leaders” in Washington. Oh wait, that’s not fantasy, it’s already on the drawing board.
ReinholdWeege
Intermediate Driver

You're smart to use a false name. This might otherwise force you into a leper colony or re-ed camp in a few years.
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

You will be made to ride in a self-driving electric car.
And their little enthusiasts will all squee about what a good boy you are now.
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

Aside from the cool lack of a 'B' pillar, to me, this simply looks like a customized Camaro. Only sharp eyed enthusiasts would notice the "Olds"? emblem. Since the latest Camaro is MORE of a pill box than the last one, it simply doesn't work for me. Sorry, interesting alternate concept, but it just doesn't say "Cutlass Supreme"! 🙂
Tim
Instructor

Wasn't that what a lot of the GM variants were? Barely discernible variations of the same vehicle?
leduced
Intermediate Driver

Rear design needs to be redefined, too much "Camaro" looks. Front too low, will scrape parking blocks. Needs a few "traditional" color choices. What dealers will sell these?
Cincyjeeprs
New Driver

Loved the article! Had a '75 Delta 88 Royale, complete with the vinyl roof and velour upholstery.
But, somebody is going to get fired over this.
It's not April 1st yet.
DesertGoat
New Driver

This would work better on a car with A body-like hardtop proportions and sensibilities...oh, that's right, GM doesn't have anything like this.
Glen
New Driver

After all is said and done with this idea and this platform, it is still just another Camaro. It has nothing to do with anything Oldsmoblie ever built.
Tom9716
Intermediate Driver

Jack, I think the other commenters are taking you too literally. This was a well written, sarcastic take on the Oldsmobile/SUV conundrum that faces buyers today. For a flight of fancy, the article was perfect. Don’t be afraid to give us more.
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

It had all the right things wrong with it.
Tell you what: first glance made my heart skip a beat.
Joee383
Pit Crew

If we are going alternate reality why not have Stellaris pick up the Olds brand, since they don't have enough brands. Then they could make a 442 basted on a Charger Hellcat. I could then have a Hellcat without having the same kind of car as Al Bundy.
Tim
Instructor

I think the problem with this premise is that we know why Olds was killed. It's because if GM was going to make an Olds Cutlass Supreme, they would have warmed over a two-door version of the bland Malibu rather than make an upscale Camaro as seen here.

But the fundamental issue is that there really isn't room for four or five levels of class distinction (Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Cadillac) in the same vehicle. These days, we demand better quality interiors even on "average" cars. Two brands are enough--a regular brand and a luxury brand. So the Cutlass Supreme would be a trim option on the Camaro with a better quality interior.
mshb
Pit Crew

Wow, I love all the chitchat this article has stirred up! We must all be old timers that actually remember this brand when it was a best seller. For me, even with the demise of Pontiac, it just shows how much time has past and how much has changed. US now surpassed by China for most new vehicle sales, EVs and other brands now capture the fancy of buyers, not to mention SUVs vs traditional cars. The good news: vehicles have never performed better, and there are sure to be more excitements ahead. And while fond memories of vehicles of our  younger days will continue to hold a warm place, for most we’d not go back to fussy carburetors, low hp, 3 speed autos, rust, cassettes, and cold steering wheels and seats!

Rider79
Instructor

Well, maybe keep the cassette player - I have about 90 mix tapes I love to play.
silverado
Intermediate Driver

I would rather have a buick anyday.
Maestro1
Instructor

I am a multiple Cutlass owner and this is atrocious. I absolutely don't understand the popularity of this designs and others like it, which is the first issue, and why anybody would release this into the market when there are designers who are gifted, understand the words curve and harmony (in design). You can do better than this. It's confused and ugly. And I haven't had my coffee yet.
Rider79
Instructor

Maybe you did not notice that it was a basically a JOKE.
Rk2plus2
Pit Crew

Looks more like the Trans Am recreations some companies are doing.
eighthtry
Intermediate Driver

All of this "what would Oldsmobile Do" is garbage. The story says that Olds is the strongest brand going. Strong because of their innovation. That Cutlass looks much better than my 74. I can picture in my mind what my Regency would look like. I have penned it in for my next purchase in a year or so. My only regret is there is no 6-7 liter supercharged offering on the Regency. Maybe 2023
Spuds
Advanced Driver

Hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!
sharpie
New Driver

Terrificly imagined what if article, keep them coming
SuperDeLuxe
Detailer

An alternate reality where Oldsmobile is alive and well? Sure, why not. There was something grand about that '83 Cutlass Ciera my folks bought in 1986. It was the realization of middle-class ideal, one that didn't fear layoffs or late mortgage payments. I miss that about the unambiguous stratification of car brands. Now it's the staid acceptance of one brand for all income levels, just pick your trim and your lease. All people are equal, some are more equal than others - as President Sanders once said. Everyone deserves an F150, some deserve a Platinum or King Ranch. Thanks Jack!
Geok86
Advanced Driver

My biggest issue with this “what if” article, is that if Olds is doing SOOO well....why would they need to use the Camaro in the first place?!?!
Jack_Hagerty

Well, in their strongest-ever year (1977) Oldsmobile had no unique platforms and only one unique engine --- the 403.
RSHMottoGuzzi
Pit Crew

Great that GM wants to bring back Oldsmobile. I own a 1954 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 since 1983. Love that car and all Oldsmobiles. They should of never retired the brand. However, the one shown in this great article looks almost exactly like the Camaro with Olds upgrades. If brought back I hope it sells?
Alikat51
Pit Crew

Love the concept, but would love to see your take on a modern '68-70 Chevelle, Cutlass size body. That's what we need back!
Jack_Hagerty

Actually, I've arranged to have 50,000 replicas placed on streets near you, badged as "Kia Stinger".

🙂
Rider79
Instructor

Thank the gods that none of this (except Bob Lutz becoming CEO, or POSSIBLY McCain becoming President) came to pass. That is a great colour on that "Olds Camaro", though.
Rider79
Instructor

Wow...reading the comments, I see that some folks just don't understand humor. Or, maybe it worries them.
ugotzangool880
New Driver

nice idea,but having owned 4 of them 68,70,72,and 74 it`s very disappointing to see a Camaro! if you were going to do it,make it look like any body style between 68-72. they were some of the prettiest cars back in the day.