cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What If? 1977 Cadillac Escalade

Welcome to What If, a new feature from imaginative illustrator Abimelec Arellano and Hagerty. We’ll be taking you back in time—and possibly forward into the future—to meet alternative-universe automobiles.

Didja ever hear the story about the time Rolls-Royce sent a representative out to chastise a pig farmer? They’d heard a story that a very wealthy fellow in the English countryside was using his Silver Cloud to haul his prize pigs to exhibitions. So the boys from Crewe went out to his mansion, knocked on his door, and waited for him to answer ...

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/what-if/what-if-1977-cadillac-escalade/

Replies (15)

Replies (15)

"Room for 5 inside, and 1 up top!"

-- Clark Griswold

Pit Crew

Put a double opera window in that rear side window to really give us that 70s vibe.

Padded vinyl top too, it would have been a special order to not have one likely.

Good job on this. I do think some of the earlier 60s Cadillac front end styling ideas would actually work better. This front end looks like some of the custom vans of the era that rather obviously just jammed something on there.

Detailer

I don't hate it.

Navigator

First thing that crossed my mind > https://youtu.be/768sFT_HZLA

New Driver

And now I know the inspiration for the Griswold's Wagon Queen Family Truckster. Other than the size and the fact the Truckster is based on a Ford Country Squire all this Caddy needs is some fake wood siding and it's even a color match. 

Pit Crew

It looks alright, but the wheels should be deluxe wheel covers not those BBS looking things. I can't think of anything that didn't come with steel wheels and hub caps in the 70's.

Intermediate Driver

Folks just weren't pretentious back then... The Greatest Generation would have scoffed at the silliness.... 

Pit Crew

No. Just no.

Pit Crew

Keep that idiotic Chip Foose away from it!

Pit Crew

I always thought the writing in Road & Driver was never quite as good as in the Car & Track magazine. They are right about the idea that Cadillac buyers are too sophisticated to fall for this badge engineered Suburban trick.  Suburbans are work trucks or Airstream haulers, not a luxury car.  I noted in the article something about "lease"?  I guess I am not sure what that is as it applies to a car?

Pit Crew

Classic!  The paragraph that begins “This, we think, is where the Escalade will fail...” is pure gold. Proof that there’s a sucker born every minute. 

Pit Crew

Yes Hearse. 

New Driver

A Cadillac station wagon was a non-starter because even putting a wreath and crest on a Suburban screamed hearse back when most people had Christian burials.

Intermediate Driver

No, No & No.  

Passenger

Davin needs to make this a project car !!

Navigator