cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you call a group of Corvettes? Collective car nouns, real and imagined

There are some wonderful collective nouns used to describe groups of various animals. For example, a “murder” of crows or a “tower” of giraffes. They’re not official names, true, but language is adaptable, and if enough people adopt a word, then the term can stick. Plus, new collective nouns can be fun, and I envy those that get to coin new examples.

In that vein, I thought I’d come up with some of my own nouns that describe groups of certain cars. 

Read the full article at Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/what-do-you-call-group-collective-car-nouns/

Replies (110)

Replies (110)

Many years ago Click and Clack of Car Talk fame held a similar contest and my fav was a “rattling of LeSabres”.

Passenger

I must disagree about the Highlanders - it would of course be a "clan."

Passenger

Since a corvette is a small warship, how about "convoy"? You get the alliteration -- a convoy of Corvettes. 

Passenger

The late auto writer and race car driver, Denise McCluggage, suggested a group of Toyota Prius should be a "smugness of Priuses."

Passenger

A collection of Rolls-Royce Phantoms and Ghosts as a haunt

A group of Jeep Wranglers as a corral 

A grid of Porsche Caymans are a bask 

A lot of Chevrolet Bolts is a charge 

Pit Crew

How about

an orbit of Solstice's

a Vista of Sky's

a serenity of Firefly's

an assassination of Lincolns

or more PC an emancipation of Lincolns

New Driver

A police official in Japan commenting about an accident involving 4 newer Ferraris described it as 'a gathering of narcissists.'  I suppose something in the quote may have been lost in translation, but the end result was apropos.  

New Driver

Obviously, the Highlanders are a "clan"!

Passenger

The Highlander comment was a joke, a reference to the 1986 film "Highlander". Well played, Brandan.

New Driver

How about a "bouquet of Lotuses?"

New Driver

A group of Ford Model A's would be the Alpha Group.

New Driver

Sounds like you've put some thought into this. I've referred to a bunch of cars as a "clutch" - even if they have automatic transmissions. Still have a Corvair, had many, ruminating on "flip." "Nader?" I like using the homonym with those Cavali... sorry, Cimarrons. Not sure that many will get it, though.

Navigator

For the Brits, a "flare" of Sunbeams and a "patrol" of Spitfires.

Passenger

I’m impressed with all that you’ve come up with but surprised to see nothing referring to “cats”. Such as a pride of Jaguars or a clouder (yes that’s the term for a group of cats) of Mercury Cougars, Lynx or even a collection of Bill Thomas’ Cheetahs. 
I don’t know that I can include any of Stutz’ cars here though...what’s a Bearcat?

Passenger

If you brought together a group of Trailblazers and Explorers, would you have an Expedition?

Navigator

Best one was the Subaru “cylinder head repair shop”. I thought that issue was a thing of the past until a friend bought one (used) last year and within a month had to-you guessed it-replace the head gaskets. 

Pit Crew

A breakdown of Biturbos (painful experience there).

Pit Crew

A pile of Leafs.

Pit Crew

A group of Suzuki Samurais could be a Ichizoku

New Driver

A squadron of Interceptors.

Pit Crew

having owned a number of not entirely reliable older cars I can add a "tow truck" of whatever brand / type you have in mind. 

Passenger

A seasoning of Cayennes.  

Pit Crew

A "field" of Pacers, as in harness racing.

A "fiesta" of Cordobas.

A "beachfull" of Malibus.

A "caravan" of Caravans.

A "sharpening" of Edges.

Sorry, if anyone hurled.

Navigator

A palace of Dauphines?

A constellation of Vegas?

A squadron of Spitfires?

A forest of Sprites?

A club of Sportsmen?

A wealth of Bel Aires?

A group of Chevrolet Bolts is of course a bucket. 

Passenger

More than 2 Suburbans: a Sprawl

more than 2 Ford Escapes: a Houdini

New Driver

By now can there be any more new collections? How about:

A periodic table of Elements or

A confusion of Navigators.

Passenger

Seeing as a Macan is an Indonesian word for Tiger it would seem appropriate to be a Sarang of Macans (Sarang is indo for nest/den). 

Passenger

Does anyone know where the front page photo was taken?...it looks like a museum display...credit to Brandan Gillogly with Hagerty...but no email contact info...

Pit Crew

Corvettes, hmm, would that not be a fleet?

Passenger