cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Checker Cab was to taxis, RTS was to NYC buses

There’s something special about the vehicles of our youth. The sight of one, the sound of it, the smell—they can all can trigger memories. Even if that vehicle of choice was a public bus. “People tend to gravitate to the vehicles they grew up around or spent time with, whether it’s Mom’s station wagon on road trips, a first car, or even a city bus used day-in, day-out,” says Evan McCausland, author of Rapid Transit Series Buses: General Motors and Beyond. The RTS first began operating for the New York City Transit Authority in Brooklyn 39 years ago on August 5, 1981. To those in metropolitan areas—New York City, in particular—that’s a big deal.

Read the entire article online at Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/what-checker-cab-was-to-taxis-rts-was-to-nyc-buses/

View Entire Topic

Ironically it's the "New Look" buses that do it for me and were present in my youth --but I am younger than the RTS design. I would guess that my area couldn't afford newer model buses for decades and that I was riding/seeing New Looks at the very end of their use in North America city fleets. Neat article.

Detailer