cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Welcome to Design Realization: Our industry insider peels back the studio curtain

Hello there! My name is Adrian Clarke. I am a professional car designer, earning a degree in automotive design from Coventry University and a Masters in Vehicle Design from the Royal College of Art in London. While I was there, one of my tutors was J Mays. (He used to bring in doughnuts.)
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-design/welcome-to-design-realization-our-industry-insider-peels-ba...
9 REPLIES 9
GoFast
Detailer

please don't bother with the next installment. I am sufficiently bored by this one.
AdrianClarke
Detailer

Just curious, what would you like to read?
73E3
Pit Crew

More, please.
AdrianClarke
Detailer

Thanks, glad you liked it. More coming!
CitationMan
Technician

Another great article! How much of this post-design process was covered in your design degree education? A little or a lot?
AdrianClarke
Detailer

Basically none. It’s not really ‘post design’; it’s all design work, it’s just this is the messy reality and not the fun ‘sipping espressos and sketching cars’ part. If a student is lucky they will have done an internship as part of their degree, so to some extent it will prepare them for life in the studio. I was extremely fortunate in that I ended up working for one of my ex tutors, so I learned a lot on the job.
CitationMan
Technician

One of my finance professors filled a blackboard with equations, and summed it up at the end of the class, “Well, this is how it works in theory, but never in the real world.”

So every field has its messy reality. In my finance job, we used to say “it is what it is” a lot.

AdrianClarke
Detailer

It’s frustrating when we don’t get things as good as they could be, because money or more likely time simply ran out. It’s like every profession: a professional will know where the mistakes are and what could have been done better, but luckily the public is generally oblivious.
CFH
Intermediate Driver

Please do write more. I like to hear how things are made.