cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

Was the 429 Ford’s peak muscle car engine?

The late ’60s is overflowing with tales of “What if?” For one, what if the post-war momentum in American performance hadn’t been challenged by anything other than the next-fastest car? For fans of Ford’s 429-cubic-inch performance V-8, a lot of what-ifs persist surrounding this engine whose flame burned to its full brightness for only a short spell. On this day of April 29 (4/29), we think it deserves some recognition.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/was-the-429-fords-peak-muscle-car-engine/

7 REPLIES 7
drjim
Detailer

I always heard it was "WIN On Sunday, Sell On Monday".....

Eric
Hagerty Employee

Fixed!

1d1a2d2a
Pit Crew

I will be running my "74 Gran Torino Sport with a 460 Interceptor, with 429 heads soon.

Lost it once on the street it as it jumped like a frog and wriggled like a snake. The most fun l have ever had in a car.....that l can speak of. Drive-on.

Sajeev
Community Manager

After spending a lot of time with a 1978 Mark V with DOVE heads, hotter cam, new timing chain setup (the last 460s had some weird timing setup) and a performer RPM intake, I can assure you that you will lose your mind driving that Torino.  I am actually kinda jealous of you right now. 

The only thing I'd do is run a modern catalytic convertor as the stock ones from that era were garbage.  I removed the cats (Texas) but it would be nice to make all that extra power and still be as "clean" as the original design. 

1d1a2d2a
Pit Crew

Catalytic what? lol

1d1a2d2a
Pit Crew

My '74 Gran Torino Sport was set up with Hooker Headers, which rotted out, Edlebrooke comp. 11 intake, 850 Holley, Scorpion roller rockers, and side mounted glass paks, turned out just ahead of the rear wheels. The sound was like a cigarette boat on land.

I don't think l ever drove it with the windows up. Thanks and be well.

Drive-on.

jeffdej
New Driver

what a massive slip in the art direction of the ad shown. the dragster is running a sohc and the car and ad copy touts the cobra jet. anyone have any experience w ford or jwt back then to know what happened?