cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

Volkswagen's little-known EA 128 was a 1960s luxury prototype with Porsche power

Volkswagen fully molted out of its people's-car skin in 2002, when it introduced the luxurious Phaeton. Built on the same basic platform as the Bentley Continental Flying Spur, among others models, it landed as an ultra-luxurious sedan available with an impressive selection of engines.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/volkswagen-ea-128-prototype-porsche-power/
6 REPLIES 6
audiobycarmine
Instructor

Well, the styling's certainly bland, but looking like a Mercedes/Volvo offspring doesn't hurt.

I'd have loved to see this come to fruition. It's ALWAYS good to have another player in the arena.
With the Porsche six, I'm sure it would have had its market and fans.
GordonH1
New Driver

On the other hand, those of us who were around in the sixties would probably have loved its simple lines. I could only afford a Renault 10 though.
Gary_Bechtold
Gearhead

I think it has an interesting style. Would have been a good idea with a little more power. It could have been a sort of BMW 2002 maybe but from VW?
drhino
Technician

Shame it didn’t make production. It would have been fascinating to see how/if it would have evolved.
hyperv6
Engineer

Reminds me of a Audi crossed with a Volvo.
DMcC
Intermediate Driver

Mix of interesting other cars in the background of the images: open top bus, another looks a little like an early Porsche or a Heb variant w/ flat glass but split windshield, maybe too a plastic kit car. Inquiring minds --- .