cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vellum Venom: 2019 McLaren Senna

McLaren touts the Senna as “the ultimate distillation of the company’s ‘form follows function’ design mantra. To observe the detailed work that has gone into every aerodynamic element of the McLaren Senna is mesmerizing.”

Truer words were never spoken—and design must indeed be mesmerizing when you're referring to a hypercar with a seven-figure asking price. At this level design must excite, but after taking 120+ photos of the Senna’s every detail, the excitement turned into data overload. Like beholding art in a museum versus Google image search, it’s impossible to cover every external detail in a single article you could comfortably read in one sitting.

So consider the endlessly complex Senna as a “must see to appreciate” machine. And here’s a starter kit for when you get that chance.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/vellum-venom-2019-mclaren-senna/

Replies (4)

Replies (4)

The Senna has always reminded me of one of the many fly-by-night supercar start-ups touted by its fly-by-night venture-backed creator as an industry disruptor. Lots of PR to tease it, maybe an official unveiling at some prestigious concours, a spate of on-the-spot orders by fools with deep pockets and little taste, then bankruptcy, scandal, and hard feelings. Maybe an extradition or two, maybe some prison time.

Except it's a McLaren and so it is none of those things. It's just ugly. 

Hagerty Employee

I thoroughly appreciate your critical observations regarding the Senna. If you do a little research, Mr. Senna was not an individual known for rational thought or actions. Forcing other drivers off of the course or being so peeved at another driver that he slapped him in the garage area. To me, his mercurial temperament overshadowed his prowess behind the wheel. That McLaren deemed him worthy of naming a car in his honor puzzles me, but I know that I am in the minority these days. I guess I'm part elephant, because I don't forget things like that. Your opinions about various items on the car that may be in harm's way and the (obviously) frightful cost to repair or replace them assumes that the owners (notice that I didn't say drivers) of these things would dare to operate them among the great unworthy rest of us. I'd be willing to bet that away from a roped-off area at a race track, you would be able to count the number of Sennas observed in the wild on one finger. Like the Picasso's you alluded to, this is will be considered art, and be treated as such. Not worth what it took to buy it, but art nonetheless. Another question: What will the McLaren Alonso look like?

Intermediate Driver

"Les Femmes d'Alger" is right! There is a lot going on here. That said, driving impressions are pretty flawless.

Pit Crew

Love the details. The Senna's always wowed me, and this is a fascinating example of why ... even though I didn't have the design explanations at the time. 

Hagerty Employee