cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

V-8 pairs that share displacements but not manufacturers | Hagerty Media

If you're an AMC owner and get tired of questions like "Why did they install a Chevy engine in an AMC?", this story is for you. Ditto Studebaker folks who must deal with people asking about the Ford 289 in their Lark.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/v-8-pairs-that-share-displacements-but-not-manufacturers/
125 REPLIES 125
Ark-med
Intermediate Driver

Also: Ford's 302 and BMW's S62 M5 V8s share the same 4,942cc displacement.
trikemaker
New Driver

chevy also had the 302 in 67/ 68 I know got ONE in a 37Olds
BillHanlon
Intermediate Driver

... and GMC 302 six cylinder engines popular with dirt track racers and hot rodders in the 50s.
Rich8
Intermediate Driver

Not the same displacement or horsepower
relton
Detailer

The first Chrysler B series engine was a 350, in 1958. Used in DeSoto. Displacement shared, of course, with GM's many 350s.
Reinhold_Weege
Advanced Driver

When I read "a special Mopar example that has long confused enthusiasts", I thought for sure it would be 360 ci V8s from both Mopar and AMC. However, the author found an even more obscure example... Congrats!
Al
Intermediate Driver

And Ford had a 360 V8 in trucks
beeser
Intermediate Driver

Ford also had a 360, famously used in '60's - '70's pickups.

Here's another one: While not a V-8 pair, both Ford and Chevrolet had 292s. The Ford was a member of their first OHV V-8 ("Y-block") series, and the Chevrolet was an in-line six, again used exclusively in trucks.

6-pairs? I figure it could easily be ten times that. The more modern use of the metric system to describe displacement makes it more difficult to identify newer engine sizes with those of the '50's - '70's. For instance, Ford made two completely different versions of the 302 (5.0L) and 351 (5.8L), the second group, from Ford's "Modular Family", were overhead cam, and came out in 1990. Included in that family was a second 5.8L that displaced 354 cubic inches, which was a Chrysler Firepower hemi, introduced in 1955. Also included in this family of Ford engines was a 5.4L, 330 cubic inches, which was the displacement of the DeSoto FireDome hemi from 1956.

There were also two different Chrysler 318's; the polyspherical head, 1957 to 1966, and the wedge head, 1967 on. There were often polyspherical and hemispherical ("hemi") head versions of many of Chrysler's '50s engine.

I'm just scratching the surface....

Rusty_Nuts
Pit Crew

I thought of that one too, but article was V8 pairs.
JimmyL
Pit Crew

If you are going into 6 cylinders. Don't for get GMC had a 305 V-6 along with Chevrolets 305 V_8.
I have in my stable 3 different 390's. 1961 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe 390, 1963 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 390 ( although technically a 394 ), and a 1967 Ford Galaxy 500 390FE. All 3 from different manufactures. I also have a 1963 Buick all aluminum 215 on an engine stand...lucky me...LOL

And yes we are "just scratching the surface. Thanks
Swamibob
Instructor

GMC also made a 350 cubic inch V-6 from that same architecture. Interesting engine.
morgdve
New Driver

GMC marketed/sold it as a 351. (half a 702 V-12!) But now you have 351 V-8 Ford twin displacement.

Airrecon
Pit Crew

Didnt do 6's
tigercat
Intermediate Driver

You have brought up the most widely used displacement. Ford even upped the 352 to 360 Cubic Inches for years in their truck line. I wonder how many can say this displacement was used three times by three different manufacturers?
FEFAN
New Driver

This is not two different manufacturers but sort of qualifies. Two identical c.i. motors with same manufacturer. The LEM (Lincoln Edsel Mercury) 410 c.I. in 1958 Edsel & the FE (Ford Edsel) 410 c.i. in 1966 Mercury. The LEM series of engines was introduced in 1957 and featured completely different intake ports from the 1958 FE series. The LEM intakes could be removed without pulling the valve covers. The 462 c.i. Lincoln survived until 1969 when a 460 c.I. variation of the 429 replaced it.
TG
Instructor

ah the good ol days where manufacturers all did something different and everybody wasn't building the same car... I did a search on 2.0l engines and one list shows 20 manufacturers currently offering one...
Jayci
New Driver

What about 427’s from Ford and Chevrolet and 428’s from Pontiac and Ford.I know that the actual displacement might differ,but they were marketed as such.
blwinterpeg
New Driver

This is a pretty narrow view. The Buick/Rover 215 cu in/3.5 litre aluminum V8 was probably used in more cars, on both sides of the pond, and for more years than any other engine I can think of.
NovaResource
Pit Crew

You’re not getting it. This article was about different engines with the same displacement. The engine used in the Rover was the exact same 215 as in the Buick. It wasn’t a different engine. 

farna
Advanced Driver

At first. Compare a Rover V-8 to the original Buick 215 now and you'll find that they are very different. The current Rover V-8 is a direct descendant of the 215, it's just been incrementally improved/changed over the years into something totally different. Not all the changes are "improvements" in some opinions.
WRLotus
Detailer

On the other hand, the 3.5 litre Rover/Buick/Olds V8 is not the same engine as the 3.5 litre V8 Lotus engine used in the last runs of Esprits. Same displacement, more or less, and both aluminum V8s made in England but different engines.  

lesrof2evils
Pit Crew

I thought Rover sleeved the 215 cylinders, but didn't find that to be the case. I drove a 62  Oldsmobile  F85 quite a bit. It had about 65000 miles and smoked terribly. It was still fast however.

TheFlow
Pit Crew

AMC and Ford 390 cu in. The AMC motor in Rebel, AMX and some Javelins. 4bbl at 315 hp and SST rated at 335 hp (I think). The latter was an under rated hp. The Ford came in 2bbl and 4bbl versions, in many cars from station wagons to Mustangs.
55Customline
Pit Crew

TheFlow, I thought the Ford 360 was a Truck motor that came out in 1973.  I believe it was an FE family motor and the base V8 in the '73-mid '70's Ford F-series trucks, the optional V8 was the 390 from the same engine family.  I never knew the 360 motor to be used in any Ford car models; however, the 390 was a mainstay in the cars you mention for many years going back to the  late '60's.   Later in this truck series, Ford switched from these FE motors to the M (Modified Cleveland) 351 & 400 c.i. engines.   These M series engines were in both Ford light trucks and several car models.  

TheFlow
Pit Crew

It was, I was referring to the AMC 390s. But same engine family from 290 to 401.
The 390 SST had higher compression, its in my X code AMX with roller. The AMC 360 was later when motors “tuned down”.
coop
Intermediate Driver

As a young teen, I fondly remember our '62 Country Squire and it's 390. Even learned to drive and took my test in it.
55Customline
Pit Crew

Sorry Flow, I misread your comment, I thought you were referring to the 360 engine, not the 390...Oops! You are absolutely correct in your comment.
TheFlow
Pit Crew

Sorry slow reply, internet issues.gg
beeser
Intermediate Driver

Cadillac also had a 390, 1959-1963.  BTW, AMC's 390 was also used in their SC/Rambler, based in their compact Rambler American (1969).

Another displacement that was used at least times: 302. Besides the well-known Ford and Chevrolet engines, Porsche's 928 5.0L was exactly 302 cubic inches.

You can get real inclusive if you go metric and count all the 5.0L V-8s.  Ford, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, AMC (304); Chevrolet made three (302, 305, 307)! That's just a start. I'm sure there are many more....

jwkoskela
New Driver

My 1959 Mercury convertible had a 383 with a two-barrel carb. I believe it was an FE series engine that included the 430 in Lincolns and Thunderbirds.
FEFAN
New Driver

Sorry, jwkoskela, I’m pretty sure your ‘59 Merc engine was part of the LEM engine series. Along with the 430 c.i. found in Lincolns, early square birds, Mercury’s and big Edsels. If the intake manifold was removable without removing the valve covers, it was an LEM series engine. They were also available with tri-power. Google LEM engines and all will be revealed.

jwkoskela
New Driver

You are correct. I Googled it after I made the posting and found out it was MEL not FE. Ford engines sure are confusing I now have a 56 with a 292 Y block and that I am sure of. I had a buddy in high school that had a 1960 square bird with a 430. It sure seemed fast at the time (1962).
ToniFHarder
Pit Crew

Cadillac 1st OHV V8 and Chrysler 1st Hemi were both 331.
OCULUSNY
Intermediate Driver

And I think that first hemi was what was in my Chris-Craft Continental in the mid-fifties, with a marinization by Chrylser Marine. I'm told the prior owner was having a hard time keeping it tuned...after he installed a blower on it! It's now running a GMxCrusader 502.
wsb1960tr3a
Pit Crew

What about rebuilding a Chevy 350 into a 383 stroker? Bored to 4.005 & stroked to 3.80. It always sounds like someone has put a Mopar into a Chevy when they say it has a 383 in it. Aftermarket, I know. But still.
NovaResource
Pit Crew

Because this article was about factory engines, not custom built ones. Chevy never offered a 383 from the factory.

John
Intermediate Driver

Not installed from the factory, but sold as a crate engine. Hot rod small block Chevys are 4.030 x 3.75 and Chevys crate 383 is 4.005 x 3.8. Yeah, lets really confuse the 383 market.
DT
Advanced Driver

Don't be such a grouch. You don't run this forum !!!
Diego
Detailer

I don't run the forum but I wrote the article. He still has a point.
NovaResource
Pit Crew

So I'm a grouch for making a statement about the intent of the article?  Gee ... hate much?

idontwanttobekn
New Driver

You missed a couple .
Cadillac had a 331 CI in 1955 and Chrysler had 331 in the Hemi and Spitfire V8's in 1956. The Chrysler 331 had the same horsepower for the Hemi and the Spitfire (Poly) engine also.
Hudson's 6 cylinder was 307, a number that should ring a bell with the Chevy fans.
SuperbeeBill
New Driver

Don't forget about the Chrysler B engine 350 cubic inch that was introduced in 1958 as opposed to the Chevrolet 350 ci motor that was introduced in 1967.
DaNorsk1
New Driver

Chevy offered a 400, the largest small block. Mopar had a 400, the largest B- Block. Ford also sold a 400 M which was a low compression replacement of the Cleveland engines.

Ford sold 3 varieties of the 351. The 351 M was a short stroke version of the 400 M. Then also 351 Windsor and 351 Cleveland.

Mopar and AMC offered 360 engines.
bobby5cans
New Driver

Don't forget the Olds, Pontiac and Buick 400's as well. Chevy had a BB 400 that was used in the early Monte Carlo's (among others) though they were technically a 402...aka a 396. I have an original little 400 torque monster in my 76 Monte Carlo. Used to have a 400 BB in a 67 442.

zachary
Pit Crew

I thought that the GM line of 350 engines would have been included since Chevy, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Buick all produced different 350 engines. Of course the Desota also had a 350. Other engines included the 302 Chevy, and 360 Mopar/ 360 AMC/ 360 Ford FE. Other engines included the 429 Fords and 429 Cadillac with two distinct versions for Ford, 400 Chevy, Pontiac, Buick and two different bore stroke Oldsmobies. Cadillac, Oldsmobile, and Buick had 425 engines, all different as well as the 400 Fords, and Mopars. Chevy and Ford marked 427 engines during the NASCAR years, although Ford's was actually a 426. Then there were the W and the Mark IV Chevy versions of their 427. GM also produced Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Buick 455's. Buick and AMC both had 401 engines. Does the Windsor and Cleveland Ford 351's and Windsor and Boss versions of the 302 and 351 count? There are others, but these are common displacements which were different engines.
Whatever
New Driver

Don't forget GM had at least two 350 cu. in. V8s. The common & well loved Chevy edition and the torquey Buick one.
lesrof2evils
Pit Crew

"the 383 Chrysler was replaced by the 400"
If memory serves there are bunch of 400cid engines although there none that = 400cid exactly.
Chevy small block 400
Chevy big block 400 ?
Pontiac 400
Ford 400
brians356
Detailer

There was a GMC truck 400, I had one that someone had swapped into a '64 El Camino w/ Powerglide.
Sk1959
Intermediate Driver

429 Ford and 429 Cadillac